Historians rank Obama 12th greatest President Ever.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by glt1980, Feb 18, 2017.

1. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/all-time-best-president-united-states-rankings-235149

A C-Span survey seen here: http://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015a-4d99-d5b6-a35f-ffff4eae0001

Ranks the presidents in ten categories ranging from public persuasion to performance within the context of time.

Obama received high marks from presidential historians for his pursuit of "equal justice for all" and for his commanding "moral authority," ranking third and seventh among all former presidents in each respective category. The 44th president also cracked a top 10 ranking for his "economic management" and public persuasion.

The former president's tenure earned its lowest marks for the relationship between the presidency and Congress, with bitter partisanship often stagnating the effectiveness between the two and Obama seeing his Democratic majority slip in both the House of Representatives and the Senate during his eight years in office.

This is the first time they have done this ranking since 2009(see as it ranks ex president there was no need to do a new one before this year) and only the third time overall. In the time since the last poll Obama's predecessor actually saw his position rise a couple of spots from 36th to 33rd.

Here are the full rankings:

1. Abraham Lincoln
    2. George Washington
    3. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
    4. Teddy Roosevelt
    5. Dwight Eisenhower
    6. Harry Truman
    7. Thomas Jefferson
    8. John F. Kennedy
    9. Ronald Reagan
    10. Lyndon Johnson
    11. Woodrow Wilson
    12. Barack Obama
    13. James Monroe
    14. James Polk
    15. Bill Clinton
    16. William McKinley
    17. James Madison
    18. Andrew Jackson
    19. John Adams
    20. George H.W. Bush
    21. John Q. Adams
    22. Ulysses Grant
    23. Grover Cleveland
    24. William Taft
    25. Gerald Ford
    26. Jimmy Carter
    27. Calvin Coolidge
    28. Richard Nixon
    29. James Garfield
    30. Benjamin Harrison
    31. Zachary Taylor
    32. Rutherford Hayes
    33. George W. Bush
    34. Martin Van Buren
    35. Chester Arthur
    36. Herbert Hoover
    37. Millard Fillmore
    38. William Harrison
    39. John Tyler
    40. Warren Harding
    41. Franklin Pierce
    42. Andrew Johnson
    43. James Buchanan

2. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

This list should be based on hand size and bigly-ness. Biased historians should be ashamed of their fake rankings. Sad!

3. MightyLighty

MightyLighty Well-Known Member

Can anyone really argue with his placement? He was weak on areas like the black community.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

A friend of mine whom happens to be very critical of Barack Obama stated that Obama's foreign policy legacy is atrocious. And his not doing enough for the black community is also another issue.

I felt that he could have done more. But he was blocked at every turn by the republicans and some democrats because they didn't want to work with him even after he tried to reach across the aisle and share his plans.

Despite all this, he remained cool, optimistic and dignified.

Those were the qualities I saw in Obama. The man was disrespected ever since being sworn in.

Barack Obama was not perfect.

None of these presidents were.

President Trump is not immune to what he will likely face in the future during his first term in office.

5. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

How is William Harrison not last? He was only in office a month. Those dudes bellow him must have really sucked.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Republicans kill me with their praise of Reagan. No way he is in the top 10.

7. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

It's one of those situations where if they say it enough over the years, one generation will be far enough removed to forget how crappy he was.

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Are you aware of the programs he advanced specifically to aid Black people?

9. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

And Bingo was his name-o

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Ranking him based on how well he got along with Congress is bullshit. Exactly how could he have fixed that if they were dead set on being against because he's black. Guess he should have chosen 100% whiteness

11. MightyLighty

Like what? "My Brothers Keeper"? Please, that ain't shiit!!!!

He talked down to the black community at almost every chance he got.

12. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Obama is the only POTUS I know who toured U.S. prisons and had sit downs with many inmates. This idea that Obama was going to sign legislation that specifically benefited ONLY Black people is crazy.

BHO supported legislation and policies that impacted the lives of the economically disadvantaged, under-educated and tried to reform sentencing in the criminal justice system.

Read between the lines: stuff to help Black folk.

I do think Obama could have been more active in making places like Chicago more a part of his active agenda, but realistically what could he do?
    Send in the National Guard and occupy Black inner city neighborhoods??

13. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

National guards can not help that situation at all

14. MightyLighty

• Remove that racist white supremacist's name from the FBI HQ
    • Promoted reparations as a viable starting point
    • support legislation that help blacks directly, like business, entrepreneurship (policies specific too blacks would close gap unlike Stimulus package) etc
    • Use his bullypulpit to put pressure on local police departments
    Amongst other things

15. andreboba

J. Edgar Hoover created the FBI. How are you going to take his name off the building? Yeah Hoover was a racist, but he also sent the FBI down South to fight Southern racists in the 1960s and enforce federal law. We've got monuments to slave owners, etc., all over D.C. That's just the ugly truth of history in this country.

