Old pics to jpeg format

Discussion in 'PC Performance, Security, and Tips' started by BlondieLuvsBLK, Aug 3, 2010.

1. BlondieLuvsBLK

BlondieLuvsBLK New Member

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. I have a bunch of old pics stored on a old computer from my junior high days with lots of great pics of friends and stuff, but I was on AOL back then and its all in .ART format. Can someone tell me how to change them to jpeg. I have tried changing the file extension,(i.e. changing file dog.art to dog.jpg ) but it doesnt work.
    I know somebody on here can help!

m.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Download aol again and see if you can get to the main screen. You don't need an account supposedly and do not need to log in. Look for file/open on the main. You should be able to choose to save those files under different formats that way also.

I could have told u to google the solution, but I like helping jawns in distress :)

this was from 2003 and I don't know if aol even exists anymore. The functioning behind this, is that if you can open the photo, you can 'save as' also, which would give you those added format options.

As payment for my help, I'll accept post junior high art files

;)

3. Persephone

Persephone New Member

supposedly this freeware will allow you to convert the files.

http://www.irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm

I dunno for sure as I've never used it, but converting photo formats is generally as simple as opening them in a photo editing program and saving them in a different format. The problem arises when you use a program that doesn't recognize the format. I've never used .art so I'm not sure what software works with it, but according to google the above link should help you download a free program that can easily convert the files for you.

4. codecaine

codecaine New Member

Do you use Linux, Windows, Mac or some other system?

5. Ms. J

Ms. J Well-Known Member

if you are able to access the internet on your old computer, why not save the pics to photobucket - don't know if this will work for you...just my 2 cents

6. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

This thread is almost a year old folks. she probably found the answer.

7. BlondieLuvsBLK

BlondieLuvsBLK New Member

Thanks for the replies. These are old pics from emails and files i sent / save years ago when i was first with AOL. they save photos as ART. files. but I want to save them now as jpegs so I have them available to view. Lots of pics of old friends and fun times.
    m.

8. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

So, did you ever find the answer? If not, you can post the link to the page on AOL that has the pics and then I can just convert them for you and e-mail them to you. I use a Mac and that kind of stuff is as easy as point and click.