Gunman opens fire in NorCal Elementary School; at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'In the News' started by ColiBreh1, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

2. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Another shooting. Children wounded. People dead.

It is sad that even children in a school are not protected. It's Newtown all over again.

And once again, the politicians will be admonished by the pro gun lobby to stand up for them or risk losing support in future political ventures and policies.

Thoughts and prayers will not be enough.

As I understand it, the State of California has some strict rules for guns , especially in the area of capacities for handguns, rifles and shotguns.10 rounds is the limit in California. Whatever the shooter was using, it had to be either multiple firearms or a high-capacity magazine.

What was the shooter's motivation for this attack? Only the shooter and God knows.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

He was arrested and in jail. For stabbing a woman.
    A Cali judge gave him bond.
    He got out and went on his rampage.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Now how long before the conspiracy nuts claim that this was staged by liberals so they can create momentum to limit the second amendment, just like Sandy Hook.

5. K

K Well-Known Member

It's amazing how desensitized people have become. They didn't even break into programming here....in Northern California.

6. K

K Well-Known Member

The school was only one spot. 10 people were taken to the hospital. No children among the dead. 2 kids wounded. Shooting began in a home, then he took a vehicle and went on shooting rampage in the community. 7 different scenes being investigated right now. News conference is going to start soon.

7. K

K Well-Known Member

One guy distracted the guy when he was shooting into the school...he yelled at him to shoot his way instead of at the school, and he did - grazed that guy on the arm. The guy knew who the shooter was when he saw his face. Turns out shooter killed that guys best friend who was a neighbor of the shooter (this is a very small community....very rural....everyone knows each other there) They said the friend that was killed had reported that the shooter had shot off rounds many times outside before.

8. K

K Well-Known Member

He rammed the school gate and went in with a semi-auto with multi round clip wearing a jacket with more clips embedded. He tried to actually get into the classrooms (on foot) but the staff had gone into lockdown and all the rooms were locked, after some of them had heard shooting nearby. He did shoot at a number of classrooms but didn't enter them. One child was shot in the school and injured (not killed). The only rooms that were not locked were bathrooms, he did enter them but no one was in them. They said there was some ongoing dispute with the guy but they aren't going to comment further on that right now.

He was driving up and down streets shooting at random passerbys and homes. He has prior arrests, they didn't know if he has prior jail time. There are restraining orders from a dispute in Jan but they didn't know the specifics (Asst Sheriff was speaking)

9. K

K Well-Known Member

Thank goodness the school staff went into lockdown on their own....it would have been so much worse!

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

A major shooting every week....I cant even.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Fortunately, no child in the school was killed. He attempted to get into the school but couldn't penetrate the locked doors. He shot through a window and injured one child .Then he left and took to the roads to shoot people. So another school carnage was definitely averted.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

That is good. What was his motive for this rampage?

13. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

To me it's ridiculous anyone could take measures like this seriously as supposed deterrent or damage limitation.
    It reeks of pandering to voters at the expense of doing what's right.
    Of "negotiated compromise". Everyone goes away happy because nobody wins, but in fact everyone loses.
    Its wilful myopia on a scale I can't even begin to comprehend. Horse-trading and rolling the dice with innocent lives.
    When will America realise that the days of ordinary citizens being justified in owning guns are simply over, and have been for decades.
    There's just no need for it any more. The world has moved on. Time to get with the programme.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The United States of America was built by the gun. Because of the longtime history with the gun, from the Revolutionary War to today; along with paranoia and fear, both imagined and real, the public needed security because of the probability of the police not being available like it was during the times of the Old West when having a gun was necessary to protect lives and property. The 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution gives every citizen the right to keep and bare arms. But at the time of its drafting, the guns had limited capacities and were used by farmers, homesteaders and returning soldiers from wars.

The fascination with the gun was brought on by film and news stories. Guns back then were cheap. A gun in the Old West was under fifty dollars. Guns like the Colt 1911 .45 caliber pistol could not be sold to civilians at the time. A 1928 Thompson machine gun could be bought from a catalog. The government stepped in and put a restriction on automatic weapons. Hollywood films like westerns, war, crime and gangster films showed the lethal capabilities of the guns featured. And the interested public wanted more.

