Living in Stuttgart, Germany: My experiences (Pt. 1)

Discussion in 'The International Perspective' started by marcolorenzo, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I know. I wished I have the money to visit Europe again plus, I used up my vacation period.

2. Damayor

Damayor Member

could be misunderstanding and misconception. Wonder how two groups who look similar could just despise each other.

3. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

Getting along goes much deeper than looking similar. You can look similar and have cultural differences.

It would be as naive as saying all blondes get along. Or all Swedes love each other.

There are many reasons for disagreement.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  4. Damayor

Damayor Member

True in some sense, but when you are in foreign and unfamiliar territory you tend to be drawn to those that are similar to you. For some it could be race, religion, nationality etc. While some of the people who on face value seem similar to you may be completely different and in due time you will be looking to getting rid of them.

If for example JordanC were to go to kenya for a job assignment in a American company which is mostly ran by the locals. The company has about other 100 white people out of maybe 5000 employees. The likely hood of you becoming initially friends with the other white people is higher than with another group of people. Of course in time your best friends may end being locals but this will be based more on personality. I think generally humans want to belong, and in this scenario the easiest way to belong is along the line of race.

The OP stated that he at least expected to get a positive reception from the African, but they dissed him. So according to him the reception he got was not based on personality but other unknown reasons.

5. dj4monie

dj4monie New Member

Man, I concur with everything you have said and mirrors my experience and others in Germany. Paradise it is not, but its cool.

The weather does suck, about 4-5 months out of the year right at the end of spring, the entire summer and a bit of the fall you get mostly decent/sunny weather. Otherwise if its not snowing or raining its for sure COLD!

Not on this forum but on another one, if you find a hot looking girl in Germany and she's interested in American Black Men, 9 times out of 10 she's not German... More than likely Polish, Turkish, Russian, hell even Brazilian. This tends to happen more in places like Berlin however.

As I said, I couldn't agree more with your impressions of Germany. Congrats on your pending nuptials and your daughter.

6. dj4monie

dj4monie New Member

Generally Africans think we're uncivilized. I know my boy Sam has experienced this up in the D.C area. Me, not so much I appear friendly/nonthreatening I guess.

One said I was too concerned about racism while I was in Sweden and said things were different. They aren't all that different... Its not the same as the US because its for different reasons, usually lack of experience combined with stereotypes.

In America its multi-layered if nothing else but lately based on some text I have read its largely revolves around fear of a Black Dick and taking their (White) women...

7. Machiavel

Machiavel Active Member

And some Africans from the Ivory-Coast think that Africans from Burkina Faso and Mali are uncivilized. Most people in Congo-Kinshasa think that people from Rwanda are uncivilized etc.

I always try to advise most African Americans not to take those things seriously or personally. Many Europeans and Asians have the same superiority complex about other European or Asian countries too.

There's a book by the college professor Godfrey Mwakikagile that is specifically about relations between Africans(continental) and African Americans.

Relations Between Africans and African Americans: Misconceptions, Myths and Realities

http://www.amazon.com/Relations-Between-Africans-African-Americans/dp/0980253454

For some reason, I've never been interested to visit Germany and test the "IR Market". But maybe I should try it someday. I've met many girls from Germany in Los Angeles, and they were very nice. At work, one my supervisor for the International department was from Austria. She was very pretty and she almost always mentionned the fact that her boyfriend was African American, that when she studied in London, she hanged out with Nigerian etc, always talking about Tyson Beckford and the likes.

It was as if she really wanted me to know she was really into brothers. She told me one time about not being attracted to White men because she didn't like the way they smelled :confused:

On the other hand, there were 2 girls from Germany on the same department, one from Cologne and the other from Dortmund. And it was only after 2 years we worked together that I had found out that they both had black boyfriends. One was actually engaged.

I was stunned because we talked about pretty much everything during our lunch breaks, "International tea time" etc. We talked about trips, dating and they often mentionned their boyfriends, but not once they mentionned or gave a hint that they were blacks.

So I've always wondered why the supervisor constantly mentionned it while the other two didn't. Different personality I guess...or one really loved brothers and the others simply found men they liked and to them, their races was immaterial.

As for racism is Sweden, maybe I didn't stay long enough to experience any, but generally speaking, the Swedes appear to be among the most civilized people in Europe in regards to race relations. They seem genuine, warm and very open minded. The girls are very pretty and IR is very common place there.

8. christine dubois

christine dubois Well-Known Member

Because it is very impolite or rassistic to mention it (in Germany).
    To mention the boy friend is black shows that he is different in your eyes and out of the reason that I don't mention, if someone is from an arabic country or Italy, but I feel the need to mention that he is black- is insulting. Or do I have to warn anybody so that this person isn't shocked to see a bm, when you meet?;)

9. Nebula J

Nebula J New Member

interesting thread

good read, thanks for sharing

10. Soulthinker

I had been to Germany many times and I always learn something.

11. Machiavel

Machiavel Active Member

I see. But how different is Autrian culture from German culture? There's just a slight difference in culture and mentality between France and South Belgium(Wallonie) where French is spoken. So I am wondering how it is for Austria and Germany that also have a commmon language. Usually, different language= different mentality, different sense of humor etc.

