Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Dude it has a 30 billion dollar market value which is bigger than Twitter and Instagram combined. Not to mention over a billion dollars in transactions are done daily with bitcoin. What does being "there" look like to you lol. Shit it's worth more than Nike at this point with far more transaction power.
    Btw when we last spoke about this the market value was 8 billion. In a little over a year it's worth 6 times as much. How many other major investments are doing this well?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Impressive. Just wonder though if you have any concerns because it's all web-based that it might crash.

Per the value...what strikes me is that there are (were) a finite amount of "coins" ever "produced" that many are also just hogging away.

Also @ its investment value.. How could you ever "cash out"?

3. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Would you rather have her outright lie to people instead? Because that's exactly what Trump did. Whether it was on the economy, health care, building a wall, or a lot of other stuff he lied through his teeth consistently and some might even say convincingly. Coal ain't coming back any more than bell bottoms and platform shoes.

If a mom tells her six-year old that he has to finish his homework and his vegetables before he can go outside and play and his dad tells him he can have ice cream for dinner and play outside as long as he wants, who do you think the kid's gonna like better?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  4. The Dark King

Since she didnt have to lie she was pretty much unconcerned and out of touch with the things that mattered to them. She figured they voted for Obama so they'd vote for her. She spent far more time in swing states trying to appeal to conservatives. This was a populous election and it went to the populist. Had we voted in Sanders for the DNC nomination he would have won because he addressed those same concerns without the vitriol and the hate speech. Those people are fuckin g desperate. A lot of us liberals live in ivory towers and simply just don't get it and because of that the world hangs in the balance.

5. The Dark King

Well the great thing about it is you don't have to necessarily cash out since it is internet based. You can buy services and goods with it online unlike other commodities like gold silver or even orange juice you don't deal with fractions or the arduous labor of finding participating actors. It can function as money or a commodity and even if it doesn't function as fiat there are many other crypotcurrencies that will.
    It continues to perplex me that people accept a monetary system where entities control the supply at will and have pretty much monopolized it to the point that a handful of people can shape the destiny of billions. At least bitcoin doesn't allow that much while functioning as a true store of value.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Since1980

Would they really have voted for Sanders, though? Sanders was the ultimate big-government politician and I doubt that the same people that elected (and re-elected) someone like Scott Walker or any of the other Tea Party/Freedom Caucus types would suddenly start looking as more government as being the answer.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The reason a lot of them are desperate is because they are ass backwards. They vote against their own interests for one and for them to believe 45's lies is proof of how fucking dumb they really are. "Coal is coming back" ??? please.

Keep believing that logic is alive somewhere within the average person if that what keeps you somewhat positive. People believe all kinds of different things. That doesn't mean that it's true.

I knew long before the primaries were over that Hilary>>>>>45. Anyone thats not a knucle dragging moron could easily see that. Perhaps Hilarys fault is that she gave the people too much credit. They really are pathetically and perhaps hopelessly stupid.

8. The Dark King

Not all of them but those who voted for Obama in 2012 sure would have because they believe in change and wanted a non wall st. backed politician to deliver it to them. He was perfect for that and most importantly he had well thought out laid out plans that would have destroyed all the b.s. rhetoric. Making America Great Again would have never stood up to an actual well thought out plan. Clinton simply didn't even address it so it was a no brainer

9. The Dark King

True but there were a lot of intelligent people who were intelligent enough to see right through her. They couldn't stomach another career politician lying to them. Yes Trump lied his ass off too he just didn't have a record of lying to them.

10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying but I believe Bernie wanting a single payer health care system, forgiving student debt, and free college for all, would have been WAY too far left ideas for most of the people who voted for trump and centrist leaning democrats. To my knowledge (im willing to learn more on this) Bernie never put forth a plan to actually pay for such huge government entitlement programs without sending taxes skyrocketing.

I was talking with a buddy of mine the other day about why Trump won, he said something very interesting, he mentioned how after the first Black Ms. America, Vanessa Williams way back in 1984, the pagent faced a lot of outrage from the conservative right and bigots that a Black woman could ever be Ms. America. So much so that the next year they chose a Very blonde, blue-eyed, conservative (Mormon, even though oddly enough she was born in Paraguay) Ms. America in Ms. Utah to "atone" for Williams (although she did cause problems with the whole Penthouse scandal). My buddy said that after 8 years of a "Black" president, those same conservative, bigoted voters just could not stand it any longer, were no longer complacent, and were more than willing to believe a lot of the lies and fake news from the thousands of Russians hired to spread them about Obama and Clinton (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...k-warner-intelligence-committee-a7657641.html). It's an interesting theory, that I think has some truth to it.

