Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Loki on this one, that sexism and resentment over two terms of Obama is what helped Trump get elected. There are so many conservatives who will tell you they don't like the man's character or personality and think he's arrogant, and yet they still voted for him.
    The median household income of Trump voters in the primaries was $72,0000. That's not the working White poor living in trailer parks.

From TheGlobeandmail;
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ter-is-not-an-economic-loser/article32746323/

Americans who voted for Mr. Trump appear to have higher incomes than average. One analysis earlier this year found that Trump voters have a median household income of $72,000 (U.S.), more than the $62,000 average U.S. household income and more than Clinton voters earn. Even among his low-education white voters, only 14 per cent earn less than $50,000 a year, according to one survey.

Mr. Trump’s core strategy was built around a surprising U.S. reality: The number of white adults with no postsecondary education is about the same as the number of black, Latino and Asian voters combined.

His campaign relied on these voters in two ways: By tailoring messages to the economic anxieties and resentments of undereducated whites in a global economy, but also with attacks on Latino, Muslim and black communities.

A large-scale study published on Nov. 2 by two researchers from Gallup – Jonathan Rothwell and Pablo Diego-Rosell – analyzed 125,000 U.S. voters and found that Mr. Trump’s supporters do not fit the candidate’s narrative.

They found that voters with favourable views of Mr. Trump are indeed less educated and typically blue-collar. But the study confirmed that they have higher-than-average incomes and found that they are “no more likely to be unemployed or exposed to competition through trade or immigration” than average Americans or Clinton backers.

There was more White resentment IMO in play and fear about the changing demographics of the country than millions of people suffering under a failed economy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

3. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

And again, Republicans spent eight years doing the exact same thing to Barack Obama. Pot, meet kettle. Plus, I thought Trump was a master negotiator and dealmaker? It's not the Democrats' fault that he lied about that too. If he can't get his House majority to vote on things that he wants done, that isn't Democrats' fault.

And Donald Trump stated over and over and over again during his campaign that Mexico was going to pay for a wall. Not that we'd pay for and Mexico would reimburse us at some point. Even if Democrats did allocate some funding for the wall that doesn't automatically retract Trump's on words during the campaign. His wall, his problem.

Look, you're die hard conservative Republican Trump supporter. We get that, and that's wonderful. But the fact that you're a Trump supporter doesn't mean you have to defend everything he does. He had "the wool pulled over his eyes." Are you fucking kidding me?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Maddow did release Trump's 2005 tax returns yes, most folks want to see more recent than over a decade old.

Obama, Schumer and Clinton voted for a scaled down version of a border wall in 2006.
    The Secure Fence Act of 2006, which was passed by a Republican Congress and signed by President George W. Bush, authorized about 700 miles of fencing along certain stretches of land between the border of the United States and Mexico.

It’s also worth noting that the political context surrounding the 2006 vote was different, too.

Democrats normally in favor of looser immigration laws saw the Secure Fence Act of 2006 as the lesser of two evils, according to a Boston Globe report that detailed the legislative process. Around that same time, the House passed legislation that would make any undocumented immigrant a felon.

"It didn’t have anywhere near the gravity of harm," Angela Kelley, who in 2006 was the legislative director for the National Immigration Forum, told the Boston Globe. "It was hard to vote against it because who is going to vote against a secure fence? And it was benign compared with what was out there."

The act also authorized the use of more vehicle barriers, checkpoints and lighting to curb illegal immigration, and the use of advanced technology such as satellites and unmanned aerial vehicles.
    "They did vote for the Secure Fence Act of 2006, which authorized building a fence along about 700 miles of the border between the United States and Mexico.
    Still, the fence they voted for is not as substantial as the wall Trump is proposing. Trump himself called the 2006 fence a "nothing wall."

As far as Mexico paying for the wall, the last I heard Spicer was saying it would happen "one way or another."

As far as the payback, thats what I meant when I mentioned "gridlock at its finest" in my last post. Until we have an effective way of dealing with partisan politics, both sides will continue to be petulant, obstructionist crybabies when not in power, and the general public who keep voting one side then the other into office still hope against hope that things will change. I called the delaying, and obstructionist tactics from the Dems back in November here in the forum when some were very concerned that Trump would be able to do whatever he wanted with majorities in the house and senate.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You think l haven't enjoyed a game of poker?
    And pool?
    And chess? Love them.
    So Whatever.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

So 45 fired the FBI director while they are in the middle of investigating his ass? Interesting.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

He wasn't investigating Trump. He's a Director (was) Directing an investigation into Russian influence...that investigation continues.
    Comey lost his way and let his position cloud his judgement.

As every Democrat said, tweeted yellled and demanded: "fire Comey!"
    : )

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

He lost his way how? What did he do to deserve being fired?

11. Since1980

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

He overstepped his boundaries, over-stepped his duty lines, caused the American public to question the credibility and purpose of the FBI..that he headed. His position also answers to the AG, which he circumvented.

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

How did he overstep his boundaries? What did he do?

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

For starters...

The director [Comey] was wrong to usurp the Attorney General’s authority on July 5, 2016, and announce his conclusion that the case should be closed without prosecution. It is not the function of the Director to make such an announcement. At most, the Director should have said the FBI had completed its investigation and presented its findings to federal prosecutors. The Director now defends his decision by asserting that he believed attorney General Loretta Lynch had a conflict. But the FBI Director is never empowered to supplant federal prosecutors and assume command of the Justice Department. There is a well-established process for other officials to step in when a conflict requires the recusal of the Attorney General. On July 5, however, the Director announced his own conclusions about the nation’s most sensitive criminal investigation, without the authorization of duly appointed Justice Department leaders.

Compounding the error, the Director ignored another longstanding principle: we do not hold press conferences to release derogatory information about the subject of a declined criminal investigation. Derogatory information sometimes is disclosed in the course of criminal investigations and prosecutions, but we never release it gratuitously. The Director laid out his version of the facts for the news media as if it were a closing argument, but without a trial. It is a textbook example of what federal prosecutors and agents are taught not to do.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

^^^^^^

On July 5, 2016, the New York Times reported F.B.I. Director James Comey Recommends No Charges for Hillary Clinton on Email.

On July 7, 2016, Bloomberg reported Comey on Clinton: I See Evidence of Great Carelessness.

On October 28, 2016, just prior to the November election, the Financial Times reported Comey Opens New Probe Into Hillary Clinton’s Emails.

When Should Comey Have Been Fired?

The answer is July 5, by president Obama.

The following May 9 snip from Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein’s Letter to Trump Recommending Comey be Fired will explain.

The subject of Rosenstein’s letter to Trump was “Restoring Public Confidence in the FBI

17. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Lmao are you serious? Lmao omg you're hilarious

18. Since1980

Not as funny as it has been watching the right pretend that Donald Trump is even remotely qualified to be President. If I had to find someone to manage a lemonade stand and my only choices were Donald Trump or a broken doorknob, I'd ask the doorknob if it wouldn't mind coming in on weekends when things got busy.

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Lmao
    Good one and totally agree

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lmao

Should have waited to read that after the gym. Im weak af. Glad this isn't chest day. Lol