Charleston church shooting: 9 killed in what officials call a hate crime

Discussion in 'In the News' started by alioufall, Jun 18, 2015.

1. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

No remorse, acts as his own lawyer, found mentally competent, & makes absolutely no argument to try to avoid the death penalty.

He probably still won't get the death penalty...

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Again we know what it is now it's time to act accordingly

3. medullaslashin

Surprise surprise! Death penalty for Dylan.

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Christmas came early for 2017. :D

5. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

What are we talking about here christmas 2030?

That man will be probably be in prison for so long that we will have forgotten about him. Meanwhile taxpayers will be paying the bill and homeless people will be dying on the streets who needed that money.
    no one wins

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Some prisoners work. I wonder how others just leech off the system? They should give him a choice to work at least five days a week and 8-12 hours a day or be put in general population.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

If Roof committed this horrendous act in Texas other than South Carolina, he would be executed as soon as 10-15 years. It costs a lot of money to execute criminals.

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Sweet, sweet story...( the best, actually) :cool:

Dylann Roof attacked in Jail.

Report: Dylann Roof attacker's jail cell was unlocked for 12 hours; no formal reprimand

• Feb 4, 2017 Updated Feb 5, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Dwayne Marion Stafford, now 26, was not charged in his shower stall attack on Dylann Roof at the Charleston County jail. Cannon Detention Center/Provided

An unlocked cell door at the Charleston County jail went unnoticed for 12 hours until an inmate walked through it and attacked mass killer Dylann Roof, an investigative report revealed.

Officials attributed the error to employees' complacency rather than a lack of standardized procedures to ensure doors in the jail's protective custody unit stay locked.

But none of the three deputies faulted for policy violations were reprimanded in the August assault that left Roof with minor bruises. No policies or procedures were created or adjsted.

A policy cannot be written for every component of the job, Maj. Eric Watson of the Charleston County Sheriff's Office said. Correctional deputies are trained on the basic requirements of their post and schooled in various policies to prevent dangerous situations behind bars, Watson said, but they can be lulled by the quiet of a unit such as the one holding Roof.

Everyone involved in the episode denied playing a conscious role, though one deputy acknowledged doing nothing after being informed that the attacker's door had been left open. ( :) )
    He was fired for an unrelated incident.

The findings were laid out in a nine-page report by internal investigators released last week to The Post and Courier.

"In that environment, you tend to become complacent. They kind of forgot about these policies they were supposed to adhere to," Watson said. "At the end of the day, it’s our responsibility to protect inmates regardless of why they’re in jail."

Roof, 22, had carried out one of the deadliest hate crimes in recent American history a year earlier, in June 2015. The white supremacist opened fire during a Bible study at Emanuel AME Church, killing nine black worshippers. A federal jury sentenced him to death last month.

Barney Barnes, a retired jail administrator who helped start the Naval Consolidated Brig in Hanahan, complimented the sheriff's internal probe, which included polygraph examinations. He said officers' complacency and inmates' noncompliance tend to create situations like these, but it's important for jailers to learn from them.

"The idea of having everyone following all policies and procedures 24-7 is ideal, but you’re dealing with humans," Barnes said. "When incidents like this happen ... you have to use it as a training event so it doesn't happen again. "

The report revealed that the attacker, Dwayne Stafford of Goose Creek, had likely jammed open his cell door.

The 26-year-old was released before investigators could talk with him. An influx of public donations paid his bail. In a recent interview with local activist group Black Collective, Stafford credited divine intervention but shed no light on his flight from his cell.

"I feel as if (Roof) should get beat up every day," he said. "How I feel caused God to have me get out that cell. There are other people in that unit who could get out their cells any time they want, if they did certain things. I didn't do certain things.

"My door freakin' opened."

Doors 'pop open'

With Roof's arrest a day after his murderous tear in Charleston, it became apparent that the Cannon Detention Center would face a challenge ensuring he made it safely to trial. He was sent to the jail's "special management unit" for his own protection.

Sheriff Al Cannon expected close adherence to policy.

"We all received that direction," Watson said. "But the communication down at that level broke down."

Stafford had been jailed since January 2015 on robbery and assault charges, unable to pay $100,000 bail. He was on suicide watch. Roof arrived June 18 that year.

Their stays were uneventful for months, but the investigative report described in detail how that changed.

For 13 hours on June 25, Stafford's door was unlocked. An electronic indicator panel should have shown that, but none of the deputies saw it.

There have been times, a deputy later noted, when the panel was wrong. That June 25 instance, though, passed without trouble.

But Stafford's door, according to the electronic logs, was left unlocked again starting at 7:17 p.m. Aug. 3.

A few hours later, an inmate approached Deputy Christopher Murray and said, "The boys are jamming the door up there," nodding toward Stafford's cell. The unidentified inmate said others had kicked at the door, testing a "jamming technique."

Murray described Stafford as "loud and boisterous" that night. But he didn't check for jammed doors or pass the intelligence on to the next shift.

Inmates are known to shove clothes or toilet paper into door locks to prevent them from latching, jail experts said, but correctional officers typically check the doors by hand. A sock would be found in Stafford's doorway after the attack, though Watson wouldn't confirm it had jammed the lock.

"It's not uncommon for inmates," Watson said. "They have 24 hours to figure out ways to get around things."

Indeed, deputies reported seeing doors just "pop open" sometimes.

'Told you so'

Nearly 11 hours went by with Stafford's door unlocked when Deputy Bobbie Johnson walked around the unit. Stafford and Roof, she said, were sleeping.

Though Stafford's door registered as unlocked on the electronic panel, neither Johnson nor the fellow deputy working then, Gerald Joye, said they saw it. Technicians who later examined the door found nothing wrong.

Joye offered Roof some "recreation time," the one-hour period when inmates in the unit can walk around or shower. Before Roof emerged, Joye said he and Johnson checked the cell doors.

He pulled on Stafford's, and it didn't budge. That was a sign that something was wrong, investigators said. If the door were unlocked, it would have opened. It it were locked, it would have moved slightly but stayed shut.

Stafford was standing against the cell door, which Joye figured kept it from moving. The deputy said he didn't ask Stafford to move because inmates typically tell him to "(expletive) off" when he gives orders.

Johnson then took a break despite a policy requiring two deputies on duty during recreation time. She didn't know that, she told investigators.

Roof walked out of his cell at 7:19 a.m. Aug. 4, a towel on his shoulder.

Ten minutes later, another inmate asked for some toilet paper; it remains unknown if that inmate had anything to do with the scheme. Joye fetched a roll. After Joye walked upstairs to deliver it, Stafford pushed open his cell door and rushed down the steps.

Stafford ran to the shower and punched Roof's face and back. Joye ran back downstairs and pulled them apart. Stafford struggled at first but gave up when backup arrived.

The deputies ushered Stafford back to his cell and locked his door.

That night, the inmate who had warned Murray about Stafford's door said, "I told you so."

'Just evil'
    Four deputies were grilled during polygraph examinations, which they passed. Each vehemently denied allowing the attack.

Murray was faulted for "unsatisfactory performance." But he also acknowledged during the polygraph an unrelated incident in which he used a computer to look up a female inmate for a male inmate. He was placed on leave and later fired, Watson said.

Johnson was determined to have violated policies for leaving her duty post. Her supervisor, Sgt. Anthony Williams, was blamed for allowing such breaks. He defended the deputies' actions.

"He felt the assault on (Roof) could have happened to anyone," the report stated. "He also felt having two detention deputies in the unit was not a guarantee (that) the assault would not have occurred."

The deputies were told about the policies and how to do security checks. They were not otherwise reprimanded.

"It's routine," Watson said of jail work. "Complacency is an easy element to fall prey to. It's very important ... to stay on top of your game."

Though already convicted of federal crimes, Roof will stay in the county jail until his state murder charges are resolved. Prosecutors are expected to soon decide how to pursue the case.

Stafford hasn't returned to jail since his release — his longest stretch of freedom since 2011. He recalled in the recent interview how he and Roof would discuss philosophical beliefs.

He made no apology for what he did to Roof.

"He ain't crazy," Stafford said. "He just evil."

[​IMG] http://www.postandcourier.com/churc...cle_39d5ee4c-e709-11e6-b4ac-b32a5368e884.html

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  10. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Roof is a lowlife homicidal killer, but what those deputies did was dirty. They knew they were setting up Roof to be killed by other inmates and that's not what incarceration is supposed to be about.

You can't cheer some dirty ass deputies taking the law into their own hands by deliberately jeopardizing the life of Roof, then get mad when the same thing happens to an inmate when he happens to piss off deputies because he's cussing and cursing too much.

Vigilante justice by law enforcement officers is always wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • List
  11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Same with Jeffrey Dahmer...they made their beds, now they lie in them.. Some crimes are so heinous in their intent, l feel no mercy for homicidal killers who showed none themselves.

12. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

First time we've agreed in years.
    We refuse to feed poor people but this dude gets life long free meals and medical care? Nope suffer
    It's not like his innocence is questionable he admitted to murdering people in a church who were kind to him. That's a new kind of low. Someone like that should not be breathing.

