Colleges offering segregated Safe Space Housing for Black Student

Discussion in 'In the News' started by ColiBreh1, Sep 8, 2016.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Is it that dangerous there that people feel in physical danger?

2. LA

LA Well-Known Member

If you're referring to Cal State LA, then I would say, "No!"

3. orejon4

To me, that would be justification for a safe space. Other than that, I don't see the need for single race housing unless a race riot is constantly on the verge of breaking out and they need to keep everyone separated. But I do support people having their own choice of roommate.

4. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Agreed.

5. orejon4

Are you meditating in that avatar pic?

6. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

He looks like me, doesn't he?

7. orejon4

I seriously thought that was a pic of you that you had photoshopped into some sort of meditation-themed background.

8. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the movie Higher Learning lol.

9. orejon4

I agree. I heard a news item on NPR today about U of Chicago's refusal to offer a safe space and they fleshed out more of what they take it to mean. From the university's point of view, it's just about an environment of censoring ideas that make people uncomfortable on campus.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw that movie in my college sociology class. We discussed the film including Michael Rappaport's character and his sad transformation from friendly, easy going guy to racist skinhead, back to being what he was before dying after shooting a black woman and a white woman on campus. Our instructor worked a lot with young members of gangs.

One day she told us of the time she and her group took some kids on an outing in the park. One of the boys walked over to a fence. On the other side was a small group boys. The boys on both sides of the fence communicated silently by the use of gangs sign language. The language became threatening. My instructor went over to the boy and took him away before things got worse.

11. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Interesting, I'd recommend freedom writers as a movie she could show her class, if she hasn't already.

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Higher Learning came out in the 90's and we saw it when it first came out on video at the time.

13. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Did any of y'all watch the backdoor pilot episode of "Black-ish" that aired last week (Season 3, Episode 23)?:

The main storyline of the episode ended up being about the black students trying to save the black dorm halls from integrated with the rest of the student population.

EDIT:

[​IMG] Yo this IMDB episode description is totally misleading about what the episode about: