Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Neither was One Night Stand, Swirl, Jump and Jump Tomorrow.

The point. I am making is that interracial romance is definitely kept at a minimum because of the white audience who puts out the money to see movies that they want to see. Hence, the need for bankable A-list actors and actresses, which happen to be white to fill roles for other minorities and ethnicities. Hollywood, like this country, has a long way to go.

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

There are only a couple of bm actors that Hollywood is willing to cast in IR in films. They generally have to be actors that mainstream US society is comfortable with and "welcomes into their home", so to speak. And it's usually in a role that includes at least some humor. The bm actor can't be too aggressive or threatening.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Very True.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

And white male actors can be serial killers and anarchists, which happen to be aggressive and threatening. Which is why black male actors are either comic relief, coward and villain. How many of these black male actors are mainstream? Not many(Sidney Poitier, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Terrence Howard, Dwayne Johnson, Taye Diggs, so far). But there are a lot more out there that have potential, also.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. orejon4

I agree. Hollywood suffers from a serious lack of guts and imagination.

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Very true. Which is why I always say and will continue to say that independent films are the way to go. I have heard that USA network has a show called Fallen Water and another called Timeless. Both shows have a black male main character.

The CBS network admitted that the issue of diversity is slow but they are working on it.
    That's why I enjoy the IFC channel.

7. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

This seriously gets me. On one hand, Hollywood claims to be the ultimate tastemaker and trendsetter, deciding what's cool and acceptable. On the other hand, they act like they're powerless to combat the presumed whims of bigots, mysogynists, and other assorted idiots. Smh

8. orejon4

Me too. Cable television has far better programming, in my opinion. The plots are often phenomenal and they are much braver about introducing new faces.

So true. I think they can't actually make tastes or set trends, but are somewhat adept at feeding junk food to the herd. Over time, if you saturate the herd with something, they will eventually acclimate to it, but it's a slow process. To combat the bigotry of this society and mainstream non-white actors and storylines, they would have to saturate the airwaves and theaters with racially progressive imagery and storylines. And remember, they are also culled from among some of the same herd whose tastes need shaping, so they're loathe to support that objective.

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

It's not about white, black and whatever else. It's about green. Money.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

PBS is also brave with those British shows. They never cease to amaze and entertain me. The Sundance Channel and Investigation Discovery also has some programs that feature an ir couple, even if the couple are either criminals or victims.

11. orejon4

Yes. I guess the roles and stories are out there, they just aren't going to happen with major studios. The same way big corporations don't innovate, the small up and comers do.

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I remember an interview with Michelle Phillips of The Mamas And The Papas. She advised her daughter, I think it was Bijou, whom was in Wilson Phillips not to sign up with a big label but sign up with a small label that would welcome something new.

But the entertainment industry is fickle by nature and finds safety in familiarity. That could lead to a downfall of the medium. If it hasn't already.

13. orejon4

True. The big budget houses all produce a lot of derivative drivel. I'm as guilty of watching some of it as anyone (read: sci-fi, superhero and fantasy flicks), but prefer to get the other subject matter from smaller studios.

14. orejon4

Well, Keira and Will will have to wait a few days before they get my money, lol.

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Well, I am guilty of watching films from The Asylum studios on SyFy. I tell you that sometimes cgi monster movies are terrible on television. But some, like Big Ass Spider is pretty good visually.

The Ginger Snaps movies keep moving on as well as the Sharknado franchise(though I have never taken the time to watch the films).

In most cases, I'd probably see more if I had the DVD.

16. darkcurry

Independent Films with IR just discovered:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. darkcurry

Quite a few of those independent/DVD horror flicks be having IR couples in them. One I seen recently was

CREATURE

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. orejon4

Ugh, I'm so ready for the term 'swirl' to disappear.

I can't lie. The Sharknado films crack me up.

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

There was a film called Swirl back in the late 90's or early 2000's . It was about an interracial couple who had been together since they first met in their freshman year in college. They graduate from college and decide to take their relationship to the next level; marriage. But the man begins to have doubts and questions about his own identity. It was a good film. And so was Diary of a Tired Black Man. A very spot-on film.

20. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I actually saw this. It is quite possibly the worst movie ever released in theaters. Serinda Swan is FINE though. She's dated both Mehcad Brooks (the dude in the pic) and Terrell Owens.