BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Interesting...

2. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

3. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

As it pertains to Star the lead actress on the series as well as her costar playing her sister are both mixed, she is actually married to a black guy.
    [​IMG]
    On the show though this guy will be her love interest.
    [​IMG]

Oh Darius McCray aka Eddie Winslow will be play the abusive foster father role to one of the girls.

4. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Oh god. Lee Daniels & Tyler Perry really ain't that much different are they?

5. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Ok, seriously, this is that bs shoehorning again. there is literally no reason to cast an abusive black foster dad. When's the last time you've seen a foster dad anyways, it's usually just a foster mom.

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Gotta keep up that evil dark skin trope
    Look at Empire and who has been killed
    Cookie's cousin
    Frank Gathers
    Lucious's best friend all dark skin men
    And the villain FBI agent this season is no other than Lucious's evil dark skin half brother trying to bring the family down.
    I guess why mess with what works.

7. darkcurry

Kind of knew that the way everything was playing out on the commercial teasers, the only way her love interest was going to be black is if HE was the
    abusive one. Lee Daniels and Tyler Perry plays to certain type of audience.

8. darkcurry

***bit of a spoiler alert**

Been watching this Canadian Show "Shoot The Messenger" and they seemed to take a cue from U.S. they have the main character in a love "triangle"
    with a black guy and white guy who she cheated on the black guy with and no problem whatsoever with the excuse being she was so attracted to him.
    But they seem to be writing the interracial relationship as a tumultuous one where the sex is the only thing great about it. Most of their scenes together which aren't many
    have conflict in them. While the white guy she cheated with who is also happens to be married have the all the sensuality and connection to them like building and telling the audience
    the story of how they are going to be together and they have more scenes than she does with the cop boyfriend.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I learned how to read the subliminal messages when tv shows have IR on them. If there is the "attractive" white guy in the picture chances
    are they are just using the IR relationship to give the audience just sex and why it won't work out and why the "hot" white guy is the better choice. They kind
    of did the same thing on supergirl. Canada missing the chance to have a rare successful IR relationship between a black man and a white woman with the star of the
    show.

9. ColiBreh1

Have you watched the season finale (Episode 8) that aired last night?

I haven't yet & I want to know if it's safe to read your post.

10. darkcurry

**spoiler alert on SHOOT THE MESSENGER**

The season finale pretty much confirmed they are trying to go along with her and simon(the white guy) as a couple when she attempted
    to ask him out STILL knowing he is married and got shut down, but you can pretty much tell he was having second thoughts about shutting her down
    as the dramatic music hit. lol. The show ended with her doing a line of coke. This character that she plays is pretty messed up though, I feel bad for Kevin the black guy
    she's stringing along, she totally don't deserve him. Her and the cheater belong together but I guess that's what they wanted the audience to root for anyway.

11. darkcurry

I just posted about it in my recent post, I was watching the season finale this morning. But the post your asking about is safe to read if you
    already seen those episodes.

12. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the show, but I'm not surprised. They tend to do that. The white woman is super messed up somehow, the black man is either abusive or oblivious to what's going on, and there is always some white guy that she secretly wants instead (if only she could get herself together, she could find a nice white man instead of settling for the black man). Those shows are rather predictable, but I am sure they are entertaining.

13. darkcurry

Yeah but that's the thing he kind of knows that Simon likes her and you can tell he doesn't really like him and he is a pretty good guy and cop. That is the twist they thrown in there. I found myself feeling sorry for Kevin especially when she cheated on him like it wasn't shit. Her and that white guy are fucked up I don't know how fans are reacting but Lyriq Bent's character is actually more likable.

But yeah a few episodes in and especially the finale they clearly used the interracial angle to set up a love "triangle" to make the white guy look like the best love interest for her.
    Shame, ruined a pretty good show.

Reminds me of how they used the IR angle on supergirl in the first season to set Kara up with what looks like to be her love interest now in the 2nd season.

14. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

In fairness to Supergirl (a show I don't really care for), Kara and Jimmy didn't have any chemistry and the writing, for them and the show, was stale and awkward. Their relationship was boring and combine that with the IR element and I was surprised they stuck with it for an entire season. The two actors look great together but their characters seemed to fizzle in the few romantic scenes they had.

Also, You're right. IR is drifting into the damaged white girl model. BM are there either to "fix" them or be a part of their collapse.

15. darkcurry

I know, that's why I think it was just used to set up and lead people away from caring about it and caring about relationships she has had with white guys
    more. They even gave her better chemistry with Barry/The Flash.

It's all just starting to look like a way to purposely get audiences to stop caring for IR relationships with the way they are writing and producing them to
    when it no longer has an big audience and fan support they can have an excuse not to continue with much of it. That's my theory.

To me the one best IR relationship on TV in the past 5 years we're Travis and Sonya from Continuum
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Even though they broke up and fought. They did get back together and the show never really treated their
    relationship as a doomed IR relationship nor did they give her another lover to fall in love with. When they put them
    back together they showed how strong the relationship was between the two.

Bad ass couple.

16. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

Good to know, I'll check for Continuum.

17. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Interesting. And I agree about the Supergirl thing.

18. ColiBreh1

I might have to check for "Continuum" too. Y'all got any other recommendations?

19. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

That's why I give Supergirl a pass on the IR angle. I feel like they really tried to do it, and do it righ. But, there was zero chemistry between the two of them. Their romantic scenes just always fell flat. And, they were written as well as any of the other DCCW romances. What else could they do but give her a new love interest?

We'll see if they try again with another black male love interest for Kara down the road.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  20. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Freeform will drop this show after one season as usual.