Mike Colter & His Wife Iva

Discussion in 'Celebrity WW/BM Couples' started by nobledruali, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

That reminds me, I was just listening to a "Champaign Sharks" podcast episode the other day that was about clowning the sterotypical Blerds (Black Nerds) on Twitter/Social media. There was a segment about the demasculation of Black Male characters in Comic Books/CB TV Shows/CB Films.

They brought up a troupe I don't think I've seen folks disscuss on this forum, Convientely marrying off Black Male characters, so they won't be a love interest for the main white female characters. Diggle on "Arrow" was the posterboy for that troupe.

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Black women are becoming powerful in black entertainment, I said this once they made Luke Cage show too urban that they will attract those bw against black men with white women. I didn't notice them during Jessica Jones show, I mostly seen people LOVING their relationship and rooting for them so their voices had to be getting drowned out which is what you have to do.

What did he mean by Luke and Jessica were the end game? Does that mean they are getting together on the season finale of their respective shows? Is this a way of avoiding the backlash from bw, by keeping out of a relationship until the series finale. How does that even work on two different shows. And for the showrunner on Luke Cage to say "whatever happens on "The Defenders" doesn't really matter to what will occur on his show." Is just absurd. My guess is he talking about what happened between Luke and Jessica in that bar where she mentioned maybe she'll stop by for some "coffee". Because folks took it as Jessica possibly appearing on Luke Cage. They are using Luke Cage to be the super hero to racial injustice and inequality and a black power-esque super hero and the unfortunate problem with that is these black women WILL NOT ACCEPT THEM IF THEY ARE WITH WHITE WOMEN.

because to some of these blackgirlmagic performing black women white women are their enemy, that is why they refer to them as becky in a derogatory sense.

3. ColiBreh1

Yes, go follow the Twitter account @BlackGirlNerds if you want to see female Blerds constantly retweeted into your timeline.

BTW, this recently happened to the chick that runs & owns the BGN website, podcast, & social media accounts:

https://twitter.com/BlackGirlNerds/status/907245776874569729
    [​IMG]
    https://blackgirlnerds.com/jamie-broadnax-syfy-advisory-board/

But even before this, they regularly had big name guests on their podcast. This ties into the point @darkcurry makes about Black women are becoming powerful in entertainment. I saw so many mainstream media folks (from IGN, EW, & etc.) retweet & favorite this tweet.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Where the fuck are black men. We've occupied this space far longer than they have. Seriously I'm floored by this because I spent the majority of my formative years clowned for this shit I never met any female nerds let alone black ones

5. ColiBreh1

The popular male blerd podcasters I used to listen to (& they're how I got introduced to BGN) are black liberal male feminists, cater to/worship BW, & 100% co-sign the "BM are the White People of Black People" narrative. So that tells you all you need to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. darkcurry

We are there, we just get ignored by mainstream, especially if they don't adhere to black women and white men's ideals.

http://worldofblackheroes.com/ is owned by a carribean black man. He don't have that many followers on twitter, but been around longer than @BlackGirlNerds

http://www.blerdsonline.com/ Has many black men writing for them and has over 10k followers on twitter.

I like this piece one of the brothas did explaining Val-Zod's history: http://www.blerdsonline.com/2017/02/black-superhero-val-zod.html

They are there, just pushed to the back once black women got involved.

7. The Dark King

Fucking sickening. Why do we have to sacrifice our dignity and self worth to make them feel comfortable smh. More and more I find myself wanting to be as far as black women as possible and not because they're all like this but they in some how some way support this bullshit.
    I hope they enjoy their white men because clearly their hatred of us runs too damn deep. I feel for their sons.

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Like the main chorus from the Ricky Nelson song Garden Party goes:

Well, it's all right now.
    I 've learned my lesson well.
    You see you can't please everyone.
    So, you've got to please yourself.

I don't think I like the word "blerd ". It's doesn't sound right in my opinion. I have been into comic books, sci-fi, anime and etc for years and I will not stop because others do not share my passions. I move forward with the understanding that there are others like me in this world and I am not alone. Very few black women are into anime. The Netflix adaptation of Voltron has a black actress who does the voice of Princess Allura.

I am open-minded enough to explore other things outside my comfort zone. Who knows? I might like it if I stop, look and listen.

Listen to Barry Manilow's song I've Made It Through The Rain. I think it very much applies to folks like us.

9. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I collected comics big time a s a kid until like my first year in college. Used to go to the conventions (when they were only about the comic books), I visited my fave comic book store on a weekly basis and then I started at that very store as my first job. This was in the DC region of the country, pretty diverse. I saw all sorts of people at these places Women were a CLEAR minority at any of those locations. Not absent mind you. And some were even hardcore fans. But at the most they made up less than 10% of the people hanging around and half of those were the girlfriends/wives who were accompanying their significant others. And those women were almost exclusively white, with some black and Asian girls thrown in here and there. Did my experience represent a perfect representation of who were comic book fans? Most likely not. And, hey, I had two sisters and a black female friend of the family who were into comic books so I know there were black girls who were into the stuff. But the way women in general talk on social media these days you would think women made up half of the buyers. Now granted I haven't really been into the industry all that much and I'm certain the number of female enthusiasts have grown. Used to hear that they were the primary buyers of anime comics in America and they probably do make up a large chunk of the less mainstream/non-superhero comics. However I'm certain women remain in the clear minority so far as being comic book buyers.

This is why even as a black man and a certified left-leaning Democrat I am fatigued with the nonsense about diversity and representation that i come across on left-leaning blogs, websites, twitter accounts. People practically screaming for race-bending casting in films and TV shows, willing to trow out decades of established character specifications in order to feel wanted. The vast majority of these folks never touched a comic book in their fucking lives but act as if they are fatigued over all the years of waiting for more inclusiveness among comic book characters. As a result as soon as a character undergoes an ethnic, racial or gender change in the comic book which they hear about, they pounce on that as if that should be the rule of law for TV or movie versions of that character. So, say, if there is talk about Catwoman making an appearance in an upcoming movie these folks demand that a Hispanic actress be chosen for the part because the latest version of Catwoman in DC comics s of Cuban ancestry. Fuck that. She has been Cuban for all of five minutes so if they cast a white actress I would be more than fine with it. But the advocates of diversity would strongly disagree. On the other hand Iris West has remained white in every reboot of The Flash but the diversity advocates (in this case black women and their black male dupes) insist that a back actress must forever play Iris West because one played her on the Flash TV show. When news of development of Flash movie became widespread these folks came up with a hashtag #KeepIrisBlack which went viral. That was so stupids considering Iris has always been white so in theory one could have easily countered with #MakeIrisWhiteAgain or #KeepIrisWhite. But of course there is rarely any pushback. It didn't really matter at first because the hired directors for the Flash had a white actress in mind. But they left the film to make the Han Solo film (and got fired from that). Warner Bros hired the black director for "Dope" as a replacement and I knew what was coming. He hired a black actress from "Dope" for the role of Iris, he actually was favoring her from the very beginning. Creative differences with the studio led to him leaving Flash as well, but his choice of Iris remains.

I won't sugarcoat it. The comic book industry is steeped in tradition and racism. It is also a dying with its main hope of relevance coming from screen adaptations of its properties. To better fit an increasingly diverse body of potential new consumers it needed to diversify its material by bringing in more female writers, more people of color and by creating more diverse characters (and I DON'T mean making black or Latino or female versions of already established white male characters). Instead the comic book industry has mostly kept a status quo by only giving buyers a half-hearted attempt at diversity. Meanwhile the film versions create diversity by race-bending in its casting, giving the impression to non-comic book consumers that the overall collective of comic book characters are much more racially varied than it actually is.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  10. JamalSpunky

I have to check out this podcast. Thanks for the tip.

The practice of marrying off black men to take them out of the equation of hookups has been a long tradition. I hate to look like I'm patting myself on the back but is been something I picked up on even in my early teens. One can go back and look at the old show "In the Heat of Night" and wonder why Virgil Tibbs, the black male lead, is married on the show when in the movie the series was based upon Tibbs was a single man. I tended to dismiss the idea f watching shows in which the white male is single and the black male is married. First of all it is made worse typically by the black guy already being married for years at the start of the series. So that pretty much translates into a non-sex life on screen. Second of all this society has a stereotypical view of black men that is far away from the stable, marrying type. Just the opposite in fact. But for TV suddenly black men became the standard family men. Get out of here with that bullshit. I'l give props to any black male viewers who pick up on this hypocrisy so kudos to Champaign Sharks. And the fact they even touched upon the whole notion of keeping black men from white women on screen demonstrates that they aren't beholden to the current day black mindset because most black viewers wouldn't ever talk about that because they would not see it as a problem.

