Ghetto Ass Names

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by satyr, Oct 7, 2012.

1. K

K Well-Known Member

So I have a very unique name. My mom made it up by crossing 2 names. People always go on about how much they LOVE my name. I hated it growing up and used a shorter version that was much more "normal/common" and then started using my full name as I became an adult. At that point in time, it was a good thing to have a unique name...especially in California. I've seen the look on people's faces when I have walked in for interviews when they have seen my resume (with name) before meeting me. I know they often expect something different. At this point in time, I think such names can be a real hindrance (I know I've said something about this before but I'm too lazy to see if it's on here). I also spent my life being asked what my name means...to the point where I decided to make up my own meaning...I also felt somewhat as what Samson said regarding meaning. It was enough that I looked different and people were always talking me in different languages or asking "what are you anyway?"

I chose to name my children more normal names with strong meanings and they really reflect who they are.

2. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I'm laughing because I did the exact same thing. My name is Arabic and not very common (even now, though more so). I feel you on wanting a more normal name when you were younger. I went for a more " normal " name, too.

Then, I got older and realized how dope my real name actually was. Turns out my parents knew what they were doing after all. ...lol

If I had kids, I would give them unique names. I think it helps build character and a strong sense of self. Hopefully, that would translate into them not following the crowd and doing their own things. That's how it was for me, at least.

3. MightyLighty

MightyLighty Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying, but what do you consider a "ghetto", "hood" or "black"? Like would you consider Ebony, Tyrone or Jerome or to those terms, even though they are popular with blacks people but aren't "created" like some in thread have said.

4. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

My sons both have old testament names (the English version of it, so already exotic here) a simple straightforward middle name with good meaning that works both in German and English (as a back up, in case the other name should give them trouble) and an Igbo name.
    Our registrar offices here are quite strict, so you can't just give your child a misspelled or respelled name. I also don't like boy's names on girls. When we were in the US for holiday people were asking me if my son Micah is a girl. Didn't know that the name implied that possibility.

5. Madeleine

I believe Oprah is a Hebrew name, in the old testament it's Ophrah. Most traditional names have a meaning and etymology in some language except if someone's parents just put together nice-sounding syllables.

6. K

K Well-Known Member

well not quite.....Often they start off with such intentions and don't quite play out that way......

"Oprah Winfrey is a household name,but it turns out "Oprah" is not her real name. A little known fact about the media mogul -- her family wanted to give her a Biblical name, so they went with a name from the Book of Ruth.

"My Aunt Ida had chosen the name, but nobody really knew how to spell it, so it went down as 'Orpah' on my birth certificate, but people didn't know how to pronounce it, so they put the "P" before the "R" in every place else other than the birth certificate," she told the American Academy of Achievement back in 1991."

7. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I hate to hear this, and I still hear some doozies. It's one thing to make up a name, but when someone decides to include punctuation... I really get the eye roll. I have a cousin who just did this. It totally sets the children up for teachers mispronouncing the name and even later when job searching.

My first and last names are both very common, but I'm OK with it.

8. Madeleine

Ok, that is true, it was supposed to be Orpah.

Anyway, the ghettoest names in Germany are Kevin and Chantal.

9. MightyLighty

But why the eye rolls, because black people do it?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  10. DudeNY12

Black or white it's because it's a setup for kids, and more often than not... It's grammatically incorrect.

11. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Every few years this topic comes up, every few years the same defenders of ghetto names pop up, then every few years people are wondering why people are locked into low-paying jobs, can't get out of poverty, then every few years, there's a study or news report that reveals name bias, name discrimination, resumes tossed in the trash based on names, etc. etc, the circle continues

There was a story of black woman with a ghetto name on Monster.com who got no callbacks despite her experience and education. She made a fake Monster account with a "normal" name and a white photo and got callbacks.

Then people want to pull the rare success story exceptions out of their ass and wave them around like they're common (Oprah, Condeleeza)

And no, Arabic, African names aren't the same as ghetto names

If I had kids, I'd name them something normal, they'd be out there succeeding while other people would still be trying to normalize ratchet names.

I saw a Dr. Phil where a guy was on there arguing for pants-sagging and had his young son sagging, too. Actually trying to normalize the fuckery. Then you wonder why cops mess with you. This ghetto name thing is the same kind of shit IMO

12. MightyLighty

Says who???

13. DudeNY12

Exactly! Obviously a parent(s) have the right to choose the name for their child, but I think common sense should also come into play. They may think it's cool, different or whatever at the time, but the child has to actually live with the name.

14. RicardoCooper

Black people and common sense is almost oxymoronic. Guys who talk common sense are labelled Uncle Ruckuses, so step with caution brother

15. Madeleine

Is Leila (Layla, Laila, Leyla) also a Ghetto name for you guys?

16. RicardoCooper

No.

17. Madeleine

Thanks.
    And when you hear the name Laila, what kind of woman do you think of? White, black, mixed, other ethnicity?

18. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

I think Laila (however you spell it) is a beautiful, pretty name.
    It makes me think of a white woman, but thats probably because my best friend growing up was called Layla.
    As a kid I was really jealous because her name was so much prettier and more exotic than mine.
    To our families she was Lal and I was Lol (lol).

19. Madeleine

By the way, your name is mine, too;). I think we have a nice name. And it goes well in most languages so one doesn't have much problems with it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  20. RicardoCooper

I visualize a white woman.

Damn you Eric Clapton

:::shaking fist:::

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List