I don't want to be tolerated

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by MixedCalifornian, Feb 11, 2013.

1. MixedCalifornian

MixedCalifornian Active Member

All our life we here about "being tolerant." White liberals will often tell their kids to "be tolerant" Lets look at what it means to actually tolerate a group of people.

Tol·er·ate
    /?täl??r?t/
    Verb

1 Allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

2 Accept or endure (someone or something unpleasant or disliked) with forbearance

Seeing the definition of tolerance do you want to be tolerated? An itch, an annoyance. Those are things you tolerate.

I want to be a human being not something thats tolerated. Also lets just say a large number of us are just "tolerated" by our fellow Americans.

2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Honestly, I know many white liberals and they don't teach "tolerance". They teach acceptance, they teach equality, they teach compassion. No one wants to be "tolerated". That's definitely a shitty word when dealing with human beings. Tolerance is how we deal with THINGS not people.

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

i understand what you are saying. sometimes I believe we say things (not being mean) and not fully thinking it through.

4. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

I think it all comes down to respect, even more so than tolerance. No one has to like anyone or any thing. I honestly think it's ok not to like someone, whether it's an individual, a type or a group of people. BUT, IMO, one must have respect for the fact that they're human beings and have the right to live their lives, just as you do.

I'd never teach hate or intolerance towards others to my children (if I had any), but I'd respect their right to not like someone/something, as long as they showed respect.

I mean not everyone is going to like you and you're not going to like everyone. It's just the way of the world. So, tolerance and respect are actually good things to teach.

Not sure if that made much sense, but that's my take on it anyway.

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

yes....well ed. I guess the word tolerance could be defined as such when it talks about race and culture. so maybe i need to rethink my position on the use/view of the word.

my view is when used for race and color and ethnic, tolerance could be viewed as a bad word

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Tolerance is not acceptance. I think it is important to know the difference between the two. I would rather be accepted than tolerated. If someone tolerates me, it is more like I am treated as though I am expendable. Accepted, I am a person people value and I would do the same for other people.

7. MixedCalifornian

MixedCalifornian Active Member

Exactly my point.

8. IntoTheQCD

IntoTheQCD Member

Agreed, my stance.

9. JamahlSharif

JamahlSharif Well-Known Member

I'll take respect over acceptance or tolerance any day. Sh*t, you don't have to accept/tolerate me... your choice...but you WILL respect me. No choice in that matter. I don't leave any room but to respect me. I earn it, warrant it, command it, demand it...and it's reciprocated as well.

10. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

There's a few people round here that I tolerate.

Barely

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Exactly :smt023 Who gives a shit if you're tolerated by someone - who the fuk are they that one needs their paltry tolerance. They can kiss it, lol.

On the respect tip you mention, I see it more-so as I don‘t even want or need their respect, but they WILL show me respect. Otherwise, they won't get it shown back. The only persons whose actual respect I’d seek is from those whom I love and love me. Anyone else, kick rocks.

12. JamahlSharif

JamahlSharif Well-Known Member

I LOVE the way you think...marry me? Lol:rolleyes:

13. FRESH

FRESH New Member

I know there is one BIG reason your tolerating me;)

On a serious note, what I think the book definition doesn't capture, is that people usually try to ignore & cover up what they're tolerating. Thus, hurting yoru feeling even more, most people want to be seen & everyone deserves to be seen (at least in the beginning of their lives, when they were innocent;))

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

:freehug: lol.

15. Danke

Danke Member

Respect cannot be demanded. When someone demands that I respect them, then they've lost mine. Just the way that I work.

Saying that, I do freely give respect FIRST. It's the jump off point. It is my personal baseline. I freely give my respect until it is proven that it is not warranted or deserved.