No, you don't have to warn so anybody so they wouldn't be shocked :) I wasn't shocked at all, just very surprised because with those two co-workers, there were a lot of interaction and we often talked about travelling, me going to Ukraine etc. So they knew I liked slavic women and were often asking me about my next trips, if met a girl.

So after finding out both of them were dating black men, I just thought it was a difference in mentalities and personalities between those 3 girls and that was why the other too never mentionned. I've never thought it was a matter of politeness, or nuances in speech that can be considered impolite or racist for Germans.
    Also, in my experience, most women who date or are married to black men, will always find either a sublte or direct way to let you know if you're black men. In fact, many wants you to know that they like black men.

I understand you live in Zurich, Switzerland, where German is also spoken. How is the mentality over there in regards to IR?

12. christine dubois

I don't think that there is a noteworthy difference in culture between Germany and Austria, except that Germans always try to be liberal and neutral, when it comes to racism or difference in cultures/mentalities in general. we are used to be called "Nazis" out of our past, no matter what we say or how we say it, so we mostly don't mention anything. I don't know Austrians, only the ones that live in Switzerland and here they are foreigners, like most of us and have to be quiet or at least subordinate.

You know, the "warning", was a joke...I just wanted to explain that there is no reason to mention the skin colour of a person, i.e. statistics of how many percentages of black or white people live in a town is prohibited. The term "bm" was new to me, when I came to the forum, I would have never used that term before.

I assume the third woman was just living longer in USA, that's the reason, why she told you.

Regarding Switzerland...out of my observation, if you have money you are very welcome, no matter of race of nation. And what is called black on the forum (light/medium) would never be called black here in Europe..many things are different. Lately I see a lot of bm and I assume that they are Americans, not Africans.

13. Machiavel

Machiavel Active Member

Language is usually considered the heart of a culture and it's hard to see a difference in culture between people who share a common language despite have two distinctives nationalities. And the difference is even harder to detect from non natives when these these countries share a similar language and a border as it's the case with Austria and Germany, Belgium and France etc. I guess there are many nuances that only people of those nationalities will be able to explain.

I am aware that your "warning" was a joke. Hence the smiley face at the end of my first sentence dealing with the paragraph. ;) I also heard on some TV shows that such statistics are prohibited by law in France. And in France, a person could actually stand trial if accused of racism or antisemtism. It happened to the famous French comedian Dieudonne, the TV announcer Fogiel, Zemmour etc. So in France, racism is an an indictable offense. Is it the same in Germany or Switzerland?

Actually, the third woman, the one from Austria was fairly new to the US. I think 2 or 3 years while the others were in America for years. Once was about to get her citizenship and the other had a green card. The Austrian girl was her on a special working visa. I don't remember how it's called. She had come from the UK and she was well-travelled. So I really don't know how to explain the different attitudes. But, I would just say it was their different personalities.

I am suspecting that the welcome of anyone with money in Switzerland no matter of race or nation has something to do with they famous banking system? :) Just kidding.

Yes. What is considered or called black varies from country to country. It's the same in Brazil and in many African countries. If you watch the movie Jungle Fever directed by Spike Lee, Wesley Snipe's wife goes crazy because not only her husband

14. Soulthinker

M,in my travels in Europe like Switzerland,Italy,Germany etc I have not encountered such women who in a suble way let a brother know if they are interested in a brother. You must have been engaging for them to meet you since some German women have negative feelings towards Africans. As for the banking system in Switzerland they now tell the Feds in the States on the holdings of Americans there.

15. christine dubois

Black money is indeed an issue here, lately. Maybe I wasn't clear, because we are joking many times about money, here. Switzerland is pretty welcome to people in general , but of course, like all countries they try to get good people, people with education and potential and money or business connection helps. But it is a big difference i.e.to get a visa for Germany or for Switzerland. Switzerland I've had never problems, immediatly my people from Africa received, German Embassies can be very complecated.
    So you need not to be wealthy or rich, just a normal educated person.

16. Soulthinker

Christine,you are one of the most kindest person that has ever lived in Switzerland. As a friend you are irreplaceable. It would be hard to find a woman like you for a relationship beyond a friendship in Switzerland.

17. dj4monie

dj4monie New Member

Austrian Difficulties

I have a friend on the ground in Austria and thus far dating has been difficult for him. He's been in Salzburg for over a year on IT apprenticeship. He is a dark skinned Black American and has found it specialty hard to find women to date.

He's actually had better luck with German women in Germany (via the internet).

I am assuming based on the wealth of information he's provided that he mistaken for being African... Telling isn't it?

I hardly would call Austria or Switzerland ideal locations. However having said that you will find a fan base anywhere in the world. Its just certain countries are target rich...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  18. Soulthinker

DJ4M,which website your friend goes to in Germany?

19. dj4monie

dj4monie New Member

He was using Afro Romance which is a US based web site. He could have been using others but we mainly spoke about that web site.

20. Soulthinker

I'm surprised myself. Pleased he had made progress.