BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

My boy Dixon was knocking down white girl after white girl lol
    The only white girl on there who didn't swirl was Annie they kept her "pure" lol
    It was a pretty good show for what it was unfortunately The CW shifted from general drama to pure fantasy and sci-fi with exception of probably Jane the virgin. They have 4 superhero shows back to back to back to back, there really wasn't a place for 90210 anymore.
    Anyone else notice that none of the few guys on color on these shows get any play what so ever but oddly all the white dudes knock down everything. Hell even the few women of color on these shows don't mess with any men of color.
    Shit really dawned on me when I was re-watching some of Flash season 2. They have Hawk Girl as a reincarnated Egyptian priestest (who through every past life is a black chick that's not how reincarnation works) get her soul mate who is an Egyptian prince happens to be white and is always reincarnated into a white dude. The Flash has Iris yet Cisco gets no one and Wally for some reason rejects the cute white girl who is into him. Then on Legends when Hawk Girl is single again she chooses the white dude over the black dude who's into her. She leaves last season and they bring in another black girl who had a love affair with another white character but looks at the black dude as just a platonic friend.
    I'll give Arrow some what of a pass because of John Diggle and his wife but they've had all of 5 scenes together out of 5 seasons but that's a stretch.
    Finally Supergirl had that weird thing with Jimmy Olsen where she was "super" into him and suddenly just drops the whole thing so they can be friends.
    I wonder if they are too afraid to show that side of relationships again after what happened with 90210.

2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Naw, Annie dated Tracee Ellis Ross' younger brother Evan Ross in Season 2.

3. The Dark King

I guess. It really wasn't a full on relationship it was about two episodes so technically you're right.

4. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

On the Flash Wally did decide to pursue it with Jessie

She went back to Earth 2 though but I am guessing she might be back later in the season.

You're right about the other shows and don't forget the other black guy on Arrow Curtis they made him gay and Walter from season one was married to Oliver and Thea's mom but the marriage didn't last the entire season.

As for 90210 I just hated how whenever they put Dixon with anyone he always got screwed over.
    Silver- She was mentally unstable
    Ivy-Ended up sleeping with another guy after Dixon had his health scare
    Adriana-Fell for a new guy while Dixon was recovering from his accident.

Though if you want to look for a show that has never shied away from IR relationships you would have to look to out friends north of the border.
    Degrassi even from it's earliest incarnations back in the 80's to the lastest Netflix version IR relationships are something that have always been featured.
    80's
    [​IMG]
    2000's Next generation
    [​IMG]
    2016 Degrassi Next Class
    [​IMG]

Canada also had the show Instant Star its main character dated a black guy
    [​IMG]
    Laura Vandervroot on the same show had a long running IR relationship
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. The Dark King

Damn can't argue that and you gotta love those Canadians. They introduce IR like its no big deal and it never skips a beat.

6. Black men getting no play See this happens in so many shows/commercial and people don't notice but these send a subliminal message. People need to be smarter than the shows, good catch!

7. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot of black male characters get shafted on tv nowadays, even in shows produced by black people we get the short end of the stick in relationships(like Empire and HTGAWM for example).

8. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

What? No love for Arrow's Mr. Terrific? He's married to a white ... LOL!!!!

9. The Dark King

Lol oh yeah forgot its far more acceptable to have us with other men than white women. I mean hell this is sci-fi where super powered beings are acceptable but the idea of a show centering around a black guy or even giving them a love interest is unacceptable. Fuck the dumb shit gotta make our own art and produce and distribute our own stuff.

10. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

11. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Yeah in the midst of praising TV for being IR friendly, we seem to miss what does seem to be a subliminal message on a few of these shows.

12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

13. The Dark King

Yeah like killing off that delicious white girl and have Andre end up with some hood rat singer. Dude met his gorgeous ass wife at Penn and she was ride or die, let dude cheat if it meant more money and power for them, saved dude from his uncle and helped him get rid of the body. Then they write in that crazy chick pushing her down the stairs killing her kid and when she confronts her about it they have the white chick die. And that some how results in Andre dating some chick who has zero in common with him. Message loud and clear, always be with a black chick no matter what.

14. ColiBreh1

Yeah I still watch "Empire", but I've seen enough in 2.5 seasons that I'm not gonna waste my time watching any new upcoming Lee Daniels' shows (or movies) in the future. I'm not gonna get suckered into that new "Star" show from him that premieres next week:

The lead character seems to be a white chick & the show takes place in Atlanta, so good chance we'll be talking about it in the IR on TV thread in the future.

15. MilkandCoffee

^Did they just pull a rachel dolezal?

Jokes aside, the fact that the series is set in Atlanta tells me there won't be any ir, not any straight ir anyways.

16. ColiBreh1

Why do you say that?

17. The Dark King

Co
    Cosign

18. MilkandCoffee

Just a feeling of mine, seems like the only time bm get a positive ir portrayal is in series set outside of the US or at least not in southern states.

Shows set in Atlanta do the same thing with their bm characters. Characterize them as either gay, in the closet, thugs, ignorant, drug dealers, baby mama drama, or all of the above if they can shoehorn enough stereotypes into one character.

19. The Dark King

Preach

20. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Well you know that if they are anything but, then there will be that certain group in the black community that will bash them for whitewashing and creating characters that are not "black enough." smh.