Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'In the News' started by DudeNY12, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I read his initial tweet. Not only did he lie and say his church with "inaccessible. due to flooding" he posted photos of a previous flooding.

People however, went and checked and uploaded videos and photos to show that there was no flooding anywhere. They even went up his high above ground entrance steps to show the carpeting was dry.
    See for yourself.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4833836/Joel-Osteen-s-church-says-welcome-flood-victims.html

He then said the church was never closed .
    Then he said, well he wasn't asked to open the church,
    Then hen he said, well when the other shelters are full you can come to ours..o_O

He also blocked anyone on Twitter that asked him "Will you open your doors?" "Why won't you open your doors?"

. No question this man was shamed into action. He has also the nerve to now put up a link where you can make monetary donations to help him help others.

In contrast, the First Baptist Church in Houston opened their doors Sunday night.

I read that some Mosques have opened their doors, but I've also read that Synagogues have not. Can not confirm.

In the end when the chips fall, people will know who with means came to the rescue, and who didn't.

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Thanks Bliss for the info.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Shotgun-wielding ‘former law enforcement officer’ protects Houston store from looters during Harvey crisis

[​IMG]

A man claiming to be a former SWAT deputy has been filmed warning a potential looter that he's not afraid to shoot him in flood-hit Houston.

Armed with a shotgun, he warned anyone who approached a Little York Food Mart store.

In footage which has since gone viral, the vigilante is seen telling one man: 'Hey, don’t you go back in that store! I’m telling you one time. I’m not scared to shoot you.'

His threats appear to work, as looters are seen running away from the scene.

And another potential looter is warned: 'I will cut your a** in half. Don’t go in that store no goddamn more!'

[​IMG]

The voice of the woman who filmed him is heard praising his actions.

She said: 'They're looting the stores and this man out here is trying to literally protect the community.'

Explaining what he was doing, the man said he was 'protecting the community where I live'.

Video

He continued: 'I grew up in this area, I’m a former law enforcement officer, so I understand what the law says. If you’re looting, you’re stealing.'

And the man said Houston needs 'real men to step up and protect where you live'.

He was also filmed stating that looters should use their energy to rescue people, not to steal.

<3

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  4. K

K Well-Known Member

Amazing.

I know they were showing that some furniture place (I believe right across from his huge "church"??) was open and accepting people while they couldn't get into his place too.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Saw a lovely comment. .

"I am from Houston. My sister lost her home in the flooding and was rescued by a stranger in an air boat. It is unrealistic to expect any government to come into a vast area at a moments notice and conduct an effective rescue.

When the County Judge in Houston put out the call for anyone with a truck or small boat to come and help, no-one could have expected the result. We are so very thankful to our brothers in Houston, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Missouri, New York City, and from all over the US who came with trucks and boat to help rescue people and pets. It is extremely touching. There is no way that the military could have done that so quickly.

We have to remember that the government is us. We need to take action when action is needed and when our officials call for our help. There will be many lessons to learn. But jumping in to help one another is the biggest lesson".

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

There are 14,000 National Guard troops deployed in Texas with another 10,000 called up on Wednesday by the Governor...

[​IMG] Awww...hugs baby girl. <3

[​IMG]
    Our weak and vulnerable being taken care of. Thank you sooo much!

[​IMG]
    Awww, look at this adorable bub.
    All safe now, little prince..<3

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

That was the local Mattress Man. Not sure if he is near there.

By contrast...this selfless Pastor was trying to assist victims as early as Sunday morning.. ****************

Houston pastor checks submerged cars to make sure no one is trapped
    Aug 28, 2017 5:45 PM EDT

Houston resident Brian Roberson captured this photo of a good Samaritan pastor checking vehicles in flooded freeway.

[​IMG]

Brian Roberson was taking a walk around his Houston neighborhood to assess damage from Tropical Storm Harvey Sunday morning when he spotted a middle-aged man entering chest-deep water on Texas State Highway 288.

