Emmit Louis Till

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Be-you-tiful86, May 16, 2008.

1. Be-you-tiful86

Be-you-tiful86 Well-Known Member

In August 1955, Mamie Till-Mobley of Chicago sent her only child, 14 year old Emmett Till, to visit relatives in the Mississippi Delta.Little did she know that 8 days later, Emmett would be abducted from his great uncles home,brutally beaten and murdered for one of the oldest Southern taboos; adressing a white woman in public.The murderers where soon arrested but later acquitted of murder by an all white and all male

Here is the link to the website

http://www.emmetttillstory.com/

2. jellybird

jellybird New Member

99% of your "informed" blacks know of Emmitt Till. But I am glad that you're taking an interest in the violent racism that blacks (particularly bm) faced and continue to face.

If you want to to continue your education in that particular area, here is a short (but far from complete) list of american blacks who have been victims of violent racism:

Amadou Diallo

Abner Louima

Patrick Dorismond

James Byrd

Medgar Evars

and lets not forget Shawn Bell.

3. Be-you-tiful86

Be-you-tiful86 Well-Known Member

Well I thought it wasn't a bad idea to share it :)

4. suprchic73

suprchic73 New Member

i remember learning about emmitt till in one of my african american studies classes. it has permanently left a mark on me. i made a reference to his case in another thread...don't remember which one, but it was awhile ago.

it's a crazy world...

5. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

mary ann mobley, former Ms Mississippi and Miss America

6. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

The sad part is the woman who started it will not be indicted along with several others. I wished she would go to jail but it will never happen.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Sad news...

'Simeon Wright, the cousin of Emmit Till who was with him when he whistled at Carolyn Bryant and was sleeping in bed with him when her husband and brother-in-law came for Till, died of cancer Monday, at age 74.

Wright, who spent a large part of his life keeping Till's case and story alive, had gone to great lengths to keep the case in the public eye.

Besides writing a book about his cousin's murder he had recently been working on a film project with filmmaker Keith Beauchamp.'

[​IMG]

Dr. Benjamin Chavis, Keith Beauchamp, director, and Simeon Wright

From the book...
    (Wright and Emmett were sleeping in bed when J.W. Milam and Roy Bryant entered with guns.)

'They had come for Bobo,' Wright wrote in his book 'Simeon's Story.' 'No begging, pleading or payment was going to stop them.'

'I must have stayed in the bed for hours, petrified,' Wright wrote.

Bryant and Milam took Till from the home, despite Wright's mothers pleading and offering money to the men.

...It took the all-White jury less than an hour to acquit Bryant and Milam of Till’s murder, to the outrage of the country.

A jury member later said: ‘We wouldn't have taken so long if we hadn't stopped to drink pop.’ (purely disgusting!)

Wright was there when Till made the fateful error of hitting on a white woman in the 1950's in Money, Mississippi.

Till had told friends he had a white girlfriend back home in Chicago so his friends dared him to ask the white woman working the counter at a nearby store out on a date.

He went into the store, bought candy, and said 'Bye baby' to Carolyn Bryant, and whistled at her as he walked out.

(Carolyn had said afterwards nothing Emmett could have done would have justified his death) (ugh)

[​IMG]
    Simeon Wright, right, and Cook County sheriff Thomas Dart view the original casket of Emmett Till held in a storage room at Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip, Illinois

[​IMG]
    Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick J. Leahy (far left), Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (second left) Simeon Wright (center

[​IMG]
    Visting Emitt's grave.

Rest peacefully, good man. You lived through a traumatizing time, experience and life that no child should have ever had to bear witness to. Thank you for keeping Emmit's memory alive, he lives on forever in our hearts and minds.

8. Soulthinker

9. Soulthinker

The sad part is that woman who started it is still alive and got away with it.

10. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

She knew something would happen to him if she said something, why couldn't she just keep her mouth shut?

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

She had to have known telling her husband would result in him getting beat uo, at the least.