That said I don't have an issue with Diggle getting married on Arrow. I haven't watched much of the show but from what I do know the character ans the woman he ended up marrying had to build a relationship; it wasn't established ahead of time. So some romancing went on which is key to me. Plus it is nice to have him as a contrast to his more playboy-like partner. Besides if he had remained single you don't think TPTB would have invested in his love life do you? And isn't his wife white on the show? If so that's a win I will take. Beggars can't be choosers.

11. JamalSpunky

He made those remarks a couple of years ago and he didn't use those exact words. When introducing Colter on stage as Luke one remark he made was something along the line that he's the man who will one day be Jessica's husband. In other words he was claiming that the plan was for their relationship to align along the same trajectory of the comic books. You can find the clip somewhere on YouTube. Look for New York Comic Con of 2015 with the introduction of the cast of Jessica Jones. Then wait to when Colter takes the stage.

12. JamalSpunky

1-SyFy Channel doesn't need such advisory. Since the days of BSG that channel has created countless shows in which black women are members of the main cast. Its black guys who are a more of a rarity. Most of the shows featuring black men were not produced by SyFy but instead were Canadian TV science fiction shows which SyFy acquired to fill its timeslots.

2-BlackGirlNerds get far more access than justified by their still relatively tiny base of fans. But to be fair if you have a podcast or do blogs you will increasingly get opportunities to get the ear of showrunners and be invited on set or invited to interviews, regardless of the size of your audience.

3-I have disagreed with BlackGirlNerds in the past and have gotten into some online disagreements with them. Nonetheless I don't think they are disgustingly extremist as some of the black bloggers are. My main gripe with them is that their writing tends to be simplistic and third rate.

13. JamalSpunky

We can ask this question about black men on so many fronts. Sad actually.

14. ColiBreh1

I forgot to mention. You should suspect everyone of these female Blerds of being wannabe swirlers and/or Undercover swirlers. They now have a rep of taking advantage of dressing up in cosplay at comic conventions & to swirl on the low.

Do you remember that big black Twitter/podcast beef last year over the #DemThrones hastag?

15. The Dark King

And the worst part about it is so many of these advocates have awful taste. Even if it plain sucks they'll support it. Like Wonder Woman saw it again and it sucks, I mean pretty much anything non cartoon DC sucks, and they keep raving about how amazing this shit is. Its the main reason why I can't take any of them seriously. I already see how this is going to play out. Some will get the recognition they so desperately want and will get a white or any non black guy to date them but overall things will continue to bend towards many of them getting overlooked because they haven't figured out how to be cool as themselves. They spend countless hours trying to coop everything male and in particular black male. Misty Knight is a great example of that to me. They demand representation in spaces they never gave two shits about before it was popular and do everything humanly possible outside of murder to erase men and black men in particular. This whole thing will eventually crash and burn because the true consumers of this genre will give up on it if they are continuely forced to accept shit they don't like in the interest of keeping a vocal minority happy.
    To this day I honestly don't get why we have to race bend and gender bend. There are dozens of rich and fleshed story lines with all kinds of people. If you want to see a dope black woman comic advocate like crazy for a Storm movie.

16. The Dark King

On the low? Please they are vocal as fuck about their support of black women with every and anybody and their never ending policing of black men and our choices. It is the same old story black women only love black men when they don't feel like they have other choices otherwise the first chance they get they sprint for a white dude. And boy are they different, all that strong independent shit quickly gets tossed out for being submissive and manageable.

17. darkcurry

I haven't been paying that much attention to Flashpoint movie, I mostly been paying attention to Avengers 4, Jessica Jones, Inhumans, The Justice League, ect.
    So in the movie Iris is going to be black as well?

18. darkcurry

I hear what you guys are saying about the race-bending thing especially since there are black comic book characters they just simply aren't paying attention too.

Like I believe Val-Zod could be in the works right now.

Blue Marvel

The Green Lantern: John Stewart

The Patriot

Batwing

Deathlok

Steel: John Henry Irons

Vixen

Shuri: female black panther

Isaiah Bradley

Bilquis

Static

Spider-man: Miles Morales

and many more they could've introduced but for some reason didn't want to, just wanted to race bend.

But let's not forget that Cloak & Dagger is still coming this January to Freeform on TV.

19. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Right????? I'd go to comic cons and the only BW there were the moms dropping off their sons mine included. Or in later years BW there with their white boyfriends

20. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

LOL no question. They are not into cosplay, comics, manga, anime etc to attract black men that's for sure