Remembering Martin Luther King, Jr.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Tamstrong, Aug 22, 2011.

1. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

He looks better with a beard.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

yeah i heard that...hes human like everyone else.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Currentyy watching Martin's speech on the Democracy Now show on MindTV channel.
    He gave this one in London, Dec 7th 1964. If you can catch it asap, do so. It's phenominal. Exceptional. He was so ahead of his time.

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

u are so right. he was talking poverty and wages and housing back then .....unfortunately ...we still are.

the bible says the poor will always be with us.

6. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

7. Tamstrong

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Have you heard this particular speech before? It's rare in that it was only recently discovered in an archive by a curater and released.
    If you didn't catch it, he spoke of, among other things, that the world should create financial sanctions against South Africa...he spoke against nuclear war -- that "it isn't a choice between violence or non-violence, it's non-violence or non-existence"..Seriously, he may have had the vices of a mere mortal, but his mind, his heart, his visions, his mouth just transcended this earth. Mind you, he was not dramatic, nor emotional charged during this one... just had this flow of his mindset that was divine. Three days later, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i just heard snippets of different speeches. i knew ge would say something like that

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

im with u in that him messing around doesnt reduce what he done for everyone

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

12. Tamstrong

You're welcome. ;)

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I just realized the link-- apart from having the speech in written form of course - they also provide it in listening format and watch format. The watch format matched stirring Civil Rights struggle footage, set to his speech..l highly recommend that over all the others. lt's a must see for MLK fans. <3

14. Tamstrong

Yep, I had just finished listening to/watching it and was going to post it when I saw that you'd already posted about it. It was definitely an hour well spent...they did an excellent job with the video. :smt023

15. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

I like this WWBM/"pop art" edition of the pic. :p

[​IMG]

16. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

I walked the march/parade today in Denver...100s of people showed up...city park to civic center park...it was almost 60 degrees in Denver today ...such a beautiful day to honor MLK

The march that is shown in the movie Selma has an anniversary in two months...I think it will be another mark in history on that anniversary day

17. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

Happy MLK Day!
    Truly, no words can capture the effect this man has on many people's lives from the 21st century and on. He was a true visionary and a humane leader.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  18. Tamstrong

That's awesome, Lippy! They didn't do anything around here...it's pretty much just another day off to a lot of folks here in Shithole, TX.

19. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Listened to a couple of his speeches today. Haven't done so in a while and was really impressed by a speech he gave in England warning them against US-style racism and the ghettos and urban despair it creates. The popular media has erased much of the more progressive and internationalist ingredients of King's message in an attempt to politically neuter him. Respect due. Today made his philosophy more tangible than it has felt in a long time.

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Yeah right