11. The Dark King

I've heard that too but the problem with that theory is that the Obama voters who voted in a black guy twice obviously had no problem with his blackness they then voted for Trump based on economics. The turn out for Republican voters wasn't exactly record breaking. What swung this for him were the disillusioned who wanted a candidate that addressed them and their concerns. Obama did this Trump did this Hilary didnt.

12. Since1980

Well, now they have someone who lies more than any other career politician ever could. And if those people were really as intelligent as you claim they would have been smart enough to see that Trump was a snake-oil salesman from the time that he jumped in the race. If they were smart enough they would have pressed him to have actual, workable ideas and not just the pie-in-the-sky bullshit that he sold people throughout the campaign.

13. The Dark King

I never once claimed they were smart. I said they were desperate and he appealed to their desperation. Like I said she didn't even acknowledge they were hurting. All of these areas saw hard working people lose their way of life with literally no hope above working fast food to make ends meet while prices continue to rise. They felt forgotten and her comes someone who offered a way out. When your desperate you're willing to believe a lie over nothing.

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Disagree with you a little here, Trump never put forward and actual economic plan. Trump just gave general pandering and false promises that spoke directly to peoples fears (Muslim ban, building the wall), insecurities (bring back jobs, negotiate better trade deals, better health care with lower costs for "all") and desperate need for hope even if it was false (make America great again). It's still early, but he has not been able to deliver on "any' of these promises, and still faces a very tough uphill battle on most if not all of his promises. Any voter with even a basic knowledge of our political system knew that he would find it very difficult to deliver on those promises even with majorities in both houses of congress.

Im calling it now, if the Senate does pass this new healthcare bill, there will be unintended (and intended) negative consequences for many, just the way there were with the ACA. The insurance companies will continue to find ways to justify ever increasing premiums and co-pays while fighting tooth and nail to offer less coverage.

15. Since1980

Your previous post did say that they were intelligent. I equate being intelligent with being smart so I use those words interchangeably.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

There is a book out this week by l think two? reporters that were connected with her reporters who travelled with her, and they said that at one point she was on the plane and she turned to her advisers and asked "What am I missing, why can I get my arms around America"?.

I also listened to one of the top Union bosses in this country in an interview say that Hillary completely disconnected from them. That she forgot them.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Didn't Obama sell hope and change?
    Your premiums wont go up?
    You can keep your plan and your doctor?
    You will get $2,500 back in your pocket?
    Ours will be the Most transparent goverment ever?

Why do you give Obama a pass but berate Trump as a liar?

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

But Hillary is White.
    If it was Obama's race they disliked then they could have removed him in 2012. Why didn't they?

19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

The way I see it Bliss there is a BIG difference between being wrong, and flat out lying. Many did keep their plan and doctor, some did not, not everyone's premiums increased, in fact some went down, and overall the premiums increased at a slower pace post ACA than pre ACA http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2016/07/21/obamacare-premiums-are-lower-than-you-think/. Many forget that where premiums did increase it was due in part to hostility from the states http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-obamacare-rates-20161031-story.html http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-insurance-canceled-20140307-story.html

This is what I meant in my earlier post about unintended consequences. IMO, I did think that the Obama administration was naive in their thinking that the insurance companies would not rebel and opt out of the insurance exchanges when forced to offer more coverage, cover pre-existing conditions, and keep kids on their parents plan until age 26. NO law can demand all of those things and keep costs down, even with the help of federal subsidies, the shareholders of the insurance companies just would not stand for it.

On the transparency issue, I would agree that his was not the most transparent ever, another example of making an ill-advised campaign promise and then got a rude awakening once in office that in order to get things done in Washington ones motives and plans cannot always be transparent to the opposition. That being said, there were some successes and failures on the transparency issue http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/subjects/transparency/?page=2

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Yes she was White, but still a woman, racism and sexism are two sides of the same coin, and many viewed a Clinton victory as a 3rd Obama term. Basically what he was saying is that they wanted a return to their view of "normalcy" a White woman Ms. America, and a White man in the White house.