Great conversation here!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Paniro188, May 10, 2018.

1. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Sorry, but conservatives don't get to claim Malcolm X.
    Or MLK.

2. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't I, your every post is about your politics.

You're not that deep.

Anyway.

3. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

Hopefully the wake up keeps happening. Not necessarily with black folks wake up to becoming conservative but just wake up to expect more from whatever party we choose to be part of.

4. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I can agree with the bolded section 100%.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

At this point any moderate will do. I'm tired of bad ideas and extremism. America is still a good country overall, no reason for half of the bullshit people push these days. We just need someone in office that we can allow to solve problems. Someone that knows how to get shit done and sit the fuck down when its completed.

7. orejon4

I'm not so sure about the inherent goodness of the nation. It still refuses to grapple with the twin injustices of its founding: theft of a continent from a people and theft of another people's labor. The good thing about the nation is that it is at least capable of change, based on the idea that it built on a creed, not an ethnic group and their history. The trouble is getting the citizens of the country to accept that and aspire to live up to it.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Just like half of Europe. Their wealth was founded on theft and slavery of Africans. Until they fork out cash and pay African countries for the pain they caused, reparations isn't much of a barometer to judge America on.

I don't think America is inherently good, but a good place to be overall.

9. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Is there any country, any people, any human being inherently good?

Different countries offer different lifestyles, it’s just a matter of what works for the individual.
    (Then of course there are the completely screwed up ones that work for no one, let’s leave them asidto for now...)

10. Madeleine

Why don’t you go back to the other thread and let me know how shrinking government increases equality of opportunity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

Nah I'm good. You like big government I like small government......we won't find common ground.

12. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

For me it's about staying away from the authoritarians on the right and the left.

13. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

14. Madeleine

Where did I say that I like big government?
    The point is that shrinking government in order to equalise opportunity doesn’t work and the fact that you can’t explain it to me just underlines it.
    If you say you support shrinking government then you want the rich and powerful to run the economy.
    Equalising opportunities means creating the kind of circumstances that will enable people who wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity to start a business/get an education/get a certain job. Creating those circumstances means the government puts rules in place that have the desired effect. Which you don’t want so you don’t support for the government to create equal opportunities.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  15. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

You win. Does that work for you?

16. Madeleine

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. orejon4

A lot of European countries didn't have any power of influence during that period to project their power internationally. We're really talking about a handful of countries like England, France, Spain, Portugal and Belgium for the most part, but I was just focusing on the US specifically because of the conversation.

18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Only an idiot of the highest degree would be influenced by ANYTHING Kanye says.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That's a large portion of Europe geographically. Germany had colonies too. Thats most of the countries that are worth living in today.

If the US isn't a good country to be, you have to ask yourself which country is. Just like if you said the culture in the US is toxic, the listener will want to know what is considered a good culture.

Europe is the only other place I've considered living.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I agree. Just saying if you judge America by how it was created, you have to judge other countries that participated in the same crimes to become rich.

You have to judge other countries with the same barometer. Most of the countries that are worth living in today are guilty of the same crimes.