Good Deeds & Random Acts of Kindness <3

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Every now and then, my faith in humanity gets restored...:smt060

[​IMG]

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...ier-becomes-internet-sensation-162557907.html

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

One girl, 89 random acts of kindness:
    Teenager's Amazing Homage to Late Great-Grandmother

[​IMG]
    She's just wonderful!

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

In honor of the Powerball Jackpot hitting $320 Million tonight..(get your tickets!)

$1 million! Three friends honor long-time pact to split lottery winnings

[​IMG]

I've always planned to help my close friends out, but never made a pact to split if I won on my own. That's very selfless. :smt023

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Left a 20 on the dresser

Just to show her i was successful

[​IMG]

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Soldier’s cat makes perilous journey from Afghanistan to Oregon...

"He pulled me out of one of my darkest times".....This cat will also get him through his darkest days that may still come..as a returning, readjusting vet. Well worth the effort! <3

...My fav quote...

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

More Than A Good Deed

A friend found this on Pinterest and forwarded the link to me. With all the fighting and insults on here in a few threads, hopefully this will bring some positivity to the forum.

This story illustrates the love of a true friend.

http://www.obitoftheday.com/post/24195064257/jacktwyman

[​IMG]

Obit of the Day: Twyman and Stokes

Jack Twyman and Maurice Stokes were connected to each other on and off the basketball court for decades. Both were from Pittsburgh, who, as high school stars, faced each other on the hardwood. In college, both players led their respective teams - Twyman with the University of Cincinnati and Stokes with St. Francis University - to the semi-finals of the 1955 National Invitation Tournament (NIT). Both teams lost to their opponents but Stokes earned the tournament MVP award.

That spring both Stokes and Twyman were drafted by the Rochester Royals (now the Sacramento Kings). Stokes went number two overall in the first round. Twyman went in the second round. During their rookie season the teammates played in every games and Stokes was named Rookie of the Year.

Stokes, an All-Star every season he played, seemed poised to become a dominant force in the NBA. Then on March 21, 1958 during the final game of their third season together, Stokes went up for a rebound against the Minneapolis Lakers and came down hard, landing on his head. He got up and walked it off. Three days later Maurice Stokes collapsed and fell into a coma. When he woke up he was completely paralyzed.

Jack Twyman knew what he needed to do. Recognizing that Stokes deserved workers’ compensation, Twyman knew that his friend had to remain in Cincinnati to receive it. So Twyman, with the approval of Stokes’ family, became his teammate’s legal guardian. For twelve years Twyman was Stokes’ guardian, friend, and advocate. He taught Stokes to communicate by blinking his eyes for each letter. He raised thousands of dollars for Stokes’ care. He pushed for Stokes’ induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame - an honor bestowed on Stokes posthumously in 2004. (Twyman, of course, gave the induction speech on behalf of his friend.)

Maurice Stokes would die on April 6, 1970 at the age of 36.

Back on the court, Jack Twyman would play for eleven NBA seasons. A six-time All-Star, Twyman became a prolific scorer. During the 1959-1960 season, Twyman averaged 31.4 points per game becoming one of two men to average more than 30 ponts a game for the first time in NBA history. The other was Wilt Chamberlain. Twyman was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1984. Jack Twyman died at the age of 78.

(Image of Twyman, right, and Stokes from 1970 is copyright of the AP and courtesy of DarianWork on photobucket.com. The caption reads: Cincinnati, April 1 - STOKES SUFFERS HEART ATTACK - Maurice Stokes, former NBA star with the Cincinnati Royals, suffered a heart attack in a local hospital and is in the intensive care ward. A hospital spokesman said: “The next seven days will determine the extent of the attack." Stokes, in 1958, was stricken was [sic] a form of encephalitis from a brain injury apparently suffered when his head struck the floor in a game in Minneapolis. He is shown with former teammate Jack Twyman, his legal guardian, who has sponsored many benefits to help defray Stokes’ hospital bills. Stokes would live for five more days.)

7. Black DeNiro

Black DeNiro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^

AWESOME stories, Ches and BD!!! :smt038

9. Black DeNiro

^^^^Thanks B.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Awww!!! Way to go Luke!!! :smt023

11. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

:smt049:smt049:smt049

12. Unique4ever

13. buglerroller

buglerroller Well-Known Member

the best one so far!

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

BD, a wonderful story!! ^^^ Unique, so true @ pic!

I posted this in Unique's Animal Awareness thread, but also wanted to give this man his due respect here... Some humans can be so incredible and selfless!

