BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Got around to watching the Friends From College the past two days and overall as suspected it is indeed another dysfunctional IR couple:

Some things to take away:

- 1 Everybody isn't cheating on each other, it is only the IR couple and this white couple who the black guy(Keegan) is having an affair with his wife. The white guy isn't cheating
    in fact he is portrayed as the loving husband and doting dad.

- Keegan's wife(played by Colbie Smulder) later in the show cheats on him, but with out knowing he cheated; she just suspected it and was going through the emotions, because her life seems to be a wreck on this show. She cheated on him with a white guy who is a drug addicted, pretty much man-whore(lol.) who is in love with her... lol, okay.

-Interesting note on the sex scenes. All of the IR sex scenes including the one with Colbie Smulder was borderline network TV tame, by having the actors keep some of their clothes on and in position especially with Colbie Smulder and Keegan Michael Key, their sex scene was REALLY tame. While when she cheated with the white guy they decided to turn it up by having the actors strip naked and get all steamy and sweaty and in multiple positions. You can pretty much tell more went into it there.

-The black guy and the wife of who he is having the affair with ended it even though she loves him. And she wants to hold out on telling anybody about it.

-He never told his wife he was cheating on her, but she confessed to her cheating.

-She told him after she confessed she cheated, she wanted a break.

It was a different mix they add to the formula, but still as I suspected when I saw cheating was involved they made the IR couple the center piece of it. The white husband is the only one not having the affair and being done wrong. Another disastrous IR couple on screen they lead to more and more bad things episode after episode. Hard to watch because you are not rooting for them. If they get a second season, it's impossible to root for them to get back together being as though they both cheated and he still NEVER told her he was cheating. The only couple they made the audiences root for was the gay couple to get back together, as there was no cheating involved when they broke up. He just got tired of his raucus, immature friends. And they made the white husband who do not know what's going on a likeable, corky character. Keegan's character isn't likeable. They even tried to make the pill popper and promiscuous guy likeable by having be in love with Keegan's wife played by Colbie Smulder.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

I do, because I would like t watch women with my preference in men succeed in love.

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

@darkcurry (or @Tamstrong) Can you please edit your post & use the actual spoiler tags? Folks don't use the spoiler tags enough in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. darkcurry

I tried that and nothing showed up on my end. I'll try it again. Will you tell me if it worked?

5. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

It sure is. You don't see disfuction in a IR couple with BW and WM only in the reverse.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

It worked.

7. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

TV seems to show diversity but,on the side they just put a lot of negatives in IR in BM/WW.

8. darkcurry

Okay, cool.

9. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Let's be fair have you ever seen Scandal? Ain't no happy endings there.

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

I hardly think Friends From College is the example of this...it had plenty of bad white couples as well.

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

I mean besides the Asian chick...who I guess could be bad for never blabbing about an Affair that she knew about for like 20 years....
    No one on that show was shown to be an especially good person.

That is not say though that we don't get far fewer BM/WF relationships then the reverse and that they end poorly most of time.

12. darkcurry

???

I watched the series, they're are only three together-together couples. The asian girl's boyfriend isn't really apart of the cast and their relationship is pretty normal. The gay couple broke up due to his friends, but CLEARLY their is a lot of love there. The pill popper really just sleeps around with young girls and clearly if you watched the finale proposed to someone who he is not into, because he is in love Colbie Smulder's character.

The actual couples: Sam's husband is clueless, but he isn't doing her wrong, threw her a lavish birthday and is like a normal but corky husband and father. The only ones involved in cheating are Ethan, Sam, Lisa and Nick with only three of them cheating on their ACTUAL spouses. So I'm not really getting these plenty of white couples. Are we watching the same show? lol.

Again I'am looking at how they are writing it. They are showing there isn't anything that serious about the gay couples break up. And clearly still on love as evident in episode 7. Nick the pill popper isn't tied down to anyone, but they wrote him as to be in love with Lisa - The only couple that broke up were Ethan and Lisa. I get what your saying, almost the entire cast has issues, but follow the story in how they are writing it don't just sum it up to a thing like Mirianne knowing about the affair, because what they wrote in she also wanted them to come clean. Just like they wrote in Lisa coming clean about cheating on Ethan, but Ethan keeping his and Sam's relationship still secret. Nick being there for Lisa and falling in love with her. It's character building with everyone except Ethan and Sam. This show is poorly written, so maybe your not catching it because of that, but I've seen it many times, a bad character that they try and build into a good one that the audience can root for. We just seen it on iZombie, the main character cheated and used an excuse that the black guy shot down and her along with the guy she cheated with are still seen as good people because of what they have done after that.

13. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

There is a show on Hulu called CASUAL where a British brother and the assistant of the female lead got engaged.

It was kind of weird though because she is the one who got down on her knee and proposed. I know in this modern world women can ask men to marry them, but seeing it on a scripted show looks weird to me.

[​IMG]

14. Soscean

Soscean Member

A Canadian show called "Four in the Morning" has a nice couple (Michelle Mylett as Jamie, and Mazin Elsadig as William Wilson).
    A comedy about four friends getting together at 4am. Unfortunately it is only 1 season 8 episodes, not renewed.

cutmypic (1).png cutmypic.png CuQUMOvWIAAvV8X.jpg

15. Reverie

Men always complains about women not taking enough initiativ, but when a woman does take initiativ, you think it is weird...

16. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Not surprised it's Canada

17. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Well yeah, saying it looks weird isn't a judgment it's just a notable observation because I'm not used to seeing it on TV. It's like seeing a black hockey player for the first time. It generates a "huh....that's weird" response in your mind until you get used to seeing it more often.

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's not what they had in mind. Lmao

How about you suggest a restaurant for friday night? See how easy that was? Lol

19. Reverie

Ok, so this has to do with men isn't invited enough out?

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Wut? Lol

No

All I was saying in that example is if we already know that we are eating out friday, how about you decide where. Why should I be expected to?