H&M apologizes for using black child to sell 'coolest monkey' hoodie

Discussion in 'In the News' started by darkcurry, Jan 9, 2018.

1. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Strange choice of videos to post to show 'differing' opinions about the H&M controversy, considering both were parodies and not serious commentary.
    What difference does it make if the little boy picked the hoodie to wear?? Which I doubt happened, unless the mother confirmed it.

The hoodie was inappropriate and racially insensitive for the American market and parts of Europe, end of story.

Someone in the H&M marketing department with some common sense should have taken a step back and realized that wasn't the look they were going for.

I feel sorry for that little boy, since his mother is basically prostituting him for a buck.
    Shit, all she had to say is, I don't want my son wearing THAT hoodie, and there's no story.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

Not surprised that Bliss is running interference for this blatant racism.

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

But they're getting money so they can just stick their heads in the sand and just pretend they are above it all. That money will last forever and a day for them since they clearly are "exceptional" black folks obviously....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Hahaha you never know, anything can set women off these days

5. RicardoCooper

Gee what a shock

6. flaminghetero

Those right-wingers don't believe racism exists...for Black people....

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

They say that the mom is cool with it. I'll post an article from I think it was Atlanta Black star if you want.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

WWDD

What would dotard do. Right wing religion.

9. RicardoCooper

I remember seeing a Target ad years back where they had a black child wearing a Paul Frank tee shirt with the monkey face logo on it. Tried to Google the photo but they scrubbed that shit off the net it seems

Whitey knows exactly what he's doing

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. RicardoCooper

I like my deep V t-shirts too much sorry lol

11. flaminghetero

The child's bootlicking mammy is telling people to get over it.

12. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

As I have said the meaning and knowledge of racism and racial superiority & inferiority has been suppressed in many people's minds. Very few people actually know what they are, which is why you get people that can defend it. Most people don't know a lot of the historical roles played in racial superiority like Bacon's Rebellion

https://www.facinghistory.org/holocaust-and-human-behavior/chapter-2/inventing-black-and-white

After Bacon’s Rebellion, Virginia’s lawmakers began to make legal distinctions between “white” and “black” inhabitants. By permanently enslaving Virginians of African descent and giving poor white indentured servants and farmers some new rights and status, they hoped to separate the two groups and make it less likely that they would unite again in rebellion.

Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty - Ralph Waldo Emerson

When those in power are in fear they are capable of the most cruelest things.

A lot of people often have this suppressed meaning of racism in their minds, one of the reasons is because before it was called racism by Leon Trotsky it was called... normal.
    So as much of it's disappointing, unfortunately unless they hear a racial slur or you are apart of the KKK or some Nazi group many people just won't believe people can be racist outside of those things.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

You can use H&M even if I don't. :p

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

An FYI, When l googled his mother's response, those two came up as the top search, featured above anything else. 30,000 views for one alone is likely why.

"Strange choice"?
    Why didn't you also comment, "strange" about the model monkey suit pics chosen earlier, since these.2 videos were added in reference to that particular theme showing the thought patterns of some others. Please put your gun away, okay, AB? I made MY OWN THOUGHTS CLEAR on page one that l felt it was out of line. There ARE people who disagree with us, however.

Him picking out the shirt should tell you that kids are not racist by nature. When kids see a monkey, they take to it. It's why theyre so popular in every culture.
    We call playground bars, "monkey bars"; playing is called monkeying around, 'monkey see, monkey do'; The Three Wise Monkeys; kids love wearing monkeysuits etc.
    Monkey is not racist. American adults made it so. Those spouting it and those rejecting it.
    Children sees monkeys in the jungle, in cartoons and movies and love them. That's understandable. Theyre freakin cute! <3

At the end of the day, the kid in the ad is gorgeous. He looks adorable. The shirt-expression in and of itself, is cute.
    So it's clear, this shirt is adorable and available for any other child, excluding black children.Black children are not to ever wear it.
    Because unfortunately, it is considered racist in the U.S.A, and if he wore it here, this child would likely be slapped and assaulted by grown adults, called names, or told to take it off.
    Sad, no matter how you look at it.

15. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Monkey is used as as racial insult to blacks all over the world. It's not a US exclusive thing.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I agree with you in a scattered sense, but not like it is here.
    A black child in Sweden or Netherlands l think could live their life for many years and not be aware. In America, no way that happens.

I'm curious now how Africa as a Continent or even some of its countries views monkeys (ie: if it's a part of their culture, etc..and if so, whether negative or positve)

*How is it viewed when you stayed in Japan?

17. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

The term derived from so called racial theorist, not sure if it was an american or european, but it was used as an example in describing the differences between black people and white people. Pretty much saying we are sub-humans.

18. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

A child his age, I'm sure many wouldn't know. Even I didn't really know monkey was used to describe us until close to high school. At least that's when I started paying attention. The mother should've been aware of this though as she is grown.

There was an incident a couple years ago at a soccer match in Europe somewhere hosting Brazil where the black player. The crowd made monkey chants(a common occurrence) every time he was on the field, breaking him down and forcing him to leave the game crying. There's been games where bananas are thrown at black players and these occurrences have been criticized by many in the soccer leagues but has also been largely ignored. FIFA's anti racism task force was disbanded recently because they felt racism was no longer an issue in soccer. And that's just in soccer where drunk savages can show their asses off in a group in the comfort of their own country.

I've been called monkey(also chango in Spanish) by non Americans a few times.

As far as Japan, I didn't have any issues but i interacted with mostly military Japanese as well. Thailand I didn't but they definitely have a certain image of black people. They sell African style dolls that wouldn't definitely be racist out here by how they are designed. It's looks like something out of a 1940s cartoon. Asians are also a little more subtle in their racism.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Right..the soccer games. Your'e right. Those vile pigs, I would hope and think though that they don't reflect or represent Europeans. I do know many fans present were appalled at the group of hooligans who did those acts, in fact many pointed out who they were.
    Having been to football games I've heard the n word here and there from within the crowd and it's sickened me.
    Having also been to Euro and Brazil team soccer games in the U.S, l see lots of fan unity, racially. Especially South American teams, etc. Culturally they bond, it's not based by skin color.

As for the mom, since she was raised in Kenya and resides in Sweden, there is a slight possibility she was not aware of the ramifications, especially because the shoot had nothing to do with America. IDK, we don't know. That's the only reason l would now consider giving her the benefit of the doubt.

I think that sometimes, other cultures are ignorant to other cultures expectations, perceptions and histories.

20. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Isn't Sweden one of those countries that still does that "Black Pete" bullshit during Christmas?