"Detroit"...I'm gonna rant a bit

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by JamalSpunky, Jul 14, 2017.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Here's another thing I came across on twitter. A group of black women were having a discussion about the issue they were having with the casting by DuVernay in a "Wrinkle In Time". They were focusing on the people picked to play the mother, father and daughter who is the focus character. Wait, I told myself. Could this mean what I thought it meant? Silly rabbit. These ladies were pissed that the woman chosen to play the wife was not a dark skinned woman but instead a biracial female. There not being any black men in this equation wasn't an issue to them. One of them even wrote that she hated black men. Of course this didn't stop them from adding their two cents about the Black Panther motion picture. They criticized the writer/director Ryan Coogler for casting a light-skinned black woman to play a small villainous character (American) who works alongside Michael B. Jordan's character in the film. These catty bitches suggested that if Tessa Thompson was available Coogler would have cast her as one of the black females of Wakanda. Of course that is bs. Coogler hired darker skinned women intentionally and for a reason fin those Wakanda roles. But these ladies have to attack him. Meanwhile they gave DuVernay a pass for not casting black men period.

Speaking of Michael B Jordan he is doing an adaptation of Fahrenheit 451 for HBO. I've kept an eye on casting to see if he would get a love interest and what actress they would choose if so. Turns out they gave his character a wife and of course TPTB chose a black actress, the woman who was the object of Peter Parker's affections in Spiderman Homecoming. Was it too much to give Jordan a non-black wife? Black actresses benefit big time when black actors become stars because Hollywood still looks at black women to play their love interests. Black actors don't benefit when stardom hits black actresses because Hollywood look for mostly non-black men to play their on screen squeezes. I'm almost a point these days that I don;'t look forward to a movie or show starring a black man when he gets "stuck" with a black woman. Lord help me that may sound evil but that's where I am.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Which actress are you talking about?

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

As I've pointed out about the new scenes being shot for the movie The Mountain Between Us, they are re-shooting a scene that involved a kissing scene when movie was in production.

In Production
    [​IMG]

Post Production
    [​IMG]

It is very clear that they are either doing that scene over or adding to it. But it suggest that they maybe doing it over without the kissing scene. Like I said I feel you on what your saying, but shit like this is going to put a spotlight on Hollywood's and those black women's double standard. In the age of the internet and social media that kissing scene is all over the internet, the movie is already being promoted by everyone except the studio as a romance, mostly because people heard of the book and that's what the studio planned on it being. It will be very noticeable if they take that out and dump the romance angle. I almost want them to do that, because I very much believe that the double standard will be put out there and EVERYTHING will be exposed. Let's not forget Will Smith has a white wife and a biracial child in upcoming Netflix movie BRIGHT. I believe the opposition to the hate on bm/ww romances on screen will be going down very soon. These black women wanted mainstream, now that double standard will come into play and if they keep talking about this movie DETRIOT we all know they are going to soon mention the white women involved with that brotha in this film, that double standard exposure might happen sooner than later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Don't recall her name. Not Zendaya.

5. ColiBreh1

In hindsight, Nate Parker should've took the Netflix deal at Sundance last year instead of signing with Fox Searchlight pictures.

6. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Basically

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing this movie to my/our attention. Never knew about it.
    Looks compelling.

Btw, found the kissing clip...

*(could be a spolier if you watch it after viewing the trailer.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  8. darkcurry

Welcome.
    I never knew there was a video to it. Thanks for bringing that up. Has over 55, 000 views. So yeah, they could pretty much ruin the movie if they take out the romance due to racism or bigotry from black women. People ARE going to notice. Hopefully they won't, a co-worker of mines keep telling me to read the book before I go see this movie.

9. darkcurry

10. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

It'll be just like in Secret In Their Eyes if they edit out the kissing scene just so they won't piss movie viewers off who are Anti-IR.

11. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

The more I read these posts I begin to see there is no shortage of hatred for black men and I honestly don't get it.
    Especially with black women, don't they have brothers fathers sons and cousins? They are on this separation tour where everything is about supporting black women and condemning black men unless they bend the knee and worship them or they're gay. Suddenly its all about black women and not black people, can you imagine if any black man said this? I wonder where does that leave us.
    I got into it with some women on Facebook recently, Black Couple Revolution, because they posted some nonsense where some shitty white mom said some racist shit to her biracial daughter. Now I support the page because I do believe black couples don't get enough exposure and I come from black couples as do most of my nieces and nephews so I fully support it. However I don't get what place that post had on a page about black couples, until the comments started rolling in and it was basically a bunch of black women saying this is what happens when we don't teach our black boys to stay away from white women. Actually:

OP: A white mother of a "biracial" girl tells her daughter exactly how she feels about her in a text message.
    When will Black people stop having sex and children by white supremacists?

Me: I thought this page was about celebrating black couples not bashing interracial couples and non blacks. That's some sad backwards thinking.
    And if you think black parents aren't equally as abusive think again. The vast majority of parental abuse black people experience is from shitty black parents. Dating and marrying monracially will not save you from the unhealed scars of others.

Black woman: OK, thanks for to yessa messa long ass essay nigga coon smh... Clearly your ass love yo white women. U probably wouldn't give a fuck what this nutty broad said to the child huh.. See negro like u are dangerous for the black community. In due time coons will have their time

Me: Lol ahhh nothing like hate in the morning
    I'm sure whatever man you have in your life must adore your bubbling personality

Another bw: Why are you here anyway, aren't you with Becky?

Me: No I'm not. I don't need to be with a white woman to see this horseshit as straight up wrong

Another bw: So loving and choosing your own people is wrong? WTF

Me: Who said that it was wrong? Like I said I came here to support black couples not spend time bashing interracial couples and white people. It's unnecessary and makes no sense

Another bw: You can't have black children with a white woman anyway

Me: This is ALWAYS a burden thrown at the feet of black men never black women. I'm still waiting for the video where black women give the same message to other black women.

And the reality is that any child I have will be black no matter who their mother is so this entire thing is moot

Bw: A) Statistically, black women have been less likely to date outside their race than black men.
    B) It's moot to you - but, obviously not the other people who know that black children cannot come from between the legs of a non-black woman.

Me: A) so what they still do it. Doing it less doesn't absolve them or at least it shouldn't which makes the whole argument ridiculous to begin with.
    B) If that nonsense is true that why do these same people praise Obama as our first black president and Malcom X as a great black man or Halle Berry as a beautiful black woman. That argument is a complete moving target.

Bw: Don't think that black women don't catch hell for that. I can only assume you don't see it because if the range of people in your orbit. I know I see it all the time and more than half the time - I see it from other black females such as myself.
    Secondly, again, none of the people I have in my orbit consider Obama black. And they also realize that Malcolm X wasn't biracial in that he had a direct white parent. His mother was the product of RAPE and so there was no love lost between him and his raping grandaddy. I'm that instance, I really wish people would get the story straight.

Me: Catch hell how? No one stops a black woman's mobility or threatens their lives the way they do black men. Or maybe it's not reported but as far as our community is concerned we either celebrate it or it isn't mentioned but it never gets the backlash when the genders are reversed.
    Secondly if you don't consider Obama black then you weren't paying attention to how he moves in this world and more importantly how he was treated in this world. So if Malcom X doesn't take how about Frederick Douglas or Bob Marley or maybe Jesse Williams? I notice how you glossed over the Halle example though

Conversations like this make me realize for the most part we're on our own.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You provided excellent points. A great read.

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lmao you argue with black women??

No Thanks

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. The Dark King

lol couldn't help myself. Sometimes you have to do it so others who think like us don't feel like they're alone in their thinking.

15. darkcurry

From my observations other than the in fighting some bm/ww IR couples have for the most part we seem to be less likely to be on that separatist shit and bash black men or white women for not dating each other. I'm sure other types of IR couples that aren't made up of bw/wm are less likely as well, but I RARELY hear about interracial couples talking and acting like this. The last time I seen it was on an episode of Jenny Jones, where they talked about interracial couples that don't like their own race.

16. ColiBreh1

LOL. I'm involved in these same type of arguments/debates almost every week. But, I completely avoid topics about WW being racist/abusive to their biracial kids (or just being racist period) cause it's ALWAYS a bait topic to antagonize/troll BM who date/marry IR, meanwhile we NEVER talk about BW who are abusive to their kids.

17. MightyLighty

MightyLighty Well-Known Member

DK, you knew going toe-to-toe with them would result in that. I've learnt NOT to engage in their bullshit.

18. The Dark King

Which is the vast majority. So its clear like most racists they don't really care about anyone they just like to make noise

19. The Dark King

Like I said I do it for people who think like me and don't think anyone else does as well

20. darkcurry

I legit have seen TRUMP supporters online get at bw that act like that towards black men dating ww and calling out the double standard on a lot of shit including one asking what do they call white men that date black women in response to that "becky" term. You know it's bad when that happens.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List