China Bans Hip-Hop Culture From TV

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Thump, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Digital file. Better? Lol

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

No lol these kids stream shit on YouTube and Spotify. Chances are you'll never really know what they listen to

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I can block it tho. :D

4. The Dark King

Lol fair enough

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Yeah you will. If they are anything like my kids, they'll blast shit over their phones without earbuds while they are in the kitchen doing shit or in the shower. Nevermind if they are in their rooms when they think they are the only one at home at certain times jamming out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Don't forget about Soundcloud. All the young upcoming rappers nowadays make their name on Soundcloud 1st. Such as...

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Oh hell naw. Where do these idiots come from? Are they bath salt babies? I'm blocking all sites that offer these apps and treating soundcloud like malware. I don't want my nephew listening to this trash either.

8. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Truth! Rockers sing about drugs and sex just as much as rappers do. It's just more acceptable coming from a white face because Rock is viewed as being more artistic than Rap.

9. samson1701

I'm not worried about that at all. It's time for black people to create a new form of music, anyway. Ever 20 or 30 years we come up with something new that changes music completely. We're about due.

Hip-hop should be entering it's "grown folks" music phase soon. Once that happens, it's only a matter of time before something new replaces it. I'm anxious to hear how that "something" will sound.

10. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

LOL!
    My older one is just four, he gets a stool to reach the CD Player and blasts Nigerian Afrobeat/RnB through the house. He knows exactly what he likes and what he doesn’t. Every now and then I have to take the cable away and hide itwhen it gets out of hands or he doesn’t listen when I tell them it’s enough.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

We've lucked out. Our two (16 yr olds) lean towards old school/classic R&B/Soul and 80's-90's Hip Hop (more than likely because that's what myself & their mother have always listened to around the house & in the car since they were babies and before they were around). They do listen to the newer stuff though, but default back to the older stuff. More variety in styles/individual personalities/voices compared to the current R&B/Trap/Rap out now. (Their words, not mine).

12. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Now hip hop is going to reach legendary heights in popularity in China.

13. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

The "white people do it too" defense. Never heard that before!

14. samson1701

Not a defense at all. Just pointing out a truth. I'm not a fan of Trap or even Hip-hop in any big way. I can take it or leave it.

I've just dislike that it's always our music that gets the blame until it becomes their music. Then it's all about artistic freedom.

I'm also not a believer in the notion of changing the music changes the culture thereby changing a child's behavior. Show me in history where that's ever worked.

You want to change the music? Change the culture. But, no one wants to do that heavy lifting. So, the default stance is to attack the music. Which only makes the music that much more popular.

Music is only a reflectiom in a mirror. You can change or even cover the mirror. But unless you change the object in front of the mirror, that reflection stays the same.

15. The Dark King

Come on fam be fair and honest.
    When black people were only listening to jazz and going to church as their social interactions they were still burning churches they were still lynching people. Enough of the respectability nonsense. And honestly who is that shit for anyway. Black people behave so whites and other non blacks look at you as non threatening? They never for one second ever needed a reason to hate us our existence is reason enough.

16. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

So propaganda is "powerful" ... but our music has no responsibility for the attitudes it's shaping among black youth? Can you see the flaw in your thinking there?

"Burden of respectability?" Get white people out of your head dude.

More like: Burden of not glamorizing shit that encourages kids to make that first mistake that gets them in the system... Burden of not glamorizing shit that makes black neighborhoods unlivable because you're ducking crossfire & don't want to be a strange face in a gang warzone... Burden of not glamorizing mercenary attitudes, pimpism, "I don't give a fuck-ism", "bad-bitchism" etc.

These rappers should respect their responsibility to stop glamorizing degenerate values, period. "White people" aren't part of this discussion... "White" culture isn't the benchmark, isn't the high-water mark...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  17. medullaslashin

How did you manage to get it exactly backward? "You want to change the music? Change the culture" is exactly backward because music is a powerful tool for changing culture. Music can reinforce positive values and outlook just as it reinforces degenerate shit. You should be saying "You want to change the culture? Change the music (and other mass media)."

Governments around the world know the power of media for affecting culture, so please don't argue with me. Our music is the only media we control, and hip-hoppers of today are selling us down the river with the backward values they portray.

You can't say "change the culture" and write off the power of media (such as music) in changing cultural values. China knows this, which is why they're clamping down on what they regard as degenerate media.

Seriously? You mean "christians" don't listen to gospel music to reinforce their cultural values? Whole cultures don't develop around music, such as goth, metal, jazz, hip hop, etc.? Nations at war don't use music to rally their people behind the cause? Reggae didn't help make rastas (including white rastas)? C'mon. No stranger on the internet should have to school you to the power of music in reinforcing cultural values, both positive and negative.

China knows it. You should too.

18. medullaslashin

Don't take it for granted bro. Black people seem to be losing their "soul" lately.

Yes it is extraordinary that every generation or so the youth come up with a musical genre that echos round the world... but black culture of today ain't what it used to be, in all kinds of ways.

19. medullaslashin

Rockers don't sing about gang murders and gang drama and abject materialism, etc. anywhere near the frequency of rappers.

And their root cultures can afford the degeneracy they sing about, unlike black culture, which has been limping and confused since before the crack epidemic.

And now we're in the age of trump. Wait for that other shoe to drop. :^/

20. medullaslashin

hhahhaha. Let's worry about the "lynching" we should be able to stop on our own, such as gang violence... And the "respectability" we can boost on our own, such as the respect we should have for each other, including the innocent little children, the old people, etc. who shouldn't have to run to other communities for safety (neighborhoods that don't want to see them coming)... :^/

Get white people out of your head dude...