Olympic events

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lottie, Jul 29, 2012.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Negative

2. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

You got a point with the women but i dont mean to downplay the women but we all know the Men's 100m is the blue ribbon event and the Men's 200m is second to it. The winners of these 2 events hog the headlines and make more money. Jamaica have this in the bag and wont be relinquishing it any time soon. Unlike the past when Jamaicans like Donovan Bailey and Linford Christie opted to run for other countries, there is now a renewed sense of pride in the Green and Yellow and Black because of what Asafa Powell started and Bolt is continuing. Sprinting is gonna become ultra competive and the US might have to poach the ones who fail to make the grade and hope they can help them in the next Olympics because there is no end in sight for Jamaican dominance in 100 and 200m men's race.

3. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

Really? Gabby Douglas and Serena Williams hating by black folk? Hellooo. And even that is black american and we talking bout " black folk who come from a tiny island who only smoke pot and play reggae music". That is how some brothers described Jamaicans in my interaction with them.

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I am happy for every winner regardless of race. That being said, I have certain countries whose culture, food or music has marked me profoundly in my life. The islands of the Caribbean are among those countries that have had such an effect on me, along with certain others around the world. As a result, I would never, ever, hate on or disparage a Jamaican for winning a medal, whether or not it was at the expense of the US. In fact, in some sports, I actively support other countries and not the US. I have a fondness for underdogs and small nations that struggle against the great powers. So, despite being US-born, I'm not jingoistic with my support.

5. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

And that would certainly constitute a population of ignorant ass folks.

The mentally deficient one's who see things in the moment and live for instant gratification and never see the bigger picture about laying the foundations for what lies ahead.

Jamaica has come to realize it has a talent pool to draw on and has committed itself to long term success, Usain Bolt is just the tip of the iceberg.

Plenty of youths will want to follow his example on that island now and throughout the Caribbean for that matter.

I'm just happy to see a positive story and not have to just hear about stories about gang violence in places like St. Catherine, St. Andrews, Tivoli Gardens, that is always fucking up the place for ordinary citizens who just want to live their lives.

Matter of fact JA crime is falling since the police and citizens are tired and are working their hardest to dismantle the gangs that plague the streets.

6. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

Orejon you are in the top 2% when we talk about superintelligent black men and i have an inkling you know about world issues so you definitely are not one of the people who would make asinine statements like that. GQ you came to America from Guyana and therefore you spoke with an accent initially so i am sure you get what i'm saying.

7. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

LOL, do I ever. I was teased initially about my accent on a few occassions, nothing over the top, but it came with the territory of being new in America and in that school environment among young kids.

i always treated those things as water off a duck's back. I'm the kind of person raised with such discipline and emphasis on what the important values are, that it instilled a lot of confidence in me, that shapes me to this day.

What I sat back and watched was more shocking to me. The utter lack of respect some of the kids had, constantly fighting each other and teachers, seeming to be more concerned about what they were wearing as opposed to excelling in the educational arena.

In Guyana, a developing world nation, students were embarrassed to not excel in your studies. You wanted to get good grades to do well to get into the best schools and would feel shame to not do well.

I observed that stark difference in the educational approach and incentive in the inner city school I went to when I came here.

Some teachers tried but the students just seemed to not place a lot of value on scholastic merit. It was appalling to watch. Its like they were going through the motions.

Even at my age then I thought it was pretty fucked up to watch how these young kids didn't seem to have any application of effort in their education. Something was dead wrong about that mentality.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  8. orejon4

I long for the day when all parts of the African Diaspora can thrive and make full use of the talents, natural resources and strategic positions they occupy for the benefit of their people and the larger world. And I also share these hopes for the entire planet. Ignorance has held sway long enough.

9. z

z Well-Known Member

I long for the day, a sexy down to earth California bred Athletically dominant articulate Christain girl like Allyson Felix to bear the fruit of my loins, lol

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  10. Steven

Steven New Member

I hate when every other nigga from around the world. Hate on black Americans as if we cornered the market on ignorance. When Allyson Felix won the 200m there was tons of Jamaicans. On social networks accusing Felix of using steroids. So let's not pretend that only black Americans is capable of hating.

11. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Word? Can you site a point of reference.

12. orejon4

And when they do that, we should call them on that as well. Ignorance should get called on the carpet wherever it pops up.

13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

basically

don't fall for the okie doke

14. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

Exactly, ignorance is ignorance no matter the originating party of it.

15. Steven

Steven New Member

Agreed.

16. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

Mostly they just portray him as cocky but this is impressive how respectful he is to stop and give another athlete/another countries anthem respect.

[YOUTUBE]QyQ-ckmKrXQ[/YOUTUBE]

17. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

The Rio Olympics kicks off tomorrow with Women's soccer