Not all Black folk believe we should have cash/financial reparations, besides Obama didn't run on that issue anyway.

Have you ever applied for a small business loan??? They weren't harder to get for Black entrepreneurs under Obama.

BHO did put a spotlight from the WH on all of these high profile, unarmed killings of Black men by law enforcement, something that will NOT happen under the current administration. IMO BHO used every tool at his disposal to combat illegal police shootings, but real change can only happen at the local government level. If your governor, mayor and local legislators are pro police and aren't holding them accountable, that's the problem.

BHO wasn't the perfect POTUS, but it's not like he ignored the plight of Black folk either.

16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I don't know what you mean about talking down to the Black community, but he did A LOT more than My Brothers Keeper, which was a historical initiative.

Programs to improve economic conditions for minorities: http://www.blackenterprise.com/feat...e-track-record-for-helping-african-americans/

President Obama’s JumpStart Our Business Start-up (JOBS) Act resulted in a major shift in securities laws that meant the emancipation of capital for minority and women-owned businesses, who traditionally have struggled with gaining access to capital through traditional means. More minorities and lower net worth individuals were able to get in on investments that can drive more wealth generation to their communities. Thanks to Titles II, III, and IV, a start-up can publicly raise capital, participate in equity-based crowdfunding and use online tools to find investors, as well as raise up to $50 million from both non-accredited investors and accredited investors (those making at least $200,000 a year or have a million dollar net-worth).

Under President Obama’s watch there was an emphasis on black males. In February 2014, the president introduced My Brother’s Keeper, to specifically focus on improving the lives of young African American males. The initiative encouraged nonprofits to raise $200 million in five years for programs focused on young men of color. Though My Brother’s Keeper is not a federally-funded government program, no such effort has existed before under any American president.

Awarded $1.2 Billion To Black Farmers

President Obama’s administration oversaw the $1.2 billion settlement awarded to Black farmers who have been denied loans and assistance by the Agricultural Dept. for decades.

Expanded Funding For HBCUs

In February of this year, President Obama signed an executive order increasing funding for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to $850 million over the next 10 years. The funding is being administered through the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities that was, ironically, started by the late Ronald Reagan.

And when some people trot out statistics showing that Black people are not seeing the same gains as other ethnic groups show them this article http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/15/news/economy/blacks-trump-obama/

17. MightyLighty

Lool, he care nothing for infiltrating the KKK, but put all his focus in dismantling (successfully) black organisations like the BPP, sensing black informants to disrupt the them and assassinating folks like Fred Hampton.

He tried to sabotage Marcus Garvey, Nation of Islam and MLK.

I stand by what I said, take his fucking name of that building.

Who said reparations would just be financial?

You didn't address his perchance for talking down to the black community.

18. andreboba

Every time I heard Obama speak, I didn't hear someone talking down to the Black community.
    Do you have a specific incident, or is this just a general feeling you have about BHO???

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  19. MightyLighty

20. andreboba

But today, more than 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, more than 50 years after the end of "separate but equal," when it comes to getting an education, too many of our young people just can't be bothered. Today, instead of walking miles every day to school, they're sitting on couches for hours playing video games, watching TV. Instead of dreaming of being a teacher or a lawyer or a business leader, they're fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper.

For a lot of young boys and young men in particular, they don't see an example of fathers or grandfathers, uncles, who are in a position to support families and be held up in respect. And so that means that this is not just a gun issue; it's also an issue of the kinds of communities that we're building. When a child opens fire on another child, there is a hole in that child's heart that government can't fill. Only community and parents and teachers and clergy can fill that hole.

These are to excepts I lifted from the Atlantic article from Obama's Morehouse speech. If anyone found this to be scolding or condescending, I'm sorry but your Black ass is just SOFT.

There's a segment of the Black community that's in crisis and becoming a permanent underclass in this country, and the only ones who can really solve the endemic problems in our community is us.

And that starts with the family.

Black men and women who really achieve in this life do so because someone was riding their ass ALL THE TIME when they were growing up and didn't let them slip. That means a parent/parental figure who wasn't out at the clubs all the time, knew who their child's teachers were on a first and last name basis, always saw their report cards, and weren't in and out of jail.

This is real talk for a real crisis in our community.

I remember being cussed out by uncles growing up for bullshitting in school. Accountability starts at HOME. Not the government or some special federal program.
    Even if you're a young Black HS student going to a shitty school, if you apply yourself and graduate top 5-10%, you are going to earn a scholarship to go to most universities in the country.

Maybe it's a generational thing and young people today don't like to be called out on their shit, but how the hell do you think Michelle Obama made it Princeton and Harvard Law, or Obama got through Columbia and Harvard Law???
    It wasn't just smarts. It was discipline and perseverance and long term goal setting.

When I read that some Black op-ed writers were offended when BHO said we need to aspire to be more than pro athletes and rappers, the only thing I can do is shake my head.