Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Barbuda got COMPLETELY destroyed, St Martin is Battered and Flooded, Kim is popping off Nukes like shotgun rounds. There are 3 hurricanes out there now! 3! If the GOP stays in power for 8 years how much time do you think we will have left to fix all of the problems and educate the knuckle draggers??

Life is waaay to short to be arguing with them folks. Electing 45 means they learned absolutely nothing from the Bush era. Its a waste to be vested in those people.

2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I feel for sane Floridians that have to put up with Rick Scott and Marco Rubio.
    Ol' Ricky is a climate science denier and Rubio actually admits climate change is a thing, he just won't say human beings are the primary cause of it in the 21st century.

I hate to say it 'cause I live at ground zero in the DMV, but I think it would take a CAT 4/5 hurricane landing on the District of Columbia before conservatives would get their heads straight about climate change.

What's even scarier is if the permafrost at the poles continues to melt, it's going to release billions of tons of methane into the environment, the consequence of which could end up being an extinction level event for much of the human species because of the rise in water and air temperatures.

We still have time to prevent this from happening, but the melt has already started.

I know it's fucked up but I really hope Irma crawls all the way up the East coast to Boston. Americans need a major wake up call because Irma won't be the strongest hurricane we see over the next few years.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

^ v Your last paragraph though:eek:...smh!!

Honestly hurricanes have been around forever. This Earth has frozen over, overheatedl to hell, erupted to liquid and swept under seas... come on now, the only difference is we have overpopulated the planet. Before, we weren't in mother nature's path to be dealt in such a destructive way.

I was looking at some hurricane photos of Houston from the 1900's, before the Industrial Revolution and they show devastion. Hundreds or thousands of people died (I forget the #) I can post the pictures just so you can see this likely isn't about man-made climate change. The climate changes all the time on it's own. We should realize were not exempt to Mother Nature's forces that treats us no different than ants. All you can do is get to safety from her wrath.

Saying that, l do think we should be as green as possible. I'm personally really anal and strict about pollution and waste and recycling.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

2 inhabited islands are completely destroyed. Barbuda and St Martin.

*opps sorry Beasty didn't see your post*

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

But Al Gore doesn't practice what he preaches. (none of the fervent global warming alarmists do). How come?
    And he's now worth $900 million...how'd that happen?

6. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Go! Let us know when you are safe.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    In the stress of it all, lists help.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Will do, thanks

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol did you just read Bliss post? I just got done saying what? Lmao. Soon as I finish my last degree, I'm outta here. Time to be on the opposite side of the Atlantic than the Looney tunes.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Lol..lm not a loon, l'm observant.
    I want to know how Gore amassed almost a billion dollars peddling global warming? And when we were hit with cold winters, they "conveniently' changed up the name.
    Why does Gore fly in his private jet and own a massive mansion if he really, really, really believes the planet is heating up and melting?

If he was really concerned about contributing to the warming of the planet, he could fly first class in a jet along with 500 other people going in the same direction. He tells us to carpool, but he doesn't.

He could live in a normal sized home that was sufficient to house his family without having endless rooms that use up electricity, Air Conditioning, Heating and water-hogging landscaping.

He was finally shamed into making energy upgrades to his home once the spotlight lasered in on him after his movie. However, the fact remains, he still private jets and power-boats and uses 20 times more energy than the average American.
    His carbon footprint as one man is enormous.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Did you forget the earthquakes in Europe? The. Mudslides, earthquakes wildfires and tsunsmis on the other side of the Indian Ocean? Where are you going? Lol..

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

A reasonable amount of risk is just fine. If I was overly concerned about natural disasters I would be in Nebraska. No thanks.

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yep be concerned about the habits of one man. Because somehow thats rational.

15. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/gorehome.asp

Additionally, global warming refers to the change in the average temperature of the entire planet, which has been steadily increasing for the past century. Nobody ever claimed that all of the seasons would end and that we'd be trapped into a world of perpetual summer. The generally accepted theory is that climate change will lead to much extreme weather events in all seasons, and that's exactly what's been happening for the past several years.

I can give you dozens of articles just from this summer record low sea ice and glacial retreat all over the planet, record heatwaves in Europe and Southeast Asia and abnormal rain fall in Great Lakes region, but since you're on that #fakenews tip, why bother?

16. andreboba

LOL. Al Gore isn't worth a third of that amount.smh. Killing the messenger doesn't make the message any less important.

You remind me of folks who try to discredit MLK because it was discovered the FBI had surveillance on him proving he had multiple affairs while married to Coretta Scott.

The science is the science. Take the partisan personalities out of it. Notice Al Gore never discusses the urgency of addressing climate change in terms of liberals or conservatives.
    Because science isn't political. Or at least it didn't used to be.

