It's the year 2K17, is IR dating between black men and white women even a big deal anymore?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by 4north1side2, Jan 3, 2017.

1. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

I would think this case is probably an exception.
    But I am happy for her.
    I see seperated women with mixed children staying with non white men.
    Sometimes the latter taking advantage of her situation.

2. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

Not really. It was a big deal up to the 50s/60s because of mass immigration from Jamaica & Africa.
    There were never really segregation or civil rights issues like in the US, but there was a lot of hate & non-acceptance.
    You only have to look up Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech from 1968. It cost him his career, but lots of white British at the time agreed with him, and many believe it got his party elected to power in 1970.
    It's one of the thankfully very few episodes that makes me feel ashamed to be British.

3. sarah23

But in the 2016 referendum to leave the European Union, immigration was the no1 reasom for leaving.
    Anti immigrant feeling even against fellow Europeans !

4. redlolly

Brexit wasn't only about immigration. That's a massive oversimplification.
    The idiot Farage and his right wing nutcase contingent tried to use terrorism to stir up anti-immigration fervour and make it all about that one issue, but I think most voters on both sides aren't stupid or narrow minded enough to fall for that. I am pro-Brexit & pro-immigration, and I know plenty of others who feel the same way.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Interesting

I have never heard and most likley never will hear an American say anything similar too: "I think most voters on both sides aren't stupid or narrow minded enough to fall for that"

Luckily there is apparently some kind of floor to stupidity. Now the portion of Americans with a functioning brain can rest assured that there is some evidence that we may have already seen the worlds worst.

Thank you for your post.

6. sarah23

Of course not only about immigration but we do hear a lot about it in the news.
    Free mouvement of people will be a big issue.

7. redlolly

I agree. It's a big issue regardless of the Brexit outcome.

8. sarah23

Given our colonial history, we should be doing motr to help immigrants to integrate and to become useful citixens

9. redlolly

Well some are, and Nigel Farage certainly did a great job in trying to unite them behind UKIP at a general election.
    Fortunately though it was found out to be mostly hype and media scaremongering. When the votes came in he was nowhere and exposed for the laughing-stock he really is.
    There's no floor on the stupidity of people. You just hope they're in a small enough minority.
    So far it's been the case here. Elsewhere in Europe the rise of the far right has seemed more pronounced.
    In America I think part of the problem is that there are only 2 alternatives. It polarises people.

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I like that quote "There is no floor on stupidity you just hope they are in small enough minority"

Touche

Point taken

11. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Realistically, making them useful citizens can be done only if they arrive in small doses. The thing is, the majority of immigrants to France (from West Africa, the Maghreb) can at least speak the language. That's a start. How many of the 1-2 Mio immigrants that have arrived in Germany since 2015 can even speak German? Close to none. It takes a 6-12 months government funded course for every single one of them to bring them up to a level of language skill that one could get them in the workforce. Secondly, there are some international standards in place regarding criteria on which one can get asylum. Let's leave aside Syrians, Iraqis and Afghanis, they all have good reason to seek asylum. As for Africans the two largest groups of new arrivals are Eritreans and Nigerians. Eritreans are also allowed to stay automatically on humanitarian grounds. No we are left with the Nigerians. I live in a small Bavarian town and all of a sudden there are Nigerians everywhere. Now I am not hating on the Nigerians, but sorry to say, there is no good reason for them to be here (in terms of refugee law). y I know too much about Nigeria for them to bullshit me about Boko Haram chasing all of them. Many joined the big treck in 2015 but had stayed in Italy for years and years. Italy where Edo girls have been tricked and trafficked to for prostitution. But welfare is better here so why not. 90% of the time when I see Nigerians I hear them speak Igbo. The Haussas from the North who are actually besieged by BH will not even make it here. So if we allow them stay to be just we have to allow everyone else stay also and very soon our welfare system will crash. End of rant, I'm sorry!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  12. sarah23

Yes I undesrstand what u say.
    At least in France, mostof ouriigrants are from.zFrench speaking countries.
    Im happy to see thst , as a WW you can also be critical. Sometimes its not eady to express our ideas.

13. sarah23

Maybe the media is telling us thst its just an immigration issue.
    Andmany of us are pro imigration in principle.

14. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I read about the Black Diaspora in the UK for many years. Blacks had lived there since the Roman times and some of those Black men had relations with WW. I read of the 18th,19th,and 20th Centuries. I also seen at the Imperial War Museum of the contributions of Blacks during the two World Wars and saw photos of some with their White wives. When the Black US troops came in the early 40's before D-Day they dated the British women and that was before the Empire Windrush arrived. Yes,there was opposition from Oswald Mosley to Enoch Powell to the National Front. The former boyfriend of Christine Keeler,Johnny Edgecombe said in his book that without WW living in the UK would be unbearable.

15. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Of course Mr.Farage whom I call "I did a runner" when Brexit came he resigned from UKIP.

16. sarah23

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  17. sarah23

Because of the need for manpiwer, soldiers were recruited from everywhere, especially in the colonies.
    So their relations with local European women was tolerated, maybe even encouraged. With prostitutes but also with other women.

18. foxyred

foxyred Active Member

I agree with Redlolly.

I was 18 when I had my first IR relationship. I had preferred black men for years before but I didn’t do anything about it because I was afraid of what people would say. For a really long time afterwards I was worried too and never introduced my boyfriends to my family or friends. But, to be honest when I finally did, no-one really seemed to care. I always imagined taking my first black boyfriend home to meet my parents and having some big scene but when I finally did, there wasn’t any. I built it up in my head and worried over nothing. Of course, you get racists everywhere but to society in general it doesn’t seem to be a big deal anymore.

19. foxyred

foxyred Active Member

Agreed. I voted remain but if there was another referendum tomorrow I would vote to leave.

Its got nothing to do with immigration. I think the UK is better because for it. But after seeing the nasty, spiteful reaction of many in the EU and in the UK I think a certain distance should be maintained politically.

20. redlolly

Our stories are so alike, it's amazing.
    I wish I'd had your strength and courage at 18.