Ghetto Ass Names

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by satyr, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

My 4 letter named daughter was knocking out her signature at 3 yet my 7 letter son was well into reception year before I saw something that went further than 4 letters.

8 Letters was a big deal for me back then, I was always last in the queue which always meant the school dinner pick was the worst, cheese and pickle sandwiches for me usually. :(
    I remember complaining at great length, everyday whilst waiting and being told all the starving kids in the world, wouldn't complain as much as me!
    ( there little self shame ruse never worked on me, bastards lol)

2. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

That's old skool tactics to go by ascending number of letters in your name one day, and not reverse it and go descending every other day! Parents today WOULD NOT STAND FOR THAT SHIT!! lol

3. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Lol you know it, don't you.

I remember whining everyday to Mum when I got picked up, don't blame her for not putting action behind it though, I was a opinionated little shite, probably got on her nerves with my many miscarriages of justice stories. :smt061

4. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

That chick is the prototypical definition of ghetto, her future is laid out for dealing with nothing but penitentiary niccas.

:smt043:smt043:smt043

That's the thing about ghetto names, its just what those folks think sound cute in their minds. :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Good points here in your post to FH. Very well said.

6. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of Africans who subscribe to westernized concepts of religion, but there are also a lot of them for whom it is only skin deep (no pun intended), and they often have traditional names as well as 'Christian' ones, one as first name, the other as middle name, and they use the 'Christian' one in business transactions, documents, etc.

You're quite right that every tradition does in fact have a point of origin, but
    names usually meant something to someone in some language, somewhere. Joe Smith was named after Joseph from the Bible and his family craft/vocation as a Smith. I'd rather someone was named "Stands with Determination", or "Mean Right Hook" than some random collection of syllables. I don't knock people for being creative, I knock the historic evil that created this condition, where an entire subset of the human family has been stripped bare and had to rebuild from nothing, with nothing. But perhaps that ability to survive such horror is also a historic strength of which to be proud.

Something funny that I have noticed in Latino culture is that this same phenomena carries over there as well. Latinos of African ancestry are also notorious for the invented name stuff. You never see it among European Latinos and rarely among the indigenous, but African Latinos (and even mostly white ones from cultures shaped by African slavery) have names like Marysleysis, Damaris, Giggia, Daneicy, and the like, or actual African names like Anibal, Amilcar and Omar, etc...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  7. blacklexus

blacklexus Member

Its funny many you clown the first names of people....yet many of you carry the Slave masters last name so proudly.....smh...

I do think some of these names have gotten ridiculous in thought...historically African names meant something with meaning...unlike many of the European names with no meaning...we all know some people just like to try act or be different and often radical to name their child something to distinct or so they think.....

And for those of you who care to know....my Christian name was Richard..my Muslim name is Rashad which means thinker and Integrity of Conduct...

8. orejon4

I like this. There is a meaning. I don't care whether a person carries the "slave master's" name or not. I'm an atheist, so whether the name is Christian or not doesn't concern me either. As far as Islam is concerned, Arabs introduced it into Africa through slavery and war, just like Christianity. I don't think that is how you encountered it, since you mention it as part of a conscious conversion, but none of the Abrahamic faiths can claim singular righteousness with regard to their introduction and spread among other groups. My primary concern is that the name means something in some language. It is great that you can recite the meaning of your name. As for European names, they also mean things in the languages of their origin. I just wonder what does a black child say when asked what his/her name means? "Um, nothing, it's just something my mother made up"? Meaning is something that is universal among members of the human family and I hate the thought of kids in this country being left out of that. I could be totally off-base, that's just my thought.

9. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I feel the same way, I love how Nigerians pick such pretty biblical names for there girls especially, Like Providence (I know one) and Patience (I know two, one of which is a niece) Hope ( I know one) there is no confusion about the meaning in that instance.
    I also like names like Omah, adeola and one I loved for my daughter but didn't get to use Afiya not Nigerian but east african I think (means Health I think)

Meaning is what I was more concerned with.

My own name means from France/ Honest it has meaning, My daughters means little one and her middle means beauty. Little/ Beauty? get it?

10. orejon4

Me too. My son's name means "taught, instructed or learned" in Spanish. My Yoruba friend had talked to me about giving him a Yoruba name when he reaches adolescence if he continues to show interest in the culture, which I hope he does.

11. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

My son's first name means "brave warrior", and his middle name means "brave and vigilant".

