Pictured: The US police officer 'who shot an Australian woman, 40, dead'

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Um..Maybe because she wasn't the Mayor of where he was killed??

Funny thing is, the Mayor did speak out....
    Here you go now -

Falcon Heights mayor weighs ending St. Anthony police contract
    • Nick Woltman
    • PUBLISHED: July 12, 2016 at 6:45 pm | UPDATED: July 13, 2016 at 6:04 pm
    • Categories:Crime & Police
    [​IMG]
    Peter Lindstrom, the mayor of Falcon Heights, speaks during a news conference in front of Falcon Heights City Hall on July 8, 2016. BLM, AALC, NAACP and other community groups gathered to announce emergency task force with city officials and SPPD on police accountability policy and procedural changes. (Pioneer Press: Jean Pieri)

The fatal shooting of Philando Castile last week in Falcon Heights has shaken the tiny St. Paul suburb of about 5,600 people, which — until last Wednesday — was known to many only as the home of the Minnesota State Fair.

Castile, a 32-year-old black man, was shot and killed last Wednesday evening by St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez. Falcon Heights contracts with the St. Anthony Police department to provide law enforcement.

Threats and assault reported as protesters march on St. Paul mayor’s house

Falcon Heights Mayor Peter Lindstrom spent much of the past week speaking with residents and confronting issues the shooting raises about Falcon Heights’ relationship with the St. Anthony Police Department.

“This incident has really torn at the fabric of our community,” Lindstrom said. “We have a lot of very difficult questions to ask in the days and weeks ahead, and we are committed to asking those questions to make sure justice is served.”

Lindstrom spoke with the Pioneer Press by phone on Tuesday afternoon. The following interview has been edited for length and clarity.

When did you first learn of the Philando Castile shooting?

I heard about it at roughly 10 o’clock that evening, when I received a call from our city administrator, who simply told me there was an officer-involved shooting and told me the location. That was all he knew at the time.

I was in bed, but I biked to the scene, which is not too far from my home. … I had a chance to talk to the police chief twice, very briefly, and started to learn a little more at that point. I learned much more the following day.

What was your reaction?

I was horrified, along with the rest of the nation. To see the video, it is grueling to watch. It’s raw.

At this time, are you or any other members of the Falcon Heights city government involved in the investigation of the shooting?

Not at all. What I know is what has been reported in the public.

What have you heard from your constituents about the shooting?

They are incredibly sad; some are very angry. … I think a lot of them are in the anger stage of grief, and are not at the healing stage at this point. They are just very sad to see this happen in the city we love.

Have any Falcon Heights residents expressed concerns about their experiences with the St. Anthony Police Department?

I’ve talked to a lot of people over the past few days, and yes, people have shared with me their stories and it’s heartbreaking to hear them. … But it’s my responsibility to hear from everybody — the good and the bad.

I talked to a woman just last night — an 81-year-old African American woman — who told me that she fears for the safety of her sons, who often come to visit and help take care of her.

Did she specifically say it was the St. Anthony police that made her afraid for her sons?

Yes she did.

Would you call that example unusual or fairly common?

I would say those types of stories have been unusual for me to hear in my time as an elected official. That doesn’t mean that it’s not happening.

Are you hearing more of them now in the wake of the Castile shooting?

Most definitely.

How long has the St. Anthony Police Department provided policing services to Falcon Heights?

It has been St. Anthony since the mid-1990s. … For a while (before that) it was Ramsey County and for a while it was the city of Roseville.

What is the term of the city’s contract with the St. Anthony Police Department?

It’s a five-year contract, and we are in year two.

How much does Falcon Heights pay St. Anthony for policing services?

Roughly $600,000 a year.

Will you seek to terminate that contract, as has been suggested by Black Lives Matter?

I would say it’s too early to make a decision on that, and of course it’s not up to me. The entire (Falcon Heights city) council would have to make that decision. But I would say we’re not taking anything off the table. We should let the facts come out on this specific incident.

Would you yourself be open to re-examining that contract?

Yes. Everything is on the table.

What kind of oversight does Falcon Heights have with respect to the law enforcement work done by St. Anthony police officers within your city?

It is a contract, so they are not employees of the city of Falcon Heights, and we don’t have any supervisory oversight of the police officers.

So if there was a complaint about a specific officer, you wouldn’t have any power to prevent that officer from working in Falcon Heights?

That’s correct. That would go to the city of St. Anthony.

Does this incident give you pause about contracting with other municipalities for policing services? Does it make you think Falcon Heights should have its own police force?

