Loving where you work vs Loving where you live

Discussion in 'The Attraction Between White Women and Black Men' started by Mrmike757, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Mrmike757

Mrmike757 Well-Known Member

In an ideal world a person would have both, some may already have this salute! However in reality, a lot of us have one or neither.

For me I'm cool with my job, there's a lot of things I would change maybe even co-workers. But what keeps me in there is I love where I live. Maybe in the future I will leave here for a better career option.

But for now I absolutely love living here in sunny San Diego. The wonderful things to do, beautiful scenery, great people, gorgeous women and lastly the damn near perfect weather. It's expensive as hell here, but for now I just enjoy my time.

The go to ticket for many black Americans is to move somewhere in the southeast where most black folk reside nothing is wrong with that. Places like Charlotte, Houston, or Atlanta where we can get a mega big home, meet a fine southern sista, and have kids. The career and environment is catered to black Americans so I get this preached to me a lot.

I enjoy being different away from the norm tho. Had to get used to the low percentage of black folk here, but now I love it! I was so used to being around us and how we do things that I accepted it as the end all be all. Things changed once I got a job that moved me here.

My attraction to women changed, I'm always in a good mood cuz of the nice weather, and I'm more active. I also take better care of my health.

So what's your viewpoint? Or maybe you're perfectly fine and never thought about this. Which would you choose and why? There are sacrifices and I've lived in other places where I could not bear, but I maintained.

2. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Atlanta is landlocked, so that doesn't sound too fun for me who grew up by the sea. San Diego on the other hand got a port and posibilities for sailing. One of my passions in life.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

When I have to decide, where I live comes first. I remember a phone interview with a reputable company that was going great until she told me where the job was

Freeeggiiin Baltimore!

Umm

Thanks but No

You have a nice day!:)

Honestly I'm at the point where I won't take a job outside of Florida, Texas or Cali, unless its in Europe.

I may just completely head out on my own soon anyway.

Entrepreneur has a nice ring to it.:)

4. Mrmike757

Yea I understand Bmore is rough, my grandma lives there lol. I lived in Nashville for 4 years and although some aspects were cool, it did feel the city was segregated. The white chicks there were aggressive but I found the city to be boring.

I worked most of the time to get me through, and traveled the rest.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol not but so much to do on Broadway. Country music and white women. Not a bad deal at all, but I require more at this point.

6. Mrmike757

Yea I still go back, I do miss that about it.

7. Mrmike757

You still live in Atlanta? How do you like it? Where did you grow up?

8. Reverie

Never lived in Atlanta.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. K

K Well-Known Member

It all goes together for me. Right now it's a lot to do with family though. I would be in San Diego myself otherwise...well that and costs. So I stick to Northern California and go visit.

I've considered Oregon and Washington too. I love water, beautiful areas, and it cooler than here. I can do without extreme heat or cold.

10. missshyness

missshyness Active Member

I will do a public service announcement and warning to all those thinking about or even entertaining the thought of coming or moving to San Diego, do not come to San Diego unless your pockets are VERY DEEP, the costs of living can be crippling, and unless one is established; has a trust fund, or knows they can get a not just a job, but a WELL PAYING job, it is next to impossible to get started here, the costs of living are that high. Just Google the homeless in San Diego, it has become a serious problem.

It can be a different ballgame out here, it is not always so simple as get a ***job, stop being a whiny person, it is hard here to get by.

Hope did not scare some away, but visiting can still be fun, but living can be not so fun, unless you are rich to begin with, or if you don't mind always having to have roommates and living with 3 or more people to one bedroom, or cramped in a tiny place possibly in a bad neighborhood.

And yes, southern Cali is known for it's weather, but it it might not be for everyone, or those who are used to cooler weather, it can get hot and humid, and can be uncomfortable if you live in an older home with no air conditioning, although getting some good fans and having them on practically 24/7 and all windows open can help.

Just make sure you don't live in a bad neighborhood, with break ins, because then you have to keep your windows closed even in the hot summers.

11. Reverie

I thought San Diego was a sleepy military city, I guess those days are over.

12. missshyness

missshyness Active Member

It still is primarily a military city, yes those days are definitely long gone, but there is also a transient population, homeless and people coming and going from different states, I would not describe it as a sleepy city, (try driving around Pacific Beach, there is a noisy bar on every corner, and if you ride a bike around there, you might be taking your life in your hands, lots of drunk drivers) it has grown a lot, not enough space and places to live literally for everybody.

13. Reverie

Too bad.
    California is not a temptation for me. I need to see the seasons change. I need my fall and my winter.

14. K

K Well-Known Member

California is a large state with very different climates in different areas. Some areas definitely get the full 4 seasons. We have some of the best snow skiing. Unfortunately, it is expensive even in the cheapest of areas though. Taxes are higher and fees for everything seems to be much higher.

15. Mrmike757

You live in SD? You're right, my job brought me here and yes it's expensive as hell out here. I do see a lot of homeless here, which is sad.

16. Mrmike757

Yea I had to get used to that. I lived in Virginia and Tennessee before coming here. I miss the autumn season like crazy back home. But I do enjoy the lifestyle here.

17. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Love where I work, but enjoy where I live. I'd totally love to do the SoCal thing. I don't want any part of the southeast except maybe Atlanta. Other than that I'd stay in the northeast. Toronto sounds really good too. I'd even be willing to deal with the harsh winters.

18. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

I am moving from Southern Germany to Switzerland some time in a few months. Hope the kids settle in well, learn the dialect quickly and are not treated funny by other kids for their caramel colour;-). Also hope my husband will be well received as a black doctor in a small Swiss mountain town. Other than that am really looking forward to it. The kids will be able to roam about freely, we'll enjoy the beautiful scenery and nature and hopefully enjoy quality Swiss standard of living;-)
    As a Southern German I'd rather live in Austria or Switzerland than anywhere else in Germany. Have lived in the West before when my husband was doing residency but was quite pleased to move back South.

19. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

That is fabulous and a great reason to move to a new place.