Inmates offered less jail time in return for vasectomies

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Good idea, or a Right violation?

By Gina Cherelus

(Reuters) - A judge in Tennessee is offering inmates at a county jail reduced sentences if they agree to undergo a free vasectomy or birth control injections, drawing fire from opponents who say the program violates fundamental constitutional rights.

The program, which offers White County Jail inmates 30 days off their time behind bars, aims to encourage participants to be successful and avoid being "burdened with children," Judge Sam Benningfield said in an interview on Thursday with Nashville's News Channel 5.

"This gives them a chance to get on their feet and make something of themselves," the judge said.

Benningfield's order took effect on May 15 but only garnered national attention after the News Channel 5 report. Dozens of inmates are said to have signed up.

Marla Neal, a spokeswoman for Benningfield's office, confirmed the details via telephone and said a statement will be issued later on Friday.

Thirty-two women have received the birth control implant so far and 38 men were awaiting a vasectomy, according to News Channel 5.

Male inmates who volunteer are given a vasectomy while women receive the birth control implant Nexplanon under the skin of their arm, which prevents pregnancies for up to four years, the report said, citing Tennessee's Department of Health.

The state's health department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee denounced what it called a "so-called choice" between jail time and "coerced" contraception or sterilization.

"Such a choice violates the fundamental constitutional right to reproductive autonomy and bodily integrity by interfering with the intimate decision of whether and when to have a child," it said in a statement on Wednesday.

District Attorney Bryant Dunaway, who oversees prosecutions in White County, told News Channel 5 he was worried about the ethical implications.

"It's concerning to me. My office doesn't support this order," Dunaway said. His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Reuters.

Inmates in White County, which is about 260 miles (418 kilometers) southwest of Nashville, are also given two days off their sentence if they complete an education program on the risks of raising children while using illegal drugs.

"I understand it won't be entirely successful," Bennington told the TV station in his interview. "But if you reach two or three people, maybe that's two or three kids not being born under the influence of drugs. I see it as a win-win."

(Reporting by Gina Cherelus in New York; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Matthew Lewis)

2. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Horrible logic.

3. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Might be the most racist story I've read recently.
    Basically this judge has theorized there's a genetic and racial component to criminal behavior.
    Most of these fools have lost custody of their kids anyway.

This judge believes if you prevent men convicted of crime from reproducing, you somehow reduce crime.

Giving nexplanon to women inmates is questionable too, but at least it's not permanent.

I just don't believe a single justification this judge gave for enacting this policy.
    Eugenics at its core was about sterilizing the undesirables in our society so they couldn't reproduce.

What's the difference??

4. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I saw someone mention on Twitter that blacks are less than 1% of the population though: https://twitter.com/hoosierworld/status/888519399346458624

5. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

On the one hand, I'm tempted to say, if they're stupid enough to take that deal, have at it.

On the other hand, it's coercive, because the system is also in charge of how much time the person will serve, how much time they can save by being neutered, the brutal conditions of the prison in which they serve the time, who's encouraged to take the deal and who's not, etc.

...Plus, it's a slippery slope...

6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

7. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I think she was talking about either that particular prison or county.