Crisis of Faith

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Bookworm616, Jun 28, 2015.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I like what Since1980 said earlier in this thread. I have tremendous respect for people who are led to a belief system after serious reflection and a sense of moral conviction. And I say this as a lifelong atheist. My family is mostly Catholic, Episcopal and A.M.E. and I have seen that religions, especially Catholicism, are as much cultural as spiritual endeavors. There are many people who approach religion from that standpoint and are not judgmental or hateful toward others. You can definitely believe and not be lumped in with that group of crazies. In fact, the more deeply spiritual a person becomes, the less likely they are to be so hate-filled. So much of what we're seeing in the media now is really reactionary identity politics, with only a casual link to religion.

2. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Not to mention an attempt to drum up votes and support. I strongly doubt that the people screaming the loudest actually feel that way but I'm cynical as hell so take what I say with a grain of salt.

3. orejon4

Wasn't that Sean Hannity that was overheard on a live mic saying something like "Don't they know this is an act?" and laughing? They're in the outrage business and their business is manipulating sheep.

4. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I hope they listen to him.

Thank you, Since. This was exactly my point.

I was never having a crisis of actual faith. I've had too many experiences in my life that have shown me there is more to life than what we live on this Earth, for that.

My point was I don't want to be "guilt by association" and I apologize if I didn't make that clear enough in my original post.

5. Bookworm616

This was always my thought, as well.

But, in recent days, it appears that the ones who at least claim to the rest of the world that they're deeply religious are the ones who are screaming the loudest about how horrible this world has become because the Supreme Court is allowing gay marriage.

It's a huge contradiction and I'm having a hard time understanding how on the one hand they proclaim how Jesus is love and on the other hand they proclaim that God will smite America.

It makes absolutely no sense and it bothers me that they're the ones seemingly giving Christianity its voice during these times.

Christians who ARE about love and see that religion has to change with the times are being too silent. (Or the media doesn't want to give them any air/print time because that wouldn't make for good ratings or good click-bait.)

6. orejon4

Have you ever thought of looking into some of the groups or congregations that are just as vocal in a less judgmental way? I have seen some admirable work being done by believers that reject the shrill tone of the 'crazies' out there. It's a shame that those extreme voices have been allowed to hijack religion.

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Real christians are accepting or tolerant.

Me...i say "yes homosexuality is a sin but i be darn if im going to condemn them and discriminate against them cause they are human beings. They deserve all the human rites i have"

I dont think for the most part there should be religous based laws in place.we should be careful with that act.

We shouldnt be ashamed if being christian...we should shame the people who pervert the word.

8. Bookworm616

LOVE this. I will start looking at it this way. :smt023

I'd rep you if I could.

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

This is better than a rep.

10. orejon4

When the 'gay gene' is definitively isolated and people are proven to be born this way, I wonder what the hatemongers will say then, after making a career out of demonizing people who have no control over their orientation?

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Come on now....they cant acknowledge the truth about the confederate flag.

In all honesty i would doubt it. My thing is as long as its two consenting adults....knock yourself out

12. Bookworm616

:freehug:

Hmmm...this is a tough one. I'm not sure the ones spouting the hatred for gay marriage are ones that believe in science.

It will be interesting to watch what happens with that, though.

13. orejon4

Good point.