Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Ok, my mistake $300 million. $400 million. Shit, what does he do again? and don't give me the the Al Jizz stuff.

I'm not shooting the messenger. Don't be stupid by comparing Al to MLK. Fucking hookers had nothing to do with civil rights and oppression, saying the planet is overheating and then helping to do it is quite different, my luv.

Yes the climate has become political because there is huge amounts of money involved, and at stake.This isn't a bunch of men sitting around a campfire looking at the stars and noticing a discrepancy in the pattern and atmosphere, and deciding not to cook their marshmellows, lol.
    Follow the money...again.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Wrong. I was one a huge believer in global warming and a die-hard liberal..then l took the red pill, lol.

Seriously, l just start to snoop when it comes to be big business (involved)...and since l don't trust the Libs or the Republicans on it, l form my own theories, because even Scientists do not all agree on GW either...it's still murky. I'm not a denier, just not a blind believer that it's "all man-made".

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

@Archman. Check in if you lurk, hun. Let us know if you're ok.

4. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Do you know why the hurricane season is generally during the late summer and early fall??
    Because that's when the tropical and Atlantic ocean temperatures are usually the warmest.

Hurricanes need ocean temps at a minimum level of 80 degrees F and above including humid air temperatures.
    The warmer the ocean temps become, the greater intensity of tropical storms and precipitation.

There's a DIRECT correlation between ocean temps and extreme weather events.
    https://cpo.noaa.gov/warmingworld/air_temperature_over_ocean.html

Unless you believe the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is a George Soros funded organization, and not an adjunct of the U.S. Department of Commerce, the next question you need to ask yourself is WHY are ocean temps rising??

Per the EPA;

As greenhouse gases trap more energy from the sun, the oceans are absorbing more heat, resulting in an increase in sea surface temperatures and rising sea level. Changes in ocean temperatures and currents brought about by climate change will lead to alterations in climate patterns around the world.
    https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators/oceans

Global temps have been steadily rising since 2000, each year warmer than the last. You can dispute why, but the effects are inarguable.

Now, if you can cite any science that says global temps typically rise year per year as a part of a normal Earth cycle, I'll gladly read the links.
    The problem is that NASA, NOAA, the EPA and the Pentagon ALL agree, not just Al Gore, that the rise in global temps is MAN MADE.

There's no debate among climate scientists worldwide that WE are the ones most responsible for climate change. Only the right wing ideologues and the fossil fuel industry funded scientists stand in opposition to what most of us already know.

You're basically standing on the side of 1% of global warming skeptics.

As a practical person, IMO it would make much more sense to stand on the side of consensus instead of the minority opinion.

Look at it this way, if the majority of climate scientists are in error, no harm. No foul.

But if your ONE PERCENT is wrong, we're looking at the extinction of half our species.

At this point I just don't understand how a rational, critical thinking person can still argue that we don't know what causes climate change, or dispute that mankind is responsible for the rise in earth and ocean temperatures worldwide.

Do you really believe ALL the scientists in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America are all about some money grab and totally wrong about climate change??

Or will it take an apocalyptic tsunami to drown Philadelphia before you admit MAN MADE climate change is REAL???

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  5. andreboba

Exxon Mobil misled the public on climate change, Harvard study finds
    • Exxon Mobil acknowledged in research and internal communications that climate change is real and caused by human activity, but it sowed doubt in its ads, a Harvard study found.
    • About 80 percent of Exxon's research acknowledged the scientific consensus, while about 80 percent of the ads expressed doubt, researchers say.
    • Exxon called the report "inaccurate and preposterous," saying it was paid for and written by activists.
    [​IMG]
    John Gress | Getty Images
    Exxon Mobil misled the public about climate change for years even as its research echoed the growing scientific consensus that global warming is real and caused by human activity, a new study finds.

The conclusion is based on a study by two Harvard University researchers, who used social science methods to compare what Exxon Mobil said in nearly 200 scientific publications and internal communications on climate change with what they presented in three dozen advertisements over 15 years.

The researchers' takeaway is that the more publicly available advertisements sowed doubt that climate change is real and caused by humans, while the scientific studies and private exchanges more openly acknowledged that scientific fact.

"We conclude that ExxonMobil contributed to advancing climate science — by way of its scientists' academic publications — but promoted doubt about it in advertorials. Given this discrepancy, we conclude that Exxon Mobil misled the public," the researchers wrote.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/23/exx...ic-on-climate-change-harvard-study-finds.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

But......but.......Obama.

What do you mean Harvard? What about brietbart and fox news? Lol

But.......but......Gore.......

7. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Thoughts & prayers for the safety of all the Florida folks; I hope you & yours are okay.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Whew......in NC at last. Feels good to be back in a normal, non anxious environment. Driving through SC sucked tho.

9. TCFLORIDAGIRL

TCFLORIDAGIRL Well-Known Member

We're ok here Bliss....evacuated to Tallahasse and no home damage! Yay!

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

<3 button! :)

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Tallahasse is actually the city with the highest elevation in Florida. I forget about the panhandle these days. Good move.

