Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

My feeling is this... If a teacher happens to be a licensed gun owner/concealed carry... That's one thing. However, for the NRA to suggest that arming teachers for the purpose of engaging a shooter in school as a solution... I think it's reaching and nothing short of moronic. Do teachers not have enough to do already? Of the teachers I know their first instinct would be to protect the kids (even with their own body) over trying to be a hero and engage the shooter. Also... I imagine a shooter is looking to hit as many targets as possible, and knowing that they have to act quickly and with the element of surprise to accomplish their goal. That said... They're not exactly going to announce themselves. The teacher would have to get their firearm, and so on. Also... LEO's are trained for these situations, and my understanding is that the training doesn't stop. Where does this fit in for teachers who already barely have time for educational obligations? Remember... They're regularly staying late, coming in early, taking work home, and woofing down their lunch because they have barely 20-30 min before they have to be back to their duties.

The article you posted.... OK. With a phoned in threat... I'd say they'd do better to call 911, and let the professionals handle it. The difference is that these shooters have been using a different strategy. They're attacking without warning.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

That's all bullshit.

America is no more inherently violent than any other Western industrialized society. The difference is we have a proliferation of weapons designed to kill people saturating the country.

Italy, France, Germany, the UK, Greece, Denmark, the Netherlands, Japan, Norway and many African countries don't have near the percentage of gun deaths that we do here in the USA.

Obviously, it's because most countries have restrictive gun laws to prevent random people from owning one.

The defense against tyrannies in a modern society is the democratic process. Other than that, NO 21th century revolution happens without the participation of the MILITARY.

All this NRA fantasy crap that a few million Americans with guns can overthrow the federal government is a nihilist right wing fantasy.

Ruby Ridge and Waco should have proved that already.

You right wingers keep supporting politicians who vote to fund the Pentagon at the rate of hundreds of billions of dollars EVERY year, then suddenly believe your ammo cache and semiautomatic rifle is going to take out Uncle Sam.lol

Ban semiautomatic rifles, force every gun owner to register their weapon and buy insurance to own a firearm, require all gun dealers to be held liable when weapons they sell are resold to criminals, and overnight America's gun violence problem would drop 1950's levels.

The NRA became the lobbying wing of the arms manufacturing industry years ago and they've been peddling whatever crap they can think of to gullible people why they NEED to have a gun.

There are politicians nationwide who are going to be out of work because they support the bogus right to own a gun over the lives of the innocents killed by those same guns.
    Hopefully it will be enough to make other legislators stop selling their souls to the gun lobby.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  3. andreboba

You're seriously delusional if you think these teen protests against gun violence are being orchestrated by George Soros.
    Most Americans aren't emotionally attached to owning a firearm. Most Americans have never held or own a gun.

That's no left wing conspiracy. Most of us perceive guns for what they are, weapons specifically designed to kill as many people as possible and we'd rather not be around them.
    Or choose to live in a place where everyone feels the need to be armed.
    Normally that's called a war zone.

And WTF are you talking about?? You just compared Hogg to Adolf Hitler and Nazi propaganda.

Answer the question, do you think Australia was right to ban personal ownership of firearms??
    I think you're the only Aussie I know of who isn't in favor of common sense gun control.

4. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Reading these posts like...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

To your first part on arming teachers..
    Why not? Some can be some don't have to be. Its already been going on for years, decades...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Curious....If you had a child, which school would you prefer they be at..?

[​IMG]

Or...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would you feel safer for your child here?
    Or no?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Indeed, as we see, there are teachers who can do both. (and have been.)

Furthermore, the recent Baltimore "domestic violence" shooting serves as another example...

"...After firing the handgun, Rollins kept walking through the school, where he was confronted by school resource officer Deputy First Class Blaine Gaskill just after 8 a.m. Their weapons went off simultaneously 31 seconds later, with Rollins shooting himself in the head and Gaskill shooting Rollins in the hand, officials said..."

I do think we need to be realistic here..guns are here to stay so we better be prepared and safe, than idealistic and sorry.
    Per your second point, I'm not sure calling in the 911 professionals to handle it automatically works at this point.
    We saw what that did for the students in Florida. We see what they do during times of distress in communities. They fail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the things that people who own guns learn is that the police are not here to protect you - the Government is here only to ensure your Liberty, that you have freedom of movement, but they are not obligated to protect you. That is up to you. It is a fundamental understanding that occurred back when the British too attempted to control the U.S. The People took control.
    And for this reason alone, is why l feel safer with a man like this to protect us...

[​IMG]

Than this...

[​IMG]

6. K

K Well-Known Member

In our town, they are asking for 2 officers at each school. It won't happen. There's been threats called in at many of the schools over the last month+. Lots of lockdowns. Lots of issues have been uncovered with the policies that are currently in place.

I do have children. My children are or have all been homeschooled. I've been hearing that large numbers are pulling their kids out of schools and/or considering/planning to not return to the schools in the fall.

Arming teachers or not are not the only 2 options there are. I don't think setting out to arm teachers is the way to go. There are already enough issues with whether or not teachers are able to teach adequately, why the hell would anyone want to put something more on them?! There are ways to make the schools safer, and if there is a need for arming someone, it shouldn't be a teacher.

Does that mean that I expect the police to protect us? While that would be great, I'm not stupid. I've witnessed first hand way too many things. I live in this reality, not just theorize about it.

7. andreboba

Typical NRA shill BS.

The solution for too many fucking guns in our society is.....MORE fucking guns.smh.

