Dannon drops Cam Newton for sexist remark to female reporter

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bliss, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    • Newton 'belittled' a female reporter for asking routine question
    • Panthers beat writer Jourdan Rodrigue said she felt 'dismayed' following the exchange during Newton's weekly press conference on Wednesday
    • Afterwards Rodrigue took to Twitter to express her concern over the comments
    • She also said that after speaking with him about the situation things got 'worse'
    • Carolina Panthers spokesman Steven Drummond later said that Newton had expressed 'regret' about his comments
    • But Rodrigue claims she never received an apology from the 2015 NFL MVP
    • Panthers coach Ron Rivera: 'Cam made a mistake'
    Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton lost a major endorsement deal with Dannon Yogurt on Thursday after making a sexist comment to a female reporter during a press conference on Wednesday.

'We have shared our concerns with Cam and will no longer work with him,' read a statement from Michael Neuwirth, senior director of external communications for Dannon, which makes the Oikos line of Greek yogurt that Newton was paid to endorse before Thursday.

During Wednesday's press conference, the Charlotte Observer's Jourdan Rodrigue asked Newton a routine question about the routes being run by Panthers wideout Devin Funchess
    Newton appeared to condescend the female reporter, saying: 'It's funny to hear a female talk about routes.' Newton then takes a pause before repeating 'it's funny.'

Dannon Yogurt did not find it funny.

'We are shocked and disheartened at the behavior and comments of Cam Newton towards Jourdan Rodrigue, which we perceive as sexist and disparaging to all women,' read the Dannon spokesman's statement. 'It is entirely inconsistent with our commitment to fostering equality and inclusion in every workplace. It's simply not ok to belittle anyone based on gender.'

[​IMG]

Newton's marketing agent, Carlos Fleming of WME/IMG told ESPN that Dannon has not completely cut ties with Newton, 'nor do they have the grounds to.'

According to ESPN, Neuwirth confirmed that Dannon would continue to keep the 2015 NFL MVP under contract without using him, and the company has started pulling existing advertising that includes Newton's likeness.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera also responded Thursday, saying he wants to focus on the team's Week 5 matchup with Detroit.

'Cam made a mistake,' Rivera said. 'I understand he had a conversation where he pretty much said he shouldn't have said what he said. As far as I'm concerned, what I'd like to do is talk about getting ready for the Detroit Lions.'

Whether or not Newton actually expressed regret is a disputed matter.

Rodrigue revealed on Twitter that she had confronted Newton, 28, on his comments following the conference, adding that the situation only deteriorated from there.

She neglected, however, to divulge details of their conversation.

'I spoke with him after and it was worse,' she wrote. 'I chose not to share, because I have an actual job to do today and one he will not keep me from.'

In response, Carolina Panthers spokesman Steven Drummond released a statement saying that the star quarterback was remorseful for his choice of words.

'I have spoken with Jourdan and Cam and I know they had a conversation where he expressed regret for using those words,' Drummond said.

'We strive as a department to make the environment for the media comfortable for everyone covering the team,' he added.

However, NFL.com analyst Ian Rapoport later tweeted a reply by Rodrigue on the matter, revealing that Newton had yet to apologize for his behavior.

[​IMG]

'This afternoon, I did my job as NFL beat writer and asked Cam Newton a question about one of his receivers,' Rodrigue said.

'I was dismayed by his response, which not only belittled me but countless other women before me and besides me who work in similar jobs.'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following Wednesday's news briefing, Rodrigue expressed her dismay at Newton's treatment via Twitter.

[​IMG]
    'I don't think it's 'funny' to be a female and talk about routes. I think it's my job,' she wrote.

Brian McCarthy, a spokesperson for the NFL, said in a statement Wednesday night that Newton's comments 'are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league.'

'They do not reflect the thinking of the league,' he added.

Newton, who has served as a spokesman for Dannon since January of 2015, has also endorsed Pepsi, Under Armour, and Belk, which is a Charlotte-based retailer.

For the exchange clip:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4952940/Dannon-Yogurt-DROPS-Cam-Newton-sexist-comment.html

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I meant to post about this in the fake outrage thread. But yeah, after seeing these tweets I can definitely confirm my suspicions this scandal is an example of Liberal racism especially since the reporter is supposedly the 1 that has made this a way bigger scandal/controversy than it needs to be.

@Bliss What's your thoughts on this scandal?

4. darkcurry

Is she a liberal? But I seen NBC News mentioned her past racial remarks and said they were "Tweets some describe as racist". NBC just showed it's racism right there. Also I notice that she spoke with Cam off camera and said he didn't apologize and made things worse. That doesn't sound right to me why would he go to her after his comments and not apologize? I need to hear what Cam have to say especially about that convo he had with her off camera.

BTW her apology is fake as hell being as though it comes 4/5 years later after the fact and she mentioned it was 4/5 years ago which just might be sarcasm, so yeah Fake ass apology.

5. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

6. darkcurry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ColiBreh1

I read that Cam was going to apologize, but he changed his mind because she went on social media & blew this up.

Also it seems she already felt some way about Cam based on her past tweets.

8. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I'm all for piling on the reporter for the late apologies for her racist tweets. But the real story is what a dumbass Cam Newton is. Everyone has a brain fart from time to time and says some dumb shit out loud. But when you do, you immediately fall on your sword and apologize profusely. Now he has lost his endorsement deal and it's gonna take a lot of eating crow before another big-dollar company takes a chance on him again.

9. darkcurry

You found more tweets?

10. ColiBreh1

11. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Regarding her tweets, the reporter sounds to me like she's being sarcastic and frustrated having to listen to her father say racist shit about Native Americans. Like one big eye roll. I don't see how her commenting on her father being racist makes her a racist.

Have you ever dated a a White girl before?? Lots of them have racist parents.

As for the Dale Earnhardt 'bitch nigga' retweet, I'm sorry but I just can't get that upset about White people using phrases and words from hip-hop culture that Black artists are putting out there for public consumption.
    It's crazy for an artist to create lyrics then say no one else except Black folk can repeat them.
    This is the idiocy of the Black community holding on for dear life to the N-word.

Cam deserved what he got and people need to stop deflecting for him. It was about as purely sexist a comment you'll ever hear someone else make.

12. ColiBreh1

Even if Jourdan Rodrigue isn't a liberal, she's using the liberal feminist angle to go at Cam & most of the media folks & regular folks on social media going at Cam are doing the same thing. Some these liberals are legit exposing their racism.

Real talk, I see conservatives calling out this fake outrage scandal for what it is. I saw former ESPN reporter Britt McHenry tweet this:

https://twitter.com/BrittMcHenry/status/915734699473035265
    [​IMG]

Some things I noticed in the media:

1. Jemele Hill from ESPN took shots at Cam. So after getting heat for co-signing that "BM are the WP of BP" article after BM defended her with the calling Trump a White Supremacist controversy, she can't help herself showing her true colors for her disdain for black men. I'm thinking Jason Black's theory of why Jemele Hill hates BM is spot on.

2. Bomani Jones from ESPN not only going at Cam, he caped for Jourdan Rodrigue's racist tweets. Glad to see him exposing himself the last month as just another buffer negro, basically he's just a sports version of Marc Lamont Hill. A lot black folks really thought for years he was 1 the few real niggas in the mainstream sports media. Not anymore, Shannon Sharpe seems to be that figure now.

3. Kristine Leahy from Fox Sports 1 was basically caping for/defending Cam on the "Speak for Yourself" show. I guess see she wants to remake her image after being labeled as racist after the controversy with Lavar Ball on "The Herd" a few months ago. I don't have a problem with that.

4. LOL at Molly Qerim from ESPN's "First Take". I didn't bother to watch any of the video clips of her ranting about this controversy, but I did browse the comments section on YouTube. A lot of dislikes + plus black folks & white conservatives teaming up going in on her. A lot of black folks dislike Molly because she turns into a ranting Feminist whenever a black athlete does something she doesn't like, I've yet to see her do 1 of these rants for a white athlete. I wonder if Jalen Rose is still dating her?

5. LOL at the hater site I like to whine about. BW on that forum who aren't caping for Jourdan Rodrigue and/or throwing Cam under the bus are being called names like "mammy" and "ghetto birds".

13. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Ok, what did he say to her?

14. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

He said it "was funny to hear a female talk about routes." I don't think he was trying to be demeaning, I think he was just thinking out loud. A lot of guys think it's funny or cute when women bust out sports lingo. However, as an NFL QB he should have been savvy enough to see the shitstorm coming.

15. Reverie

And all this drama because of that?
    The female reporter could be more street smart herself and come up with an answer like " I bet you are loving it", or "does your arse hurt because of it?" or something else snappy and just leave it there. Seriously, she thinks too highly of her self; he should not have to apologize.

16. andreboba

To say that out loud to a female sports reporter and then stand there with a shit eating grin, it was a bad look. If you've seen the vid, notice how the press room went dead silent after Cam's remark, when normally those reporters are joking along with Cam.

He should have realized how sexist and stupid his comment was and just apologized immediately, not act like he didn't say anything wrong.

The same people defending Cam would be the same ones freaking out if a White reporter said how strange it was to interview a successful Black NFL QB.

People are allowed to think and say whatever they want, but that doesn't mean they should expect others to agree with them when they say something dumb.

FWIW, I don't think many people are making a huge deal about it. No one is saying he should be suspended. But whether or not you think a woman is capable of talking intelligently about sports, you can't say that shit.

And conservatives defending Cam should be a warning. You're talking about many of them as a group who don't give a fuck about sexism or racism and think it's all liberal bullshit.

17. andreboba

I think she clapped back at Cam because she said after she went to talk to him after the press conference, he kept saying ignorant shit.
    She didn't really go in on him hard IMO because she didn't disclose the rest of the nonsense Cam said in private.

18. Reverie

Come on @andreboba She should have stepped up herself and put him in place. So much you should dare to ask of a female sport reporter. She lost face in front of her peers by not doing it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  19. Reverie

She showed herself to be a push over when it comes to be a woman working in a field traditionally a man only thing. Unforgivable in my book.

20. darkcurry

The same thing can be said about Cam, that's just drawing conclusions on what he meant. Cam has been interviewed by women talking football to him before and he didn't respond like that to them, also like other people have pointed out football is mainly a guy sport. It could've been a moment, a dumb one where it came out wrong. If you seen his apology video he makes note of that. Also they are giving two different stories of their meeting in private, In my opinion I don't think he would talk to her privately if he was going to be "worse" to her by her account. Besides @ColiBreh1 already pointed out from a past tweet she kind of had a problem with him not knowing her name.

I agree with you on the n-word (NIGGA spelling.). But I don't give white people a pass for saying it knowing how people are going to react or overreact, but maybe she is that dumbfounded. As far as her tweeting about her racist dad, I was going to tweet what you said this morning, but I was going to add the fact that she NEVER clarified it and deleted the tweets then gave that sarcastic apology 4/5 years after the fact tells me she shares some of his racist feelings or give him a pass because he is her dad. That also can happen with people that have racist or bigoted parents where it's kind of acceptable because that's their parents. I have seen people go in about their parents being racist on twitter(most of them date black guys.) and not be that blank.

I'm now moving to how the media is blowing it out of proportion. Craig Melvin said this morning it's nice to see people at least apologize, let's move on. After taking more time to view both of their remarks and interaction, my conclusion is they don't like each other, let's move on. lol.