12. TCFLORIDAGIRL

Back in Tampa today, left Tallahassee at 5:30 am. Good move on our part as traffic was minimal....now it's major mess again! Tallahassee was a good place to go even though there are many trees there, the damage was very minimal and never lost power!

13. TCFLORIDAGIRL

Hey Beautiful, wow the power of prayer!!! Thanks for yours! I definitely put that into overtime this past week! And now the thanks for the answers to those prayers! Hope you are doing well.

14. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Glad you're well. It was one thing watching the aftermath of Harvey, then Irma. I'm glad Jose seems to be staying out at sea.

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

So now Maria is a cat 4, is expected to strengthen over the next few days and appears to be bound for the Caribbean...... Smh. This part of the world is a wrap, may as well enjoy it before its completely destroyed.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Was listening to a weather meteorologist and he was saying that Puerto Rico is going to get hit dead center but that it had been 28 years since they had been hit by a hurricane like Irma and soon Maria. So it seems it's just a bad year for hurricanes. Price you pay for such beauty.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Fear of global warming is exaggerated, say scientists: Experts now have longer to reduce amount of fossil fuels we burn
    By Colin Fernandez Science Correspondent

The threat of global warming is not as bad as previously thought, climate scientists admitted yesterday.

Warnings made in 2015 at the Paris Climate Change Conference had been too pessimistic, they said.

These were based on projections that suggested nations had already produced too much greenhouse gas to limit global warming to between 2C and 1.5C above 19th-century levels.

This meant drastic and urgent cuts would have to be made in greenhouse gases to stop a climate catastrophe.

But yesterday academics admitted that they had been wrong – and we have a longer time frame to reduce the amount of fossil fuels we burn.

A revolution in solar power, particularly in China, has dramatically cut the amount of carbon dioxide produced, researchers said.

The research by British scientists shows that under the old projections, the world ought now to be 1.3C warmer than the mid-19th century average. In fact the new analysis shows it is between 0.9C and 1C above.

Michael Grubb, professor of international energy and climate change at University College London, accepted that the old projections had been wrong.

He said the new research ‘suggests we have more room than we thought’, while global emissions, particularly from China, have stabilised earlier than expected, he said.

Myles Allen, professor of geosystem science at the Oxford University, said that if the world followed ‘ambitious’ reductions of emissions from where things stand today, there would be even odds of meeting the 1.5C goal.

‘It’s not out of sight, physically, it’s not geophysically impossible,’ he said. Professor Allen pointed to China, which had rolled out 100 gigawatts (GW) of solar power, a quarter of it in the past six months, and to tumbling prices of offshore wind power in the UK.

‘It is looking more hopeful for these multiple reasons that we can deliver the Paris goals,’ he said.

Under the Paris Agreement, countries submitted national plans for cutting greenhouse gas emissions, with a process to update and increase levels of climate action every five years amid recognition that current commitments are not enough.

Professor Grubb said: ‘We’re in the midst of an energy revolution and it’s happening faster than we thought, which makes it much more credible for governments to tighten the offer they put on the table at Paris.’

18. andreboba

I really don't understand where you're coming from with this climate change pessimism, Bliss. The science isn't in dispute. It never was.

The only people who questioned global warming were the fossil fuel industry, and that was to protect their profit margins.
    Conservatives have been politicizing the reality of global warming for almost two decades, yet many of them have come around privately.

Do we have enough time?? I don't know how you reverse the effects of rising ocean levels, or the polar caps melting.

We've just entered the hurricane season in the Atlantic and if Maria continues to strengthen into a CAT 5, that will be the 3rd CAT 5 hurricane in less than a month. It will be the first time that's happened since we've kept records on hurricanes, more than 70 years.

I don't think you understand just how rare CAT 5 hurricanes are, or how rarely do they hit land.

The Caribbean is about to be wiped off the map and you're posting articles from the Daily Mail about how global celsius temperature increases above 19th century levels may be slightly off projections.

It's great that China has reduced their carbon emissions, but the United States is the biggest burner of fossil fuels and if you tell the average Red stater or Trump voter it might be in their AND the planet's best interest to switch to more solar power, they'll practically scream that's 'un-American' and a liberal conspiracy.

We lack leadership from the White House on global warming, the POTUS thinks climate change is fake news, and one entire political party has aligned themselves with the fossil fuel industry that climate change is a hoax.

When one side is still disputing the science and in bed with big oil, I don't see the United States making the radical changes necessary to get ahead of the problem.

Like I've said before, it's going to take at least a couple years of multiple CAT 5 hurricanes hammering Florida at the Atlantic seaboard, preferably a direct hit on D.C., before our legislators wake the fuck up and do something serious about climate change.

19. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

LOL This is from the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4897566/Fear-global-warming-exaggerated-say-scientists.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Its not a price for beauty when its bound to be completely destroyed. More like a limited time offer, but don't worry the rest of the world will follow. I guess that's the price we pay for having a habitable planet. Lol