I would say no. We have a long history of shared services. We’re a very small city, so it makes sense for us to partner with other local governments. … For example, Ramsey County provides our snowplowing services. Up and down the line, we have a lot of shared services and that philosophy has worked well for us.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Well I stand corrected

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. beccaomecca

beccaomecca Well-Known Member

That's so devastating.

4. beccaomecca

you know the world is a fucked up place when you cant even call the very people who are supposed to 'protect' us. Take a life get temporarily suspended with pay, lets reward you for taking away an innocent life of someone just trying to help. Its clear any psychopath can be a cop. And they dont give a fuck enough to really do something about it this on going issue. Its out of control.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Well you know some people want them to stop saying "black lives matter" and to say "all lives matter" so.......what else could she be saying?

6. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Agreed! I'm all for law and order, but I say as most. When cops break laws... All I ask is that they be held accountable like anyone else.

Sadly... It often seems like some police officers are looking for a reason to use force instead of it being an absolute last resort

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

They could show some solidarity with this family and the thousands who loved her. Whites marched for Trayvon and for BLM, this is not about 'all lives matter', and you damn well know it.
    This woman was gunned down not much different than Castille was - she didn't even have anything but her pj's and phone, but STILL no offer of condolence, support, statement..nothing. This is where TRUE COLORS shine.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Is this the first you're hearing about this? My friends and family told me it's been all over Oz.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Partner of cop who fatally shot bride-to-be 'was STUNNED when his colleague opened fire from inside their squad car' as autopsy reveals she was killed by one bullet to the stomach after she called 911

• His partner Matthew Harrity was 'left stunned' by the shooting, sources say
    • Damond had called 911 to report a sexual assault occurring in a nearby alley
    • Harrity was speaking to Damond when Noor opened fire through the patrol car's driver side door, fatally wounding her in the abdomen
    • Chilling audio of the officers' call to dispatch, records one of them saying there was a 'female screaming behind the building' after 'shots fired and one down'
    • Noor, 31, has offered his condolences but demanded people respect his privacy

10. DudeNY12

Thanks for posting the update. I'm curious as to why Noor had drawn his gun.

11. beccaomecca

My mum told me but i didnt know of the full story until now. I tend not to watch the news because its never anything uplifting its always so depressing. Depressing to think this is the world we are raising kids in.

12. beccaomecca

Totally agree with you Dude! Not trying to make a joke out of a bad situation, but that last line.... you got bars!!

13. The Dark King

What do you want them to march about? I promise you the black Muslim guy is going to jail he will be held accountable that's their entire agenda.
    White people do not need condolences for crimes like these because no one is going to walk. I also guarantee if they were offered by BLM someone would complain they were doing it for publicity.

14. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Thousands?

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Where did l say BLM should march?
    Because l showed you how Whites marched with BLM?
    No boo, no one is marching for this woman. They just want answers and to know what happened.

I'm getting sick and tired of you always using that lame excuse of "Well, they're going to go to jail, it's a non-story, move on, nothing to see here" - you always rudely dismiss crimes and murders against WP because you insist their killers will go to jail.
    So that means using your logic, any cop or individual that's found accountable for a crime against a black person will no longer be discussed here, am I correct?

Well you know good and well that' s not been the case here, so please spare me the "Whites get Justice, we don't" dismiss - it still doesn't make up for the loss of life and the pain involved, do you understand that?

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yes. She had a large following as a spiritual teacher and a YouTube Channel.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I dont know which lends to my initial instinct that he mishandled it.
    As l said earlier no way in hell is he shooting past his partner's head.

Its negligent homicide - he didn't mean to shoot her, he royally fucked up. His gun was likely on his lap, ldk because the Blue Wall is up. No one is really talking.

18. The Dark King

Yes that exactly because at least the issue will be resolved and you know what? If they are held accountable like magic it will decrease dramatically.
    Just by the reporting of this you can see this will be handled differently. No one is looking into her past no one is testing her for drugs trying to find a way to make this her fault.
    And for someone who claims to love black men you would clearly see that yes white people do get justice and we more often than not don't.
    I feel sorry for her family. Feel better now?

19. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

And there does appear to be some BLM support calling for justice for this women, so there is some solidarity right there. Some of them just speaking on justice for her while others are discussing if the system will be consistent with how they handle this case.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  20. DudeNY12

Yes. I'm no attorney, but it sounds like it would at least be crminally negligent. It does sound like he either drew his weapon or had it on his lap which would've also endangered his partner. Sad situation, but it'll be even sadder if he walks. I simply can't imagine a reasonable explanation that permits him to walk. That said... if he does walk... I won't be too suprised