(Feminine) Eurocentric Beauty Standards

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Luvu2Death, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Luvu2Death

Luvu2Death Active Member

[​IMG]

I think the coined term (feminine) Eurocentric beauty standard is a "feminist" cop out to shame men into settling for less notable women. The notion of there being some mass right wing conspiracy where people from birth are indoctrinated to believe white is better and any other form of beauty as being substandard isn’t entirely true and it implies white women’s beauty has no merits of its own.

I grew up poor with two black parents and I had very little interactions with white people. I went to predominately black schools, churches, and lived in predominately black neighborhoods. When I was a kid I saw plenty of black figures on TV. Shows like Martin, The Wayne Bros, Living Single, and The Steve Harvey Show were extremely popular, not to mention Kenan & Kel.

Female Rap and R&B acts were prolific at that time. There wasn’t a day that went by that you didn’t hear or see Lil Kim, Da Brat, Mary J. Blige, Missy Elliot, Foxy Brown, TLC, and Aaliyah. I’ve spent plenty of time with my grandmothers, aunts, cousins, etc. I played with and went to school with black girls. Yet with all this influence and socialization, I just always felt indifferent to my environment.

As a kid I adored Christina Ricci as Kat in Casper and Wednesday Addams, Amy Jo Johnson as the Pink Ranger, Melissa Joan Hart in Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The black girls in shows like Moesha, Sister, Sister, Cousin Skeeter, and One on One really did nothing for me.

With all this, I wasn’t indoctrinated into thinking white was better or to find white women more appealing. If anything, I was taught to fear white people and have a mistrust of white women because of incidents like Emmett Till. Heck, I couldn’t even understand colorism as a kid. I didn’t care how light or dark you were as long as you were nice to me. I didn’t care about complexion or race.

Now I know what you’re going to say, “Then why even type this, asshat?” Well, I think just because something is popular or highly celebrated doesn’t make it bad. Yes, white feminine beauty is celebrated and promoted throughout the world. Are some biases and prejudices practiced because of it at times? Yes. Is white feminine beauty inherently bad and without merit? No.

So I would like to ask “feminist” if the (feminine) Eurocentric beauty standard is toxic, then why are you not excoriating white men for it? Do these people ever condemn Brad Pitt or George Clooney for appearing on People’s Magazine for umpteenth time? What about all the white male music acts and superheroes you see everywhere? I dare any of you to pick up a fashion magazine like Cosmopolitan or “W.” You will hardly ever see a black, Asian or Indian man in any of those magazines.

White men’s likeness is everywhere and is portrayed in a far more positive light than others, yet feminist don’t seem to care. And if that’s what women/consumers want, then I’m happy with it. I’m all for freedom of choice and the free market. But don’t throw around conspiracy theories because there aren’t “enough” women of color in Victoria Secret, some New York fashion runway, or some big Hollywood production. You ever think maybe, just maybe, certain things don’t sell, or sometimes people don’t make the cut?

Name one white female rapper or R&B group that even comes close to Nicki Minaj or the likes of a TLC? Right, Iggy Azalea was run out of town like Frankenstein while the same “people” applauded her scumbag fiancé for cheating on her. Yet these same “people” won’t shut up about Tiger Woods and RG3 for their infidelities, shame.

2. Beat-man

Beat-man Active Member

it is meant to attack the black man

3. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

And this is bad, because there are plenty sexy and beautiful black, asian and indian men too. They aren't just "magnificent male specimen", which seem to be the only term the media acknowledge the looks of a man who isn't white.

4. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

The same sub-par women ranting against "Eurocentric Beauty Standards" are drooling over all the white male hunks on the CW, like Arrow and the Supernatural brothers, the white boys on "Bachelorette" and the white president on "Scandal." Pay them no mind and do you.

5. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Some of these so-called feminist still adhere to the white patriarchy. They will ask of us to celebrate the beauty of women of all races, color, shapes and sizes, but they let the media still promote and limit these beauty standards to white men. They want poster for female beauty diverse, but keep the poster for the male standards to white men. Then when you HAVE women especially white women recognize the attractiveness of a black man here comes these black feminist in black men's face like don't you dare acknowledge her. And of course you have everyone who treats white women that notices the handsomeness of black men like those stereotypical ww that only like bm as sex objects or want to mock her like "Oh, she only likes black guys", ect.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I chuckle at the fact that the OP is trying to be ambiguous about who he's talking about by just saying "Feminists". You must be talking about black feminists, because I don't think i've ever heard white feminists whine about female eurocentric beauty standards.

[​IMG] Yo, I didn't realize they celebrated Swaggy P cheating on Iggy Azalea. That's really low. Anyways, seeing how Iggy Azalea career has played out (and to a lesser degree Kreayshawn/V-Nasty/White Girl Mob) it's WAY HARDER for a WW to make it into Hip-Hop/R&B as an artist OR even as a media personality (i.e. YesJulz) than a WM. BW not gonna let them live, it's gonna be non-stop hate.

Good luck to the "Cash Me Outside" girl who just signed a major record label, she gonna need it:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  7. Luvu2Death

Luvu2Death Active Member

I would have just said black women, but I've been scolded on here before for being too blunt. To be honest, the Eurocentric beauty standard like colorism is a personal issue for black women. The two arguments are only used to malign white women for being preferred while shaming black men for exercising possible outside dating options. It's all about inclusion and white acceptance for them.

I'm not a fan of Iggy Azalea's music but how she was treated was outright racist and utterly disdainful. Can you imagine if a black artist was treated in the same fashion as Iggy in country music, heavy metal, or rock? You would never hear the end of it. God Forbid, Lajon Witherspoon of Sevendust, Derrick Green of Sepultura, and Darius Rucker had pretty impressive careers despite being the only black men in those genres.

At least black men earn their way or create their own niche. I can't really say that about the other party. They just want to guilt people while coming up with stupid shit like "intersectionality."

8. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Black people can't be racist, they can be bigots as racism is designed to be beneficial to white people(men.) hints why it is apart of the power structure of this country. But I get what your saying though and I agree. Intersectionality is a new one, I have heard of the "erasure of black women."