Random Sports Talk

Discussion in 'Sports' started by goodlove, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Who saw ESPY's yesterday? What did you think?

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

3. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

Anyone watching the Pan American Games?

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I didnt know it was on

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

[YOUTUBE]mVH52CNYzoE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

Batter up!!!!!

This is funny

6. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Ex-Bears QB Erik Kramer apparently attempted suicide tonight, but survived.

The article mentioned the son he lost to a drug overdose.

I wonder if that was the reason.

Very sad. I hope he recovers and gets the help he needs.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Orrr..it could be concussion(s) related.

Feeling very bad for him...how old is he?. How bad was his attempt?

8. Bookworm616

He's 50.

They updated the article to quote his ex-wife as saying he suffered from depression since his time in the NFL.

We'll find out more as the story unfolds.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

We know the causes of depression falls under such a huge umbrella, but it just seems these NFL players who kill themselves have the same pattern..multiple concussions-depression-suicide.
    But then again, like you said, the death of his son could have triggered it.
    Damn though, if that place for them isn't a dark hell that they see no way out. I hope he recovers mentally enough to want to live.

10. Bookworm616

I totally get what you're saying. It could be that way, I don't know.

He did try to shoot himself and when the police found him, they found him with a non-life threatening wound. It sounds to me more like a cry for help.

I hope that whatever the reason for this attempt, he seeks and receives the help he needs.

Former NFL quarterback Erik Kramer “shot himself Tuesday in a suicide attempt, but survived,” according to law enforcement sources, per Andrew Blankstein of NBCNews.com. The incident occurred in a Los Angeles area motel.

Blankstein noted that Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies were called to the motel for a welfare check and found Kramer with a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

Kramer's ex-wife Marshawn said, per Blankstein, "He is a very amazing man, a beautiful soul, but he has suffered depression since he was with the Bears. I can promise you he is not the same man I married."

She also noted that she believes Kramer has suffered years of depression due to his time in the NFL.

Blankstein’s report pointed out that Kramer’s son—who was a high school quarterback at the time—died in 2011 from a drug overdose.

Kramer played for the Atlanta Falcons, Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears and San Diego Chargers in his career and even led the Lions to the NFC Championship Game in 1991. His best individual season came in 1995 with the Bears, when he threw for 3,838 yards and 29 touchdowns.

In all, Kramer appeared in four playoff games throughout his career, which started in 1987 and ended in 1999.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ers-gunshot-wound-in-apparent-suicide-attempt

11. Bookworm616

It appears you were right:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Former-NFL-QB-shoots-himself-in-apparent-suicide-attempt-38842349

Former Bears QB Erik Kramer was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound by the Los Angeles County Police Tuesday evening as a result of a suicide attempt according to the Washington Post. Kramer’s ex-wife has said that he has been suffering from depression caused by brain injuries.

Authorities were called to a motel in Calabasas, Calf, where Kramer had been staying. At first, it was described as a non life-threatening injury. However, Kramer’s sister told his ex-wife that it was more serious.

Kramer is from California who played college ball at N.C. State. He is best known for his stint with the Lions where he led the 1991 team to a 12-4 record and a playoff win that season. He then went on to play for the Bears from 1994-1998 where he threw for over 3,000 yards and 29 touchdowns in 1995. He ended his NFL career with the San Diego Chargers in 1999. Kramer finished his career with over 15,000 passing yards and 92 touchdowns.

In 2011, Kramer’s 18-year old son, Griffen, died of a drug overdose. He and his ex-wife have another son, Dillon, who is 17.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Awful no matter how he got to that point. Suicide for many is not seen by them as weakness or despondency, it's purely to stop the voices/pain/nightmares/ravaging disease or whatever. When external help no longer works, it's hard to help the desperate. Pure tragedy.

13. Bookworm616

I hate to admit this, being a woman, but I mostly don't believe anything coming out of female sportscasters' mouths.

I'm sure some of them are legitimate in their knowledge, but I just feel most of them are being fed what to say by a man.

It's horrible, I know, but they just don't have credibility to me. It likely stems from the fact that I know that they could not have played most of the sports they're commenting on (football, hockey, etc.)

I really just don't like women sportscasters.

And yes, I'm aware that I've set women back decades with my thoughts on this, but I just had to get it out. LOL.

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Tbh i really dont care. Theres some guy who appears on espn all the time talking the odds and the over and under.....trust me i know that dude never suited up.

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I get what u are saying tho but it really doesnt bother me

16. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

OMG I absolutely agree! Although that new lady coach (intern I believe) for the cardinals played...against men no less!! Still, I have no patience for female sportscasters. I 100% believe they were hired as a pretty face and are definitely being fed whatever they're saying on camera. I like to see their outfits and shoes, but other than that they can pie hole it imo

17. Bookworm616

It's nice to know I'm not the only female who feels that way.

Yes, I agree about the intern coach on the Cardinals and the female referee - I believe they've earned their "stripes" to be doing those jobs. I have no problems with them and actually applaud them for breaking through.

But, the female sportscasters - I feel like they're there to fill some sort of quota or something.

18. Bookworm616

Ugh.

This horrible Patrick Kane investigation chaos is going to make this upcoming hockey season horrific for us non-hockey fans.

I already have to endure in my Facebook feed every.single.time the Blackhawks score:

KANER!!!

TOEWS!!!

CRAWFORD!!!

HAWKS 2-0!!!!!

And so on and so on. Everyone becomes a sportscaster when the Blackhawks play. It's obnoxious.

Now with the rape allegation falling apart, the Blackhawks fans have become especially insufferable.

I must find a way to block all mention of Blackhawks on my Facebook feed.

19. goodlove

goodlove New Member

That has been a crazy story

20. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

LSU

mark my words ... wait for it