Do what inner city schools have done for decades to reduce school violence, install metal detectors at the entrances and hire PROFESSIONAL guards or off duty cops to patrol the school.

Arming teachers to protect themselves is insane.

This country is goddamn primitive and backwards thinking when it comes to gun violence.

8. andreboba

9. DudeNY12

My issue is that teachers are educators, and not LEO's. There's a huge difference between a teacher who may be an experienced gun owner and a trained LEO. We hear often from LEO's about dealing with the high-pressure/stress of suddenly being in a situation where drawing/discharging their firearm is necessary. In this day and age we're all aware of the "other duties as assigned", but teachers carrying guns to protect against a shooter... That's far as one can get outside of the scope of a job. Frankly, I think it's a horrible idea and the NRA's sole motive for suggesting such is that they simply want their own way, and don't give a crap about anything/anyone else.

So you want teachers armed? What happens when an armed teacher in the heat of things is spotted by police (when they eventually arrive on the scene)... How does the police know this is a teacher (good guy) vs. the shooter(s)? What happens in a non-shooter situation where someone other than the teacher (such as a student, angry parent etc) manages to get their hands on the gun? What's the expectation of the teacher during classtime? The teacher who mistakenly shoots a student, another teacher or even police? How about the teacher who's driven over the edge by any numbers of stressors and he/she is armed? Are the splitting time scanning their surroundings for suspicious characters whom they may need to engage? They can't do this and effectively teach at the same time. So, in this situation that you and the NRA favor... I see an extremely dangerous situation where the potential for harm to innocent people is great.

One teacher I know summed it up perfectly..."We have more than enough to worry about already. If I wanted to perform those duties for a living I would've chosen the law enforcement profession".

The kids and teachers are scared, outraged for good reason, and all we have are a bunch politicians who don't have the balls to stand up to the NRA. They've been offered nothing but BS solutions and "thoughts and prayers". I'm thrilled that many of these students will be voting soon.

10. K

K Well-Known Member

It's a way to shift responsibility. Let's put it all on the teachers now.

Can you imagine the minute the first child is shot by a teacher?

People have lost their damn minds!

11. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

A. Fucking. Men. If I could upvote this comment twice, I would.

12. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This is the dumb shit we get when weak people are in charge. Mofos who have never been in so much as a fist fight want to dictate fire fights. Smh

13. andreboba

BTW, does Bliss support law enforcement or not??

Most cops want semiautomatic weapons banned and off the streets. I would think a big blue supporter would hold the same point of view.

14. DudeNY12

Yup! Totally! The orange one acts like he's tough, and of course his fans think he is which in itself is funny. How tough can you be when you've likely always been protected by someone else. Even on the campaign trail... with the exception of the debates he always acted nice in people's face, and then talk shit afterward. Yeah, of course Cadet Bone Spurs is a tough guy, kinda like he's a genius and weighs 239 lbs.

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Voting for what? To abolish the 2nd Amendment? Is that the goal?

The arming does not have to be every teacher. Some classes might have a gun locked, others the teacher armed. Similar to an air marshal, a student or parent visiting would not necessarily know who is armed and who isn't.
    It should be voluntary. As the examples earlier showed, there are teachers with the wherewithal and mental faculties to handle being armed.

Quite honestly, DudeNY, I'm getting a bit sick of people assuming that those with firearms are unstable and/or incapable of handling one - there are 300 million guns in this country - most of us have learned how to use one, we know how to use one, and we don't turn to it in times of stresses. Most of us know the gun is strictly there for the sole purpose of self-defense.

Just because you feel some teachers (like your friend) would being incapable of being armed and focusing on their duties as a teacher, as well those here that support you who feel they themselves would be incapable of ever being able to handle or discharge a firearm, that doesn't mean the majority of people who've made the decision to possess one are.

Like all safety scenio details in infancy, they can be figured out. Your scenerious of a mental breakdown by a student or parent intent on causing harm against the teacher could very well happen with them also overpowering a secuity guard or cop at a school.. Should we now remove them, just in case? Or what if a security guard or cop loses it under stress? Should we remove them, just in case?

There are no finite answers at this juncture, however the days of kids being left as sitting ducks in "Gun'Free Zones" should be over.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I know they do and l'm totally opposed to it. They want ALL guns banned. They want to he the only ones armed. No way.
    I need to protect myself. Sorry.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

He has to he protected because there are LUNATICS who openly despise him who wish him great harm. It's not mentally healthy to hate so intensely and getting mental help should be considered for such levels of toxic rage.

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You decribed most of the (protected) DNC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Why do you give the NRA such incredible power? Their lobby dollars are very minute compared to others. The DNC actually get 10X more from ant-gun lobbyists.
    I think you forget this: the inalienable Right to own and carry is what is always at stake, people vote on that, not because the "NRA control Congress"

20. DudeNY12

Voting for someone who are open to real solutions instead of "thoughts and prayers", and trying not to upset the NRA.

You can feel however you'd like about firearms. My point is that it's easy to act like it's as simple as adding more guns to a situaiton as a solution. No one ever dsaid guns were a sole problem. Just that they have a role seeing as their a common denominator in these shootings. Of course the NRA (and supporters) want to hear nothing about guns.

Guards and cops... Yes, that's true, but a cop/suecurity is more likely to be on guard and not have other major duties, like teaching!

I'll be the first to admit that they're no finite solutions at this point, but this thing of immediately and continuously pretending guns aren't part of it makes no sense.