Prayer Requests

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Tamstrong, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Skylight

Skylight Active Member

This is awesome Books!

my thoughts and prayers go out to you Cher.

2. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Thank you!:freehug:

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Wow, the power of the WWBM prayer thread! :p

In all seriousness, wonderful news. Treasure your time with your pops even more now.

4. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Last night the area was hit with tornadoes, high wind, hail, flooding, and thunderstorms. The only casualty I've heard about so far was a long-time friend of the family. She was disabled and confined to a wheelchair and was unable to escape before her apartment flooded and she drowned. :(

Some homes were destroyed or had extensive damage, and there are downed power/phone lines and trees all over the place. There are quite a few family members and friends we've been unable to get in contact with, so I have no idea if they're okay or not. Most of the folks we have been able to talk to were okay, but a few have had to leave their homes due to severe damage, no power, and/or high water.

We got 6-8 inches of rain in less than two hours, and we were already dealing with flash flooding and the Trinity River overflowing due to all the rain we've had the last few weeks. We're supposed to get a lot more rain in the next several days, which means a lot more flooding.

My son scared the crap out of me by driving home in the crazy weather, because he was worried about me being at home alone during the storm. He left work early (where it was safe) and headed back into town while we were under a tornado warning. Thank God he got home safely. I told him not to ever do something like that again. It's scary enough that he's got to cross the bridge over the flooded river to get back & forth from his job.

Fortunately the only damage at my home was a cracked window pane, fallen limbs & branches, and lightning striking the tree in my front yard (again). My parents and their home made it through okay as well. Hopefully my brothers and their families are okay too.

Any prayers for everyone's safety and for those who've lost their homes, and for the loss of my parents' friend (my dad is taking it especially hard) would be greatly appreciated.

5. K

K Well-Known Member

Wow Tam - stay safe out there! Prayers for you and yours.

6. Tamstrong

Thanks, K; much appreciated! :freehug:

7. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

Be safe tam...I think we may need to just start building Noah's ark...Mother Nature is having some serious temper tantrums as of late...prayers in place

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Definitely lucky you and your family got out physica lot unscathed, Tam. Sorry about your family friend. She must have been terrified. R.I.P.

9. Tamstrong

Thanks, ladies. :freehug:

Thankfully it didn't rain as much yesterday as was expected, but there seems to be no end in sight. They do say there is a slight chance of a break from the rain on Wednesday though.

Fortunately for us and my parents (who live a couple of streets behind me) live in an uphill part of town, so we're a bit safer from our houses being flooded. The flash floods have been scary as hell though.

I can't even imagine just how terrified she was. Her sister was coming to pick her up and take her home with her since the apartment complex was prone to flooding, but the rain hit so hard and fast she couldn't get to her in time. My heart goes out to her, especially since she's the one who found her the next morning.

We're all used to crazy weather this time of year, but this much rain is unusual. Typically we don't get enough rain around here, but it seems like Mother Nature is trying to make up for all the years of drought all at once.

10. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Tam, I'm so sorry to hear of your family friend. That is awful and very sad.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and friends in the area, as well as all of the other residents who are affected. Hopefully the rain and bad weather lets up soon.

I cannot imagine my kid driving in that, so glad he's safe!

I am asking for prayers for a family who lives in my ex's neighborhood. My kids live in the neighborhood, too (part time with their father). Their home went up in flames the other night and they lost everything they had. Their cars were even burned. Terrible!

[​IMG]

11. Tamstrong

Thanks, Cher. :freehug:

WOW...thank God their lives weren't lost as well. Prayers on the way for your ex's neighbors.

12. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm a little late to the game.

My thoughts and prayers are with you ladies (and your loved ones), Tam and Cherok.

13. Tamstrong

Much appreciated, Bookie. :freehug:

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Shit that's like my worst nightmare

Living in apartment buildings and rowhomes, I thank god/knock on wood that a careless neighbor didn't burn down a whole block during all of my years. You always hear about complexes burning or multiple homes destroyed over some shit originating from one house/unit

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Prayers to Texas (Houston) residents during these trying times.

16. Tamstrong

The prayers are appreciated, Bliss. Thankfully it hasn't been as bad here as it's been further south. We've finally gotten a little break from the rain today, but it's supposed to start up again tonight. Everyone's nerves are on edge; this crazy weather is scary. We've been dealing with drought for so many years that all of this rain has been a huge shock to the system. Spring time and crazy weather go hand in hand around here, but this is on a whole other level. All we can do is pray, try to stay safe, and take cover when the warnings come. I'll be glad when this is over, which will hopefully be soon.

On a positive note, after the nearest lake being way below conservation level for what seems like forever, it's at 100% again. It rose almost 62% in the last month, and about 30% of it was in the last week.

17. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Wow, that's amazing and frightening at the same time. Mother Nature is nothing to underestimate. My prayers are with you and all the others trying to get through this ordeal safely. Many hugs and kisses lady. :freehug:

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Anytime, Tam.
    Nerves on edge, l can dig it. I read that a Houston waste water treatment plant overflowed sending 100,000 gallons of sewage into the rivers. And that a Dallas Dam might overflow..praying THAT doesn't happen.

19. z

z Well-Known Member

Same here.

Stay safe out there Tam

20. Tamstrong

Thank you. So much appreciated. :freehug: I've been a nervous wreck (yeah, I know I'm a weenie, lol), and I'm ready for everything to be safe and calm again. Mother Nature seems to be pissed off about something. It's mind blowing that there's actually a chance of the lake rising to flood levels since it was low for so long. I heard there have been idiots actually trying to get out on the lake with all of this craziness going on.

It sure was nice seeing the sun shining for a while today.

Yeah, it's at nightmare level in Houston and the surrounding areas right now. I'm praying hard for them and for the dam not to overflow. Like Lippy mentioned, we may need to start building another Ark.

Thanks, GZ. I'm doing my best. :freehug: