Democratic National Convention

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mikey, Jul 26, 2016.

1. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

struck a nerve?:cool:

2. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

We should try to forge a bond between other non-white groups, rather than stereotype against them.

How do you know how many did? What if Ben Carson ran against President Obama during his re-election?

If you consider the black people (and people of other races) who don't participate in voting, yet hold these ideologies, it might mean there are more people out there like that than we think. We can assume that voter participation would be around 70% this year, so it makes you wonder what the other 30% of the country is like?

I would like for you to go to a Trump rally and give a speech saying that.

3. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I'm on my phone so I'm limited in my ability to delete or bold, but wasn't it something like 96% of black people that voted in 2008 voted for Obama? And I believe it dropped to 92% for the 2012 election.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Always love when this is thrown out lol. Blacks typically vote Democrat I think it's usually 89% and in 2008 the concensus was not only to vote for Obama because he was the best candidate but there was major backlash against the Republicans for destroying the economy. So even those who would regularly vote Republican were turned off that year. Either they didn't show up or switch hit that cycle. The 2012 election largely reflects the norm for blacks voting Democrat.

5. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Well that's just racist when you pointing out the truth.

Best president ever in the universe!!!!

Of course if it's a republican black politician he's a "sell out" before he says one fucking word.

But put a d by a black politicians name and he's "keeping it real. "

6. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

The level of political involvement and enthusiasm in the black community sky rocketed when he ran. There were shirts with pictures of his face on Mount Rushmore before he was even elected! Lol

7. The Dark King

OK what's your point? People got excited for a candidate they believed in. Funny how no one ever says shit about white people voting for a white person. No one claimed people voted for Romney or McCain simply because they were white. Like I keep say this didn't effect normal voting patterns for black people. If you want to use that argument it would have to be a black independent or Republican who wins the majority of the black vote.

8. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

There is tons of talk about the percentage of women who are voting for Hillary.

When the candidates are different than the norm, the media focuses on that difference.

9. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

It's interesting because many people, including one I debated with a few years ago insist that blacks voted for President Obama simply because he was black. I politely reminded him of how most blacks feel about Clarence Thomas. Sure, he wasn't running for office, but given the side of the aisle he was on, and of course the Anita Hill thing... He had very, very little support in the black community. In my opinion he's one of the many lucky ones make it over the bridge, but unlike many who want to ensure that others are able to make it despite obvious racism/misogynism and so on... Thomas joined in with his cronies who continue to deny that such barriers exist, and burned those bridges down after safely crossing.

10. The Dark King

The woman this I'm less familiar with. I'd imagine many just vote the way their parents and spouse vote

11. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

I imagine that never came up because most of the time it was two white people running against each other.

Do I think there were a large amount of people that didn't vote for Obama because he was black? Absolutely! That's just as wrong as voting for him because he's black.

There is a large amount of feminist, women, and male feminist that will be voting for Hillary because she is a woman.

12. The Dark King

I think more voted for him because they genuinely believed in him

13. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

The problem with this comment is that most of those people who are black and voted for him because he is black voted because they believe he had the life experience of being black in the USA.

Voting because someone is black is short term for he knows what it is like to be discriminated against because of what he looks like. which is true.

His policy will often reflect that such as my brother's keeper or the Obamacare.

Michelle Obama did the same with the fitness thing.

Mind you most these program's help all of america given that fatherless rate for both black and white are almost equal and that no matter your racist you far more likely to die from a heart disease or cancer than from being murdered.

14. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

The exact same thing is true of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton's campaigns when they ran for President. Hell, I remember back in '04 before the South Carolina primaries when pundits predicted that Sharpton was going to win that state walking away because they just knew all the black folks were going to vote for him in droves...

...and then he ended up coming in a distant third behind John Edwards and John Kerry. Hell, Sharpton didn't even come close to winning a primary that year! Anyone who thinks that black folks voted for Obama solely because of his skin color just show their ignorance every time they open their mouths and I have a hard time taking anything they say seriously.

15. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

What I meant in the context of my post was that I don't think that's representative of the entire black race because voter participation in 2012 was only about 57.5% of the total citizenry, while in 2008 it was at 62.3%. Instead, I'd look at the percentage of Black people who support the Black Lives Matter movement. It's 7 out 10 right now, which means for some reason, 30% of Black people don't support the Black Lives Matter movement. I wonder why that is?