That interest, along with the fear and paranoia of changing social and political landscapes continues to grow.

The firearms industry profited handsomely from it.

In 1983, I recall a news story out of London about a shooting that wounded an officer with the London Metropolitan Police. The officer was interviewed and he was shown loading a revolver and strapping to his uniform. Since the incident, about eleven percent of the officers in the London Metropolitan Police carried a handgun.
    Right now the percentage changed. Armed Tactical Units are established and ready for any event should they occur. The rest of the officers and investigators on the Met are trained in firearms but do not use them. They are well trained in non-lethal defense tactics.

If you had this conversation with a gun owner, that person will tell you a whole lot of reasons why he or she should be allowed to own a gun. And that they can own any gun they want.

As long as people are afraid, a gun brings peace of mind.

As long as it is in the U.S. Constitution, the right to keep and bare arms is set in stone.
    Nothing will ever change it. Not even tragedies like mass shootings.

For me, personally, I need to protect myself because I,like everyone else, has the right to self defense. I don't need a vast arsenal like other people, but I can work with only the gun I can handle with confidence. I don't need to be John J. Rambo.

In these uncertain times, one has to careful because evil and misfortune are everywhere and is unpredictable.

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

This is what's being reported..

The shooting appears to have come after a long period of instability from Neal, including stabbing one of his neighbors.

Tehama County District Attorney Gregg Cohen told ChicoER that on January 31, a long-standing dispute between Neal and two female neighbors came to a head when he shot at them and attacked one with a knife.

He reportedly then jumped the fence, stabbed one of them and stole the other's cellphone.

Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston told Fox News that one of the victims was the woman he shot in January, although it's not clear if she was fatally wounded.

Police are still working out the exact motive for the shooting.

After the January attack, Neal was arrested and charged with second-degree burglary, assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of false imprisonment by violence, discharge of a firearm with gross negligence, possession of an assault weapon and misdemeanor battery.

Bail was set at $160,000; he was due to go to trial in January 2018.

Court documents say he had an AR-15 Bushmaster rifle - which has been used in multiple mass shootings - although it's not yet known if it was used in Tuesday's shooting.

Neal's family says he had a violent temper and had no business owning firearms.

Kevin Neal's sister told The Associated Press she believes her brother was addicted to drugs.

Sheridan Orr said she had not talked to her brother in months and was appalled when she heard about the shooting...

Neal's neighbors said they had been complaining for weeks about the gunman, who lived on the street, firing his gun late at night and early in the morning.

But on Tuesday morning the nuisance turned deadly when Neal fired at several people, killing one man in his driveway...

[​IMG]

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well like I always say I'll put my gun down when the criminals do. Do you think as a woman I like having a gun in order to equalize a dangerous situation against me?

In most cities where open-carry guns are banned or strictly monitored, their crime rate surpasses those where guns are legal to almost all, to carry. Can you explain that?

17. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Such a difficult issue, and you can find credible studies to support your claim above that open carry states are up to 23% safer in terms of fewer crimes, and then you can find credible studies per below that looked at whether right-to-carry laws affected crime rates and they came to the opposite conclusion, that they really had no effect.

http://media.law.stanford.edu/publications/archive/pdf/ssrn-id1632599.pdf

18. K

K Well-Known Member

His wife was found dead under the floor boards - there are now 5 dead plus the shooter. 14 people injured, 7 are children.

They are expecting to find more victims. They are saying that some of the shooters relatives that should be home have not been able to be located.

19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The Bushmaster AR-15 is sold at Walmart. My store doesn't sell firearms but we do sell BB guns,ammunition, cleaning kits, range bags, targets, hearing protection and shooting goggles. I heard a customer tell me a joke about California.
    "How many Californians does it take to screw in a lightbulb? One hundred. One to screw in the lightbulb and 99 to "share in the experience."

He was ex-military. Funny guy.

This man should've been banned from owning a firearm. He should've had counseling.

A bad temper. Attacking neighbors. Trouble.
    The bail is too generous.

20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

And now, the discovery that he killed his wife. I will not be surprised if he tries to plead insanity. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if his rampage inspires other maladjusted individuals to do that same reprehensible action.