12. blacklexus

blacklexus Member

Whoa player....let me clarify this for you...original Arabs are Africans and Islam did not come to Africa by war and slavery....where and which country?....North African Arab and Muslim countries were at war against Europeans for centuries....West and Central Africa adopted Islam through trade and dawah...not war or slavery...African kingdoms sold and traded pow's all the time amongst each other and to Asians and Europeans...this was not a Arab-Islamic thing....sure Arab states such as Arabia did slave trade but this was not Islamic..Arabia for centuries been a corrupt state so their history means nothing to me as far as that...Islam is a religion worldwide...there are Muslims in parts of East Europe and Asia that never did slavery ...If there were Muslims who did trade slaves etc that is not justifiable to say its Islamic...get the facts straight brotha...

Being Arab or having a Arabic-Islamic name is more than race or lineage..its a cultural and religous expression and identity...there are Arab whites just as there Arab blacks...both are Arabs....true Arabs do not care about racial stuff...this is a non issue..as they are mixed with people of all colors...

I do get what you saying about the pride a child should have in knowing the history and meaning of their name and not just naming a child a name ignorantly...that is sad as it is....I know there also are European names that mean something and this is why I referenced my statement the way I did as I am aware of that fact...but many European names do not mean nothing more than the name itself....yet these same people carry white slave owner names that do not mean nothing..it means you love the name that was put on your ancestors..

My name is not beholden to any individual or former slave holder...it is a name connected to High Creator...not man...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  13. satyr

satyr New Member

[​IMG]

14. satyr

satyr New Member

Just googled my first and last name and this image came up. Our names match.

Lord.

[​IMG]

15. orejon4

Good grief! She belongs in the Toned Women thread. Hotness!

I respect your point of view, and we will have to agree to disagree on the points you raised.

Islam (as well as most belief systems, so don't think I'm singling out Islam for criticism) was spread westward through a mix of the slave trade, warfare and general trade and eastward through a mix of both trade (Malaysia, Indonesia) and adoption by local rulers. The ancient world was not known for its beneficence and broad-mindedness, with a few exceptional periods. I agree with you that the Islamic period is by no means the only period which was characterized by slavery and warfare. Eastern European regions that contain large numbers of Muslims had slaves, not because of Islam, but because they are human and the history of all humans is full of barbarism (hence the name 'Slavs').

In the pre-Islamic period the people who populated North Africa were not Arabs, but Berbers, Tuaregs, Nubians from the headwaters of the Nile valley region. These people were converted to Islam and formed the bulk of the Moorish armies that Arab rulers led into Southern Europe. There is still significant anti-Arab tension among all of these groups because of Arab cultural chauvinism, forced use of the Arab language, etc. Islam is by no means specific to an ethnic group, but the Arab tribes who first adopted it (whether through reason or warfare) are closely associated with the spread of the religion, as well as their cultural practices which are interwoven in much of Islamic religious practice. Arab as a result can both denote a specific racial/ethnic group as well as a the cultural group of people colonized/converted by them (such as the culturally Arab black Africans of the Sudan).

I am aware of no names in any language that mean nothing other than African-American inventions of the last 30-45 years. Names in Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, French, etc, are all either names that are local variants on Christian/biblical names or names that have meaning in the varied pre-Roman languages of the ethnic groups that existed there.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  16. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Just came across this gem on Facebook

[YOUTUBE]JbS8LPkohCc[/YOUTUBE]

Standing ovation!

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

:D Too funny

18. bodhesatva

bodhesatva Well-Known Member

My husband and I have had this conversation, and we already agreed that when we have kids they will have consciously "normal" names. Not because white culture is better or anything like that, but because it's hard enough being a biracial child and giving her a clearly ethnic name would make it even harder.

I don't think it's fair, and names shouldn't matter. Neither should race. But the reality is that they do matter, so if my husband and I can make life easier for our (currently imaginary) daughter by naming her something like Charlotte instead of something like Shaniqua, then we'll do it. I am not one to bow down to the "man," but there way better ways to fight back against cultural norms than that. You have to pick your battles. And most importantly, when I get static for fighting back against cultural norms, I want the fallout to end up on my lap, not my child's. In the end, if I decided to give my child a "ghetto" name, she's the one who would have to deal with that static for the rest of her life, not me.

19. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I see what your saying but why does the name have to be "ghetto" just to fight societal norms. Barack Obama is ghetto to you?

Also raise your child to be a entrepreneur with a lot of high degree skills not some regular 9-5 average Joe wage slave, that's whats going to make a childs life easier in the long run. Not a name...

20. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

This is 1000% true. And, I'll add this; names should have meaning. Not just something made up. Spiritually, I feel like if you name a child something that means nothing, you're asking the universe bestow nothing on him or her.