17. andreboba

The Pentagon disagrees vehemently with you, as does the entire industrialized world.

When you get a chance you should do some research on climate change, look at the numbers scientists are looking at, then re-evaluate your position.

Yeah Houston has always had problems with flooding because the city is built on flood plane. But Houston has NEVER had FIVE FEET of RAIN in a week.

Hurricane Irma is the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic. That means for at least the last 70 years, we've never seen a hurricane this strong, either approaching Europe or the Americas. Now, you can rationalize this observation and tell yourself there were probably stronger hurricanes hundreds or thousands of years before man could record their strength, however what will you say if we have 2 or 3 more CAT 5 hurricanes this year??

What does it mean if typical hurricane seasons in the near future mean 'rare' CAT 5 hurricanes become the norm??

This isn't a typical weather cycle we're experiencing.

It's funny, conservatives believe man is capable of producing suffocating smog and air pollution from gas emissions, believe that natural gas fracking is responsible for all the unprecedented earthquakes in Oklahoma, believe that overmining in mountainous regions is responsible for massive landslides, believe that a nuclear missile exchange between countries would create enough fallout and airborne debris to plunge the PLANET into a global winter, yet for some reason don't believe that 6 BILLION people on the planet polluting the environment with trillions of gallons of CO2 can affect the environment.

Even if you don't believe the science, which no offense, sounds crazy at this point, and you think this is a normal warming cycle, why would you be in support of making a bad situation worse??

Why pour gasoline on your house when it's already burning down??

For someone so open to believing in conspiracy theories, it's strange to me you can write off global warming so quickly when legitimate researchers, climatologists, meteorologists, the military and government forecasters worldwide all say climate change is real and man is the main contributor.

The thing about climate change is we as a species have a short window to change our behaviors and lifestyles. Many believe we've already passed that window. Once cities like Boston, NYC, D.C. South Florida, etc, are under water, it's a wrap.
    We don't get a do-over. Those waters won't magically recede.

You should ask yourself, why is big oil the main opponent of global warming science??

Remember when cigarette companies used to tell us smoking didn't cause cancer??

Corporations don't care about people's health, or the survival of our species. They are profit driven and amoral.
    Trusting big oil on climate science is like trusting a pedophile to teach at an elementary school.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's the whole point of being a conspiracy theorist. It's always challenging the "establishment" narrative no matter how much evidence there is for or against a particular idea.

It's not about logic, evidence or common sense. They're just against being told what the way of the world is by the "elitist" intellectuals whom they despise.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I'm not discussing fake news, this hypocrisy is actual news.
    There was nothing Snopes said that isn't what l said. Up until his movie when he was called out, did he then decide to upgrade...which l noted..
    "He was finally shamed into making energy upgrades to his home once the spotlight lasered in on him after his movie. However, the fact remains, he still private jets and power-boats and uses 20 times more energy than the average American..."
    Now l remember Earth day in the 90's so he had no excuse to reduce his footprint.
    Al Gore also defends his enormous house by saying it doubles as his office. Really? 22 rooms? Does he need a room for the printer and another one for the computer?
    He also said he now buys some renewable electricity to offset his huge usage. Look, whether 12 times more or 20 times more, that's still a huge number by any household standards.

But none of that accounts for his excessive water use, the private jet use, the limousine use - why does he need limos to drive in?...lf you're going to tell everyone else do as l say, then you better do the same.

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Per these points.. On the surface, they're reasonable because we see it for ourselves in comparable record-keeping.. However when you put it in the context of this planet's age, we haven't been record-keeping as long as the planet has been alive.
    When l visit Santorini, l actually lay on volcanic ash when at the beach. The Minoan eruption and resulting tsunami and earthquake in Crete didn't occur because humanity in the Bronza Age emitted excessive CO2 or CFC's, or Methane (though l do think excessive methane is a problem now due to factory farming.)

The point l'm making here is the planet has always had extreme weather fluctuations and l don't think 100 years of industrialization has caused the weather volatility, like a hurricane. Look at the regular pattern of hurricane season in the US and Caribbean since record keeping...Heaviest from August to November.
    What's different? It's September.

Now understand, l'm not disputing that we dont pollute the planet - we do and to an alarming level - however there remains too many variants in weather patterns for it to be blamed on just 100 years of human activity.

And assuming you are correct, the belief is electricity, coal oil and gas burning and transportation is the cause of greenhouse emissions. Then why are we steering to greater electricity consumption, more cars more oil ....if the earth's temperature has increased by 1%, then couldn't you also say overpopulation has contributed to that? What's the solution?