Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Are they still making Ginger Snaps movies!? I've only seen three of them. The second one is my favorite.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Except it's not, not completely anyway. We all know that people have implicit biases. Even a studio exec's love for money can't always trump that bias. The situation only gets worse when the bias gets more explicit. Yes money is a huge motivator, but it's not always the deciding vote.

3. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I think I saw that film. Very low budget. Very.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I think a fourth film came out and was shown on SyFy. Catherine Isabelle reprised the part of Ginger.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Maybe. But the head honchos at the studios were always in competition with each other. Television is no different. In the past there were three television networks to entertain the country. Now there are more than a dozen. Even if some are under the parent network like NBC/Universal. Lots of choices to suit almost every viewing taste. I often wonder how these shows make money for the network and the parent network if it is based on viewership.

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Just because it was low budget, doesn't mean that it didn't have something to say.

7. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Agreed

8. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Great. Now I get to spend an afternoon looking for this online lol. Thanks for the put on.

9. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

That is cool G. Hope to see those flicks.

10. Soulthinker

I know I mentioned it on past threads:How To Make Love to A Negro Without Getting Tired. I saw it at a art theater more than 20 years ago.

11. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Co-sign. I'm embarrassed nowdays for folks when I ever hear them use the term "Swirl". It's a word I associate with hater site or MediaTakeout using whenever they wanna throw shade or put on blast a Black celebrity's IR 'ship.

That Christelyn Karazin chick embarrassing herself a couple weeks ago & getting put on blast didn't help either.

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Christelyn Karazin had been getting a lot of shade lately. I had heard about her story of her relationship and the challenges that she and her husband faced. But she still has her subscribers to support her.

13. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Okay so I just watched this on Netflix and it started out good but the ending did not do the movie justice. They really should have done the ending different.

14. ColiBreh1

The Hollywood Reporter interview at TIFF 2016:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  15. chamber

chamber Active Member

Yep.

Botswana's neighbors Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and South Africa - countries with white minority rule were mad about the marriage and put the UK's Labour party-led government under pressure to bar Khama from chieftainship.

16. ColiBreh1

I'm 25 minutes into the 2012 movie "Red Tails". This movie has a black "All-star" cast, sort of. The reason I said "sort of" is because a lot the actors in this movie (Such as Nate Parker, David Oyelowo, Michael B. Jordan, Tristan Wilds, & Leslie Odom Jr.) were no-names back when this movie was released over 4.5 years ago. This movie is proof that all these years Hollywood tried to act like they were no young upcoming Black actors was Bullshit.

Anyways David Oyelowo's character Joe has a love interest who is an Italian chick who doesn't speak English named Sofia (played by Daniela Ruah;The chick who plays Kensi Blye on "NCIS: Los Angeles")

17. Soulthinker

I mentioned that on a thread years back when that movie was released. I saw Red Tails more than once.

18. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Admitting that would be a threat to their posterboy of hollywood, the white man. With these up and coming young black talent and T.V. putting them on, Hollywood's film industry got nervous, so nervous they whitewashed hollywood acting oscar categories. Think about that, why was it mainly the acting categories the past two years that had zero diversity?

19. ColiBreh1

[​IMG]

This theatrical poster for "Red Tails" is laughable. Nate Parker & David Oyelowo easily have the biggest roles in the movie. They are basically the actual 2 leads.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

As did I. I was impressed with the film. I wasn't at all surprised by the negative press and input on the internet. The truth is that a lot of people have never heard of the Red Tails. Before this film, HBO made a film called The Tuskegee Airmen with Laurence Fishburne. It was no surprise that the white respondents didn't believe that blacks did serve in WW2 and were heroes. But the one response to Red Tails was not about race, but the script. I felt that the script was a little off, but then, again, does anyone really knew what these people said in those days?