Members who go negative in rep pts.

Discussion in 'General Site Information - Guidelines' started by webmaster, Oct 22, 2010.

1. webmaster

webmaster Administrator Staff Member

This is notice that any member whose reputation points go negative ([​IMG]) will have their account reviewed and may be restricted to the following categories until they go ([​IMG]):

NEWS and VIEWS

SITE NEWS and INFORMATION

RECYCLE BIN

All other categories will be read access only.

Reviews are typically triggered by reported posts.

If you find yourself in this position, select "Contact Us" on the bottom of the page for further information.

2. Luke Swaggwalker

Luke Swaggwalker Restricted

AAAHHHHH !

:butthead::smt088
    I was wondering why I couldn't post in certain sections of the board :(

3. webmaster

No one has been restricted at this time.

4. webmaster

Second notice. I want to allow some adequate time for folks to bring their reputation points up before this starts to kick in.

5. TheHuntress

TheHuntress Well-Known Member

This is a great idea, webmaster! :)

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

i thought you were leaving

:smt029

7. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

lol...wonder how long it will take for you to go into the red zone pecs...

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

im just sayin

women go all best supporting actress in a thread, leave for a few months, then come back like nothing happened

i dont get it

9. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

lol....turkey. sometimes a little break is needed away from the drama & the lip that you like to serve

10. TheHuntress

TheHuntress Well-Known Member

Let me spell it out for you...

A lot of people were acting like a bunch of jackasses in that thread. It got downright abusive and cruel- and it was hurtful. A lot of people in this world are the same online as they are in real life, and I am no different. If it hadn't been for the webmaster asking me not to leave for good, I would've never come back. I heard from a lot of people who don't come around anymore because they're sick of the bullshit in this place, too.

Frankly, considering what I've seen since I've been back...I don't blame them.

11. Ymra

Ymra New Member

This right here is a great way to ensure mass mentality, group speak, and out right "yall" and "us" behavior.

Some of the people come here are just some rude folk but others (like me) simply have unpopular opinions. There aren't THAT many people here, it should be easy to regulate bullshit without having to do the above...

...or so I believe anyway.

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

off with his head

13. Espy

Espy New Member

Unfortunately it's not. This is a very positive step IMO, and I am also very much in favor of free speech. However, I think it fair that anyone who goes negative in rep is restricted. Members are actually more hesitant to hand out negative rep around here than positive. You really have to get inappropriate to get neg rep from most of the regular members. I know that some leave anonymous negative rep just because they have an issue with someone personally, but that's really not a huge issue it seems. Additionally if people started using neg rep to try to get people restricted, it could be reported to Webmaster to review, and if he found it to be completely unwarranted, he could remove it.

All in all this is an excellent suggestion to allow the forum to somewhat self police itself. The fear of getting negative rep has never made me pause before speaking my mind, and I doubt it does anyone else. But if you just consistently say hateful, inappropriate and disrespectful things, you deserve negative rep for that and you also deserve the restriction. There are some members who may not have violated the site guidelines enough to be banned that certainly need some type of restriction, punishment, or what have you. This will address those people.

14. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I have to agree. And it would take a serious number of negative reps to get a red box next to your name.

I like the idea, too. I don't see it getting out of hand.

15. Espy

Espy New Member

Good point Bookie.

I've been hearing an awful lot of regular members lately questioning why some really hateful posters are allowed to go unchecked for so long. This will address that. I think Webmaster is simply considering what will be best for the forum as a whole.

16. Ymra

Ymra New Member

I havn't figured when I can give a rep, positive or otherwise...sometimes I can, sometimes I can't..........

...so I just don't give any at all.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  17. webmaster

It's not something that will be automatic nor will it affect everyone who goes negative. It certainly won't affect individuals who have unpopular opinions but stay within the site's guidelines.

It simply means that anyone who goes negative will have their account reviewed and may be restricted.

Typically, members who are affected by this will have reported posts and complaints against them and it will be fairly obvious. The emphasis will be on cyberbullies with long track records.

This site is primarily self-moderated and for adults. There are no babysitters.

As usual, if anyone feels they've been treated unfairly, they're more than welcome to defend themselves publicly or privately; as I will be more than ready and able to post the reason(s) why.

Eventually, on the other extreme, members who have attained a certain status (yet to be determined) will have access to more services, like the ability to send private messages.

18. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

how do you get negative rep anyway and is it done by a consortium of moderators or anyone who just doesnt like your name face or post gives you a negative rep?
    i am confused

19. Espy

Espy New Member

Anyone who is a member can leave you negative or positive rep comments on any of your posts. It's not something the moderators or webmaster control or review. They can do that for whatever reason they like, so yes, sometime people leave anonymous negative rep for no good reason.

20. robina

robina New Member

if someone has an issue with what you have posted they can click on the scales thing on your post and leave you negative rep

dont worry weve had a lot of trolls recently so some people can be a little trigger happy with the negative rep.

just keep posting and people will get a better feel for what your really about