Respect where it's due: BM/WW IR in History

Discussion in 'The Attraction Between White Women and Black Men' started by Silvercosma, Nov 26, 2006.

1. nobledruali

nobledruali Well-Known Member

:smt038

2. alexisnow

alexisnow New Member

Respect where it's due,.........................................

greetings to you sir,

i really enjoyed, and thank you for sharing your words here. your words are of truths, and were as well so easy on my eyes! i am alexis, so pleased to meet you sir. i hope your day is a very nice one please,

alexis

3. Neostumptowner

Neostumptowner New Member

jet was the only pub to print interracial dating and marriages in the 60s and 70s

4. nobledruali

Mark & Gail Mathabane

Love In Black & White DustJacket
    [​IMG]
    "A courageous, painfully honest, captivating love story."
    — Miami Herald
    "Remarkable...A thoughtful exploration of the complexities of interracial relationships and a great love story."
    — Lynn Neary, National Public Radio's "All Things Considered"
    Mark Mathabane, author of the bestsellers Kaffir Boy and Kaffir Boy in America, grew up fearing and hating whites in a South African ghetto. Gail spent the first ten years of her life in lily-white communities in Ohio, and feared the people her Texas girlfriends casually called "niggers."
    The two never dreamed of marrying outside their races. As many Americans gave up on the racial ideal of an integrated society, and two segregated, opposed, and hostile camps emerged—one black, one white—Mark and Gail fell in love.
    Love in Black and White is the dramatic, revealing and riveting story of how they overcame their own prejudices, society's disapproval, family opposition and personal self-doubts to be together. Woven into their intimate account of falling in love, getting married and raising children in the fishbowl of an interracial relationship are the beautiful, complex and heartrending stories of other interracial couples in America and South Africa.
    "A personal and candid account of what it means to break an intransigent taboo—and a heartwarming affirmation of love and commitment."
    — Kirkus Reviews
    "Intriguingly structured with alternate accounts by husband and wife, Love in Black and White is a hymn of praise to the power of love in the face of deeply felt societal prejudices...Highly recommended."
    — Library Journal
    "The Mathabanes write well of the sweet, nervous first days of their love, and they don't flinch from the bad stuff...As they show, all it takes is love, and defending yourself at nearly every turn."
    — front page, Washington Post Book World
    "The honesty that is deeply rooted in every paragraph makes this book a moving one."
    — Newsweek

Excerpts on the inside flaps
    "I felt completely natural around Gail when we were alone together, but as soon as we stepped out the door I became acutely sensitive to the way people regarded us. It was difficult for me to regard our love as an aberration in social norms. Only when people stared did I remember how deeply race as an issue still permeates American society."
    — Mark Mathabane
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]"One night on my way home, a black gang waylaid me. I would have been knifed to death had I not outrun them. A brick that smashed into my face, knocking out my front tooth, reminded me of the risks I was running for my refusal to consider all whites racist."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]— Mark Mathabane[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]"Love is complex. Sometimes it doesn't need to be understood. It needs only to be accepted."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]— Gail Mathabane's mother[/FONT]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

5. nocturnalmission

nocturnalmission New Member

I check this thread daily even if nothing new is posted... Sometimes to reinforce that which I already know, other times to draw inspiration from others who walk the walk of their convictions. While our community needs no validation, your thread provides an intellectual smorgasbord of those who came before us and those amongst us who follow their hearts and silence the ignorant. Keep feeding the flock!

6. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I remember that book it is one of my faves. I wondered whatever happened to him?

7. jaycece

jaycece New Member

this is a really great thread!
    i learned so much. keep em coming

8. DramaFree

DramaFree New Member

Jack "Galverston Giant" Johnson

BUMP

An old thread, but so inspirational. who knows, soon we might add someone from here on this list :D

I looked but didn't find my hero: Jack "The Galverston Giant" Jonhson.
    If ever there was a guy who can be said to have swagger, this is one! I read somewhere how he would drive a model-T, at a time when Blacks simply couldn't drive let alone own one -with white wifey sat beside him and speed down the road.
    The cops would stop him, give him a fine, at which he would pay double and say 'don't stop me on the way back' or something to that effect....in the 1900s, simply the stuff of legend!

[​IMG]
    John Arthur ("Jack") Johnson (March 31, 1878 – June 10, 1946), nicknamed the "Galveston Giant," was an American boxer. At the height of the Jim Crow era, Johnson became the first African American world heavyweight boxing champion (1908–1915). In a documentary about his life, Ken Burns notes, "for more than thirteen years, Jack Johnson was the most famous and the most notorious African-American on Earth."[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_(boxer)

9. Soulthinker

Jack Johnson was a amazing human being. He dates WW at a time when a Black is lynched for anything whimisal like looking at a WW.

10. stiletoes

stiletoes Well-Known Member

yep, he wasw amazing....

11. nobledruali

Gordon Parks & Gloria Vanderbilt

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Photographer and director Gordon Parks and jean maker and mother of Anderson Cooper, Gloria Vanderbilt, were an item for many years. While they started off romantically involved, according to reports, what the two had between them also developed into more of a very strong friendship. This bond stayed in tact until Parks passed in 2006. During their time together, Vanderbilt and Parks once spoke to the New York Times about their interracial relationship, and the anger it brought her family and confusion it created amongst people who knew Parks. Despite all that, they were down for one another no matter what.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. nobledruali

13. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

Wow, never knew about this one

14. Soulthinker

I did he mentioned it in his book.

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Great informative thread about IR. Thanks to all who have posted.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

A thread....for the sole purpose of linking to another thread, that shows an ancient couple

Noble u never cease to amaze me

17. mama

mama Well-Known Member

:smt042

18. Blacktiger2005

Blacktiger2005 Well-Known Member

I learn something new everyday. I did not know this one.

19. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

At least it's about a real couple and not some random brother standing next to a white woman on the street. I call this progress.

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

good point