Chicago: Experiencing Shootings every week, Going Unnoticed

Discussion in 'In the News' started by tropolis, Mar 21, 2012.

1. K

K Well-Known Member

We took most of the trades out of public schools in the 90s. They were shifted to private vocational schools that are very costly now. This was a huge mistake for so many different reasons.

2. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Terrible terrible idea. oh and another thing I tell the youngsters to do is to NOT to go to for profit schools like uti.

I know people that didn't listen to me and are now 20,000 bucks in debt to UTI. I'm like dude go to the local college and get your vehicle technician trade for like 2000. For profit schools should be shut the fuck down. Many employers actually don't respect them and their "degrees". They are predatory and should be called out nationally for preying on the poor

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well l think that Black boys still deserve an education they can relate to. The way our black boys go, so does the country. No one should be disadvantaged and maybe soon with the demographics of Hispanic children this conversation will apply to them, but the drop out rate is high and in asking these teen boys why, it's a fundamental alienation and inability to relate to the ciriculum. They asked for more historical figures who looked like them..school was boring to them and yes, too "white".
    We have boys schools, girls schools, school for the gifted.. why not school for Black males who are taught and mentored by the best black male teachers... Teach them trades and science and black history, not just slavery but their ancestral history, Timbuktu, mathematics African history..it's soo rich but it gets ignored and lost in the mainstream.

4. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

So you're talking segregation? Cmon! I would say make the curriculum more diverse for ALL students and those parents that don't like it can homeschool their children

5. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Very True. Blaming children is just ignorant to humanity. They don't understand just exactly what a child is nor care. Children learn the most from observation, they understand from what is taught to them. If a child repeats a curse word you can't blame that child you have to instill in them that you don't don't use that word, they are still learning the difference between right and wrong.

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

No segregation is teaching the same curriculum. Schools are pretty segregated now.
    I'm talking boys separate. An education they can relate to, enjoy and benefit from.
    I know it will never happen because too many will see it as you did and it's the furthest from the thing l meant.

7. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I think some schools are unintentionally segregated, I went to an mostly white school because of where my community/neighborhood I lived in was. I was 2 of only 3 black kids at my school and the only black boy.

8. K

K Well-Known Member

Unfortunately many of the JCs don't have those programs any more either. I know out here many of the programs are only available at the private vocational schools and they are a huge rip.

9. K

K Well-Known Member

This is something ALL children need.

In California they are overhauling social studies to include all the LGBT stuff, but they are still going along with not including anything about internment, avoiding anything about slavery, etc.

It's a matter of money and who has it to push their agenda.

(by the way - some of us homeschool our children because they are not provided with enough diversity in the public schools)

10. K

K Well-Known Member

We need incentives to bring Black men into the classrooms.

11. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Don't know about the jc where you are from but the ones here most def have them. Truck driving electrical plumbing hvac etc etc

12. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Wow you love holding on to that don't you. I was uncomfortable in a high crime area. That's actually normal. How do you think a person should handle it big bad Bliss.

13. K

K Well-Known Member

California has cut most of them out. They've moved to the private vocational schools. But then some of them have expanded other programs that were more in the vocational schools such as Respiratory Therapy, culinary, etc.

14. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

What's the cost?

15. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

We need incentives to bring all disadvantaged youth in the classroom.

But, we also need to teach their parents the importance of school and taking an active interest in their education and making sure the kids stay in school.

It's a complex problem that requires everyone working together.

16. The Dark King

Their parents need jobs to feed them and keep a roof over their heads. These people are stressed the fuck out they don't need morality lessons.

17. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

And how do you propose they get jobs without an education? Being HS dropouts, which many are, doesn't give you a whole lot of employment options.

And where are the jobs? They aren't in those communities because those communities tend to be high crime and stores, etc get robbed all the time.

It's a vicious cycle. There is NO EASY ANSWER. But, it has to start somewhere.

Families need to band together to support each other.

My stepson was in danger of being held back for the second time in elementary school until I stepped in. His sorry excuse for a mother and her family let him run amok. Let him play video games instead of doing his homework. Let him not go to school if he didn't want to.

I stepped in, moved him in with his father. And guess what? Not only did he not get held back again, he graduated HS on the honor roll. Why? Because someone in his life gave a shit about him and made him do his fucking homework before playing video games and didn't let him not go to school.

Like it or not, it starts in the home. Families need to band together and support the children. Schools are free. Lunches are free. There's no reason why these kids cannot be in school and there's no reason why their parents can't encourage them to fucking do their damn homework and fucking stay in school.

It's all just fucking excuses. When attendance goes up, guess what? Kids do better in school! There's only so much a teacher can do to get these kids to show up. There are stories of teachers calling the kid's home and even going to the home to get the kids in school. But, they can only do so much without help from the kid's parents/guardians.

18. K

K Well-Known Member

There's a huge difference when you grow up in an environment where you don't see people who you look like succeeding. It makes a huge difference to have solid role models, people modeling good behavior and showing the ways to succeed.

It's a generational issue. The parents aren't seeing the value in education because they didn't have the support to be successful in school. When they are overwhelmed with trying to get food on the table and being able to have their kids cared for so they can find a job, school is seen as a luxury.

Your little story about your stepson doesn't even begin to equate to others. How many of the other children have a white stepmom who has the ability to step in and take over in the ways that you did? We are talking about people who don't have a stable place to live, not enough food to eat, and they are facing real violence every day of their lives. Clearly, it was not the same for your stepson. You mention his sorry excuse for a mother....I guess you aren't aware of how many parents out there are really good people who are working many hours and may struggle with the logistics of how to make sure their kids are taken care of and taken to and from school.

I really have to wonder how much time you have actually spent with people who are out there struggling, let alone ever had to deal with any of it yourself. You paint a picture of spoiled privileged people with extended family, which is not the reality of people who deal with homelessness, having enough food, and chronic poverty. Video games? please.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  19. The Dark King

You saved me a post
    I know people like her and Paniro have an image of people just pulling it together and just getting on with it but don't really think about the variables you listed because they never had to feel it. People who have support systems really don't grasp how important that is. I do agree with Bookie there is no easy solution but one thing I do know just pushing it on people to figure out for themselves never works. Look at the crack epidemic more morality pushing, just stop using drugs just say no. Funny that when the drugs were meth and the victims were white suburban kids we finally realized a support system is necessary to help them. It wasn't left to them to just figure it out.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

How bad was it? Iv'e been in a few of them buildings where there are a ridiculous amount of floors and you just take the stairs on the way down because the elevator takes forever. There is left over trash in the stairways from where people were hanging out and rolling blunts lol.

It wasn't anywhere like that was it?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016