People Are Boycotting 'Black Panther' Because Michael B. Jordan is "Dating Outside His Race"

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by RicardoCooper, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Your misunderstanding my point, I'm not criticising the character. I'm talking about the business of superhero movies. Every comic book movie that succeeds or fails effects all other comic book movies. I'm simply saying that a movie starring a female hero without flashy or amazing powers will be a tougher sell to the non-fanboy audience, especially after all of the amazing films like Civil War, Black Panther, and Infinity War. And if it underperforms it could have a negative impact on future films.
  2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

It will fail because its a Marvel/Disney movie and it won't be able to show all gore and killing that something like the born identity did. Good luck but we know it will some how be the fault of men that they couldn't deliver something entertaining for everyone
  3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I see your concern, but I don't think it will be bad for the MCU unless they do the story poorly but we will see. I'm buying tickets for sure.
    Interesting point about the lack of gore but winter soldier didn't have it either.
  4. The Dark King

It's Captain America it's not expected but a straight up spy movie demands it. It doesn't mix with the established hero world of not killing
  5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Its still a marvel movie lol. I just hope the storyline is on point.
  6. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Ugh the last thing I want to see is a Marvel feminist team up flick, sorry. In years past I would've been open to it but now it's being shoved down my throat. Ghostbusters anyone? No thanks
  7. RicardoCooper

In the comics, yes but in the MCU, the Avengers kill. In the intro to Civil War, Widow and Falcon alone took out several hostiles with lethal force, not to mention Cap's shield damn near beheading motherfuckers. Iron Man took out a whole Afghan nest of terrorists in his first movie. I think that's part of the Sokovia Accords, the Avengers took people out at will without government sanction (except Cap's missions for SHIELD)

A Black Widow spy movie would not contradict the MCU at all
  8. bilbo

bilbo Active Member

Your argument is bullshit and fuck fanboys.

Do you think the success of any Marvel fan is largely dependent on fanboys or people who aren't fanboys?

Seriously ponder that question.
  9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I don't know what you're talking about, but you sure seemed worked up about it.

Here is a kitten to help you relax

I hope you feel better
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

A Black Widow movie will work. It will have a smaller budget. But, Black Widow already has a built in fan base because of all the MCU films she's been in. People have been asking for it for a long time.

They'll get a competant female director and a female writer. They may cameo RDJ in there just to fill a few extra seats (ala Spiderman: Homecoming). Disney will sprinkle it's PR fairy dust on it and will be Scarjo's highest opening film and possibly her biggest solo flick to date.

I'm guessing it will be a hit in the same way Captain America:The First Avenger and Thor were hits. Not huge. But, big enough to justify making them.

The real problem is Scarlett, herself. Has she ever had a hit film were she was the main character? Was Lucy a hit? Or, did it flatline here but do well overseas?

Remember, were talking about Marvel. The same movie studio that turned Iron Man, one of their C level characters (at least to the general public), staring a former junkie, has been actor, into one of thee most bankable superhero characterrs of all time.

The Black Widow movie will do just fine.
  11. RicardoCooper

Lucy was an out and out hit worldwide. Ghost in the Shell tanked in SJW Murca (whitewashing scandal) but did well in Asia who apparently had no problem with a Caucasian woman playing an Asian character. Too lazy to find the links, but check Box Office Mojo if you don't believe me

If Marvel could make a hit out of Ant-Man, they can make a hit out of Widow, who as you pointed out has a built in fan base. It needs to guest star Hawkeye and they can explain what exactly happened in Budapest
  12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Active Member

Anyone else as impressed as I am with Marvel's The Black Pantther on BET?? It extremely intelligent as far as the showrunners are concerned :) Your smart TV has the episodes via Youtube.
  13. RicardoCooper

YES to "fanboys." People like us who know the lore are the first to either give superhero movies good or bad word of mouth/FB/Twitter etc. The everyday civilians for whom these are just movies follow our opinions. Why do you think studios show their trailers FIRST at Comicon and Wizard World????
  14. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I watched it years ago. I can't believe BET waited weeks after the movie came out & was successful to upload the episodes to their YouTube channel. With as much hype as BP has gotten since the first trailer dropped last summer, BET should've uploaded the episodes months ago. That BP BET animated series is a good intro for folks who didn't know anything or very little about BP.
  15. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Active Member

^^I really love it and fans of the billion dollar blockbuster will surely love it too. Marvel 's Stan Lee even had his trademark cameo in the pilot as that old-school 4 star General Ross lol. His influence is obvious in the mature content of the series especially how credible and compelling the writing is . . . Marvel made this motherfucker for a more mature & mundane audience than Walt Disney wanted so I am quite impressed as a history B.A. with a minor in international studies that BET asked Marvel to go so hard!~ This stuff is not for kids, it's for us lol.
  16. Skaddix

Skaddix Active Member

Not really a surprise if your an Asian and you live in Asia you don't rely on Hollywood to see yourself in movies...if your Asian in America or the West though well your fucked got to get on the internet cause Hollywood aint putting you in many movies.

Black Panther is good if for nothing else it gave people roles and proved it could be done...I shudder to think about the damage done if it had only made Ant-man money.
  17. RicardoCooper

Black people always a day late and a dollar short
  18. The Dark King

Except for Black Panther....
  19. RicardoCooper

It takes a fictional black man not to be a day late and a dollar short, that's just plain sad lol