What's even more difficult to swallow is that he was just a young teen boy paying her a compliment, being cheeky, you know...how could any person interpret that as being vulgar, sexual, and run to her husband like she was some rape victim. So painful thinking about that poor child and what he went through.:(

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well the two who killed him are dead. One got bone cancer which is very painful so that's good, and he died at 61 which was still young....the other died of cancer. I hope they're rotting in pure hell.
    To think they got paid $30,000 to admit they killed him. So the two bastards got aqquited, made crazy money off a murder, and got to brag about it. That jury knew then they killed him and knew for sure after the interview. May they aaalll burn in hell.

13. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    She is still alive, and probably still with the inhuman opinions about her fellow human beings.

14. Soulthinker

I read Tim Tyson who wrote a book on Emmitt Till interviewed her years back.

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

"He was a gentleman, he didn't deserve it':
    White 'girlfriend' of Emmett Till speaks out for the first time after the black 14-year-old's murderers killed him in 1955 for 'boasting of having a white girl'

By Hannah Parry

Full story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6107785/White-girlfriend-Emmett-Till-speaks-time.html
    • Till's murderers 'killed him because he boasted of having a white girl and showed them the picture of a white girl in Chicago,' Huie said in 'Eyes on the Prize' film
    • The white girl has now been identified as his former classmate Joan Brody
    • She described him as a respectful 'gentleman' with 'beautiful eyes' and dismisses the claims he would have threatened a woman
    • This year, the DOJ has now reopened its investigation into his death ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/us/emmett-till-death-investigation.html )

16. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Damage was already done. Fuck an investigation.

17. Soulthinker

I always wondered whatever happened to her. Great she told her story.

18. Soulthinker

A short movie My Nephew Emmett was nominated for a Oscar this year. Jasmine Guy played Tully's aunt.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Murder investigations never expire. Co-conspirators are still living. You should welcome an investigation. The first one was a farce.

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Now you can truly Rest in Peace, Emmitt. </3...
    Your killers are finally all in hell.

Screenshot_20230427_151734_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_151648_Drive.jpg

"I want the whole world to see what they did to my boy". -Mrs. Mamie Till Bradley

On September 24, 1955, an all-white Mississippi jury, after a mere sixty-seven minutes of deliberation, acquitted J. W. Milam and Roy Bryant of the murder of Emmett Till. Till, a fourteen-year-old black boy from Chicago, had been visiting for the first time his extended family in the Mississippi Delta. One afternoon, barely a week into his visit, he and several other youths were standing outside a white-owned grocery store in the small hamlet of Money. Apparently, Till had been boasting of his friendships with white people up North-in particular his friendships with white girls-and the local kids, looking to call his bluff, dared him to enter the store and flirt with Carolyn Bryant, the white woman and former beauty queen who was working the cash register. Till entered the store, and what he did next is unclear. Some say he "wolf whistled" at Bryant; others say he grabbed her hand and asked her for a date; still others claim he did nothing more than simply say, "Bye, baby," to her as he left the store. Whatever Till did, it was apparent to all involved that he had done something that Carolyn Bryant found inappropriate. Till's friends rushed him away from the store as Bryant went to her car to get a gun.

For three days, nothing more happened, and then Roy Bryant-Carolyn's husband-and J. W. Milam-Roy Bryant's stepbrother-struck out in the dead of night in search of young Till. They found him where they thought he'd be at two in the morning: asleep in the modest cabin of Mose Wright, his uncle. The two men, demanding to see the boy "who'd done the talking," took Till forcibly from the house, and his family never saw him alive again. The next morning, at the family's request, the local sheriff searched the county, and when he could not find any trace of Till, he questioned and eventually arrested Milam and Bryant on kidnapping charges. When Till s bloated and disfigured corpse surfaced three days later downstream in the Tallahatchie River, Milam and Bryant were quickly re-arrested, this time for murder...