Sam Simon, 'The Simpsons' Co-Creator Dying From Cancer,
    To Donate Fortune To Charity

Love him very much for the charity he provides, and legacy he is leaving. :heart: God Bless you, Sam...

[​IMG]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...fortune_n_3659809.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  15. Unique4ever

Thanks for sharing Bliss.
    I wish there were more people like him.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Me too, Unique ^

Wonderful story...

Wendy's Customers Defend Server Against Bully,
    Get Frosties and Food

By Erika Ostroff, Shine Staff | Living Well

[​IMG]

Bullying may conjure up images of school kids ganging up on each other on the playground, but adults are guilty of partaking in the nasty practice too – on the Web, in the workplace, and even at restaurants. Luckily, some bystanders aren't looking the other way anymore.

When two NJ teens overheard a cashier getting an unfair earful from a customer, they spoke up. And it not only felt good, but tasted good, too.

On Sunday, Kailee Whiting, 19, shared her story on Reddit, writing: "Stood up for an innocent employee at Wendy's who was being bullied by a customer. She gave us free frosties and chicken nuggets." Whiting also posted a photo of the two shakes sitting atop a piece of paper that read, "You guys are AWESOME. (Hope you like vanilla.)"

"I thought it was really sweet of the cashier,” Whiting's girlfriend, 18-year-old Katie Light, told Yahoo! Shine. “It was nice to know that she was happy that we stood up for her. Karma gave us something back."

The two Rowan University students were standing in line waiting for their food at a Wendy’s restaurant in Franklin, New Jersey, when a woman in front of them started yelling at the cashier. There had been a power outage 20 minutes earlier, causing a backup in the kitchen, so things had become a bit hectic behind the counter. According to Light, the customer yelled, "If you weren’t ready to take my order, you shouldn’t have called me up!"

"We were very shocked that an older woman would even be so immature," Light explained.

Whiting, who works in retail and at a diner in Sussex County, NJ, could empathize with the cashier; she explained to the displeased woman that working in the food industry is difficult and that the cashier was doing her best.

Her words, however, weren’t so well received. The woman shoved her hand in Whiting's face and told her to "shut up and stop talking," according to Light.

"When we got our food, the cashier smiled and said, 'Here’s your chicken nuggets.' She gave us a free 16-piece chicken nuggets even though we didn’t order any. And when we were done, she came out with a tray of two Frosties just as a nice gesture … like, 'Thank you for standing up for me.'"

The couple later found out that the frustrated woman called to inform the manager that the cashier gave away two free Frosties :mad: but the manager reportedly didn't mind. :smt023

The lesson here? It never hurts to speak up, and you'll probably feel rewarded, free meal or not.

http://shine.yahoo.com/living-well/...-bully--gets-frosties-and-food-212128752.html

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Just to expound on the above story ^ ...

From same link...

And standing up to bullying has become a wider movement in recent years, with a much greater outcome than just getting some free fast food.

In 2011, 14-year-old Jonah Mowry’s YouTube video describing his despair over being bullied for being gay went viral. It has received nearly 11 million views to date and has caught the attention of celebrities like Lady Gaga and Jordin Sparks. He recently posted a follow-up clip in which he illustrates how much his life has improved thanks to the support he received because of the original video.

That same year, the Weinstein Company came out with an award-winning documentary, "Bully," that exposes teen bullying throughout schools in America. Since its debut, a number of anti-bullying campaigns, projects, and support groups have been created.

And in 2012, Michigan sophomore Whitney Kropp was elected homecoming queen, but her peers made fun of her on Facebook and the elected homecoming king gave up the crown. When a local Michigan resident found out, she created a Facebook page (that has since received more than 90,000 "likes") to support Whitney, spread the story beyond the small town, and launch a fund to send Whitney to the dance.

ALL GREAT OUTCOMES! :freehug:

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

This incredible 82-yr old man was a real Estate investor who saw homeless men, and decided to take action by pampering these indigent strangers every Wednesday in the park.

Payment?... A hug! :freehug:

[HDYT]BB3Syi_CeWc[/HDYT]

God Bless you, Joe Cymerys. This is the America I sooooo love!! :heart:

19. Black DeNiro

Great story of compassion, generosity, and selflessness. For a man to take time out of his life to help the less fortunate, speaks volumes about this man's heart and his character. I only wish there were more people out there like him because in a world filled with so much evil, guys like Joe Cymerys gives one hope of a brighter future. :smt109

20. Unique4ever

Brave Samaritan frees a coyote tangled up in barbed wire fence

A brave man with a kind heart:

[YOUTUBE]vE007fFnel0[/YOUTUBE]