Charleston church shooting: 9 killed in what officials call a hate crime

Discussion in 'In the News' started by alioufall, Jun 18, 2015.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

2. K

K Well-Known Member

3. K

K Well-Known Member

[youtube]watch?v=RK7tYOVd0Hs[/youtube]

4. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Obama should just do his speeches in a church. Got to be the best speech so far this year.

5. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

I always thought Obama would make a great preacher and has proven me right. The Reverend President Obama :cool:

6. orejon4

Is anyone put off by POTUS' speaking style and gospel singing? I'm torn. On one hand, I view it as effective speaking, but on the other, I feel like he's walking a fine line between sympathizing and exploitation. The history of people of African descent in this country renders many of us extremely susceptible to religious appeals and manipulation.

7. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be torn. It is not unusual to do what the romans do to get what you want. In this particular case, it is for a good cause.

There are many white politicians that do the same. Hillary talked with a southern accent with a bunch of white southerners. Mitt Romney tried grits. Bill Clinton played the sax and did a bunch crap that I don't consider black but a lot african Americans do.

8. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

If he had gone all erudite he wouldnt have connected with the crowd, he had to do the baptist preacher talk to hit home and it obviously did hit home. I am guilty of speaking and writing ebonics when communicating with you guys sometimes but in real life i sound English even though i can speak with a decent American accent:cool:

9. orejon4

I don't like to be pandered to. Full stop. I will tell someone in a minute "Hey I have a brain. I can reason." You're right, though. I see them doing that to white southerners too. Not so much with northerners or academics. I wonder if it's specific to that region and a shared black southern experience?

Perhaps I'm just too sensitive about it. It makes me feel as if there is no respect for black intellect.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Early in Bill Clinton's campaign, I remember seeing Hillary on a show on BET. She spoke as if she was down with the black women. During Ronald Reagan's presidency, he and Nancy visited a black church and it was televised. Nancy got into the spirit and walked up to the altar clapping as the choir sung and walked back.

11. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

It's ALL a horse and pony show. Every last bit of it.

The populace needs to step back and ask why these politician's do it, instead of getting sucked into these scams. Unfortunately, too many people fall for it every single time.

There just aren't as many critical thinkers in America as there should be, and we're a lesser country because of it.

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Well said!

13. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

I personally don't think so. Black people are known for certain things, the way our preacher's preach in church, Ebonics among other things and it is because it is a black thing and not because we are dumb.
    Obama found his blackness in church because unlike a lot of black folk in america, his black part of the family was half way across the world in Africa and spoke languages he would not find intelligible coupled with the fact that he was raised in white settings by white people.
    He understands black congregation and spoke to them in a language that would not only connect to the congregation but black people who went to black churches and were watching. He would never spontaneously sing Amazing Grace in another setting or speak like a baptist preacher under different circumstances.
    This was personal to him, he was a black man who had experienced what it was to be black in America, he is a father of two daughters and would have put himself in the shoes of Rev. Clementa Pinckney and wondered how his wife would have felt if it were him. He spoke from the heart and knew the audience he wanted to connect with. This is not a slight on the intelligence of black people at all.
    We should not forget that he is a consummate politician as well and knows when to adapt to a particular situation to have the desired effect.
    The applause he has gotten for that eulogy from everyone is testament to the fact that he made the right decision.:cool:

14. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

So @Paniro187 was really defending this dude?

15. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Exactly.

He's a terrorist. I don't give a fuck what Loki and paniro say. Btw Webster's dictionary agrees with me.

16. ColiBreh1

What did Loki say?

17. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Loki was trying to play that lawyer bs and say the law doesn't call him a terrorist.

My point was "what does the dictionary say? "

If legally make what roof did as terrorism then people like him would be treated as such

18. ColiBreh1

smh at @Loki. If Dylan Roof was non-white, the media wouldn't hesitate to call him a terrorist & conservative media/politicians/internet trolls would be claiming he's part of ISIS.

Y'all do realize before 9/11, domestic right-wing terrorists were considered the biggest terrorist threats to the U.S.? Seeing how the last several years have played out, they need to be considered the #1 threat once again. Also most of these white dudes shooting up places & holding up federal buildings all just happen to have racist/white supremacists views. The mainstream media usually goes out of its way to not report that fact or they downplay it. They couldn't with Dylann Roof though.

So any black person defending them especially Dylan Roof you just gotta look at them crazy.

19. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Remember Loki was talking law versus what's right

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

What are you talking about GL? I NEVER defended this murderous scum in ANY way and I certainly NEVER agreed with Paniro.