The man was slowly making his way toward two SUV's submerged in water about 30 yards away as men standing on a patch of grass nearby watched.

They yelled for him not to go any farther. "There's no point in risking it," they said.

But the man was adamant, and continued to move forward.

"He wanted to get out there to make sure those cars were empty,"
    Roberson told CBS News. "It was so powerful to see firsthand."

[​IMG]

The man continued deep into the water, knocked on car windows one by one and checked inside.

At one point, he climbed on top of a black SUV with tinted windows to get a better look, shouting to see if anyone was trapped inside. Fortunately, no one was.

"He didn't have to do that. It's just an amazing thing to see," Roberson said. "That just speaks to the power of Houstonians and Texans. We're here for each other."

The man checked at least five vehicles stranded in the middle of the flooded freeway.

"I'm not coming back until I check them twice," he yelled to onlookers.

Roberson ran back to his car to grab a rope, ready to throw it to the man and pull him back in as soon as he was finished.

[​IMG]
    Brian Roberson Photos

As the man exited the water, Roberson walked up to thank him for his courageous act.

The man, who said he's a pastor in the south-central Houston area, told Roberson he was just doing what he thought was right. Since church was canceled, he decided to go out and help those in need.

"To see someone that's up there — 30 years or so older than me — with that dedication, that risk, that was something," Roberson said.

Roberson never got the man's name, but he posted the incredible images of the man's rescue efforts on Facebook.

The image quickly made the rounds on social media, and has since been shared thousands of times.

"People in Houston are looking for him. Individuals as far as New Orleans and Florida are hoping to identify the man to make a donation to his church," Roberson said. "Someone said they would drive seven hours just to visit."

Roberson hopes someone is able to identify the pastor so he can give him a proper 'thank you.'

"I'm sure so many people are trying to keep up more with the storm that they don't care to break down who he is," Roberson said. "But he's a hero nonetheless."

© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

9. jaylon

jaylon Member

global warming...

climate change...

10. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  11. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Trump offers $1M for Houston yet $5M for Obama's birth certificate

Draw your own conclusions

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Colibreh, check this out, that wasn't the Chick-fil-A manager's husband. (He had a boat who came a bit after and collected their essential belongings)
    This guy here and another guy were riding around on their Jetski's looking to rescue people. No one asked them(him), they just delivered! <3

14. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

15. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Trump isn't going to donate shit unless he's pressured into it. This is a scam that he used to run all of the time when he was private citizen. He'd announce that he was donating money to some cause to get the publicity and then never follow through. Back then, then media didn't care about checking up on him. Now, the fucker doesn't understand that he is going to be held accountable for his pathological lying, especially if he keeps insulting the the press.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-hurricane-harvey-donation-no-way-658367

Dude has donated a fraction of the money that he claims that he has over the years, and most of the funds in his charity's coffers come from other people's money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b0774c1eaa5_story.html?utm_term=.7989ea531e41

He got caught trying to pocket the money that he claimed that he was raising for veterans, and he only paid it out when the veterans groups started talking in the media.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/donald-trump-veterans-1.3608808

There's no evidence that he's donated his salary:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.d401b15ae51e

He even lied about donating to the Sandy relief effort.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...ift-hurricane-sandy-charity-article-1.2716184

...and what the fuck does a $1 million donation (assuming that its real) matter when his party is proposing to cut a BILLION dollars out of FEMAs budget in the next fiscal year?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...border-wall/VSf07WfdiwyhOFOoOKZ7pL/story.html

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yes there is.

In his first pay quarter in April, he was cut a $78,000 paycheck from the Treasury which he then handed over to the Park Services..

President Trump made good Monday on his promise not to accept his $400,000 presidential salary, handing over his first three months of pay to the National Park Service

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then for his second quarter, in July, he gave $100,000 to the DOE.

(CNN)President Donald Trump donated the second quarter of his salary to the Department of Education, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said Wednesday....

[​IMG]

17. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Both hoaxes, obviously.

18. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member