13. MightyLighty

MightyLighty Well-Known Member

That's one double standard I'm cool with!!!!!

14. andreboba

So if you were a surgeon and Roof was brought to you with life threatening injuries, you would refuse to treat him??

COs do some dirty shit to inmates in prison. Excusing their behavior because Roof probably deserves to die IMO is just as bad when inmates from rival gangs aren't isolated and allowed to fight and kill each other because the COs think it's entertaining.

We're a nation of laws and Roof's fate has already been decided, even though I principally am opposed to the death penalty.
    That doesn't mean we stone convicted murderers to death, or allow them to be torn apart by packs of vicious dogs.

Most people would have killed Dylan Roof themselves to save the lives of those parishioners, but once he's gone through the legal system, giving him extra punishment because he's a bad guy leaves open the door to over punish non-murderers because a deputy or CO feels like it.
    Just my take.

There are no judges or cameras in prison and most inmates are at the mercy of their deputies and COs. These cops can literally hold the life and death of these inmates at their discretion which to me is way too much authority.

We're hearing about what happened to Roof because he's famous.
    There are inmates dying everyday under suspicious circumstances just because a CO decided it was his right to decide whether an inmate should breathe air tomorrow.

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I had heard about a murder investigation where some COs were involved. The investigation revealed that the victim,an inmate, was thrown from four floors and was severely kicked. Boot prints matched those of COs. One of the officers charged in the murder was someone I knew and I was surprised. He was a D-1 Sergeant(the highest ranking sergeant of the prison) when I was in Florida State Prison. When he was charged, he was a Captain. I thought given how hard he worked to be promoted, he would've known better. I think he and the other officers are in either solitary confinement or the protective custody wing.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You do make a compelling argument overall.
    (Btw, prisons have cameras everywhere).

Not sure the surgeon analogy works.. Yes l would help him (reluctantly) if brought to me, but you're implying the CO's beat him up. They did not.

Leaving a door open, intentional or not, does not mean they compelled his attacker to leave his cell and go beat him up.( hence my horse water analogy).

Furthermore, a sock was found in Stafford's lock, and a prisoner alerted a CO that his fellow inmates were jamming their locks.
    It also wasn't the first time Stafford's door remained unlocked and nothing happened then.
    As the CO rep said, this is common (out of boredom)..prisoners trying to jam locks. Stafford's door wasn't the first to be unlocked.

So in the end, l believe Stafford planned it, and the CO's were complacent that day due to routine procedures.

Additionally, Stafford, who was suicidal, had his bail paid, he credits God, and hasn't been back to jail for his longest stretch ever. Win-win all around I say.

17. andreboba

My only comment is prisons and jails DO NOT have cams everywhere, especially in 4 to 6 man cell blocks.

Once you're in lockup for an extended stretch in the main jail, the only record of what happens to you is the word of your deputy/guard/CO.
    At least in the Commonwealth.

18. medullaslashin

100% with you there andre. Letting guards do dirty shit like that is a slippery, slippery slope.

Today it's Roof, tomorrow it's BLM protesters, or someone who finds himself behind bars for daring to resist der fuhrer drumpf...

I've read that shit like this used to go on in the '60s... Guards would allow (or even order) inmates to assault protesters who found themselves behind bars.

Don't get me wrong, I fully approve of what the assaulter did... What is our criminal element good for if not stuff like that? If Roof was in g.p. he should be very afraid, and it would be fucked up if he had nothing to fear.

...But the guards are different. We shouldn't be willing to approve officers' dirty deeds over a piece of shit like Roof.

19. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

Your logic and moral sense is as usual...spot on....... but I have to respectfully disagree this time....My carnal side craves a brutal form of revenge for Dylan Roof......Particularly because he savaged our very best.......He targeted Black folk who took him in and prayed for him and he could find no sympathy in his heart to spear their lives.....If Dylan Roof was brutalized everyday leading up to his execution, It be just fine with me.......Hail to Dwayne Marion Stafford.........

20. andreboba

Just saying, that blade of vigilante justice cuts both ways, and more often than not it slays the innocent.

Emmit Till was murdered because 'righteous' vigilantes thought they were defending the honor of Southern White women by murdering a young Black boy who committed no crime, except for being born the wrong skin color, according to those muderous racists.

For me, it's all about my opposition to the death penalty. Which doesn't mean if I had a 9mm in that church and had an opportunity to put Roof down before he killed anyone, I would have done it.

However once the legal system takes over, I think it's in everyone's best interest we uphold the rule of law, which means we don't allow corrections officers to decide which inmates deserve to die.