Random media commentary

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Shonda Rhimes is leaving ABC and heading to Netflix.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

T.I always sticking his nose in, lol..

[​IMG]

3. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I remember when they cast the black chick and I though here's a black British actress plucked from obscurity (she doesn't have much of a body of work) to be given a lead role of a franchise film....and its her first Hollywood movie. And I wondered to myself at the time if there have ever been a black guy given such an opportunity like that. I can't think of one. And then I see this trailer and the poster and they made the chick even more prominent than I thought they would. Wow. The movie could end up being horrible but that is still an impressive get.

Also going from the original TV series to the first films to this current movie (I'm not going to bother to include the short-lived second TV series), this franchise has gone from three white chicks to two white chicks and an Asian lady to one white chick and two women of color (albeit biracial). Now I'm wondering if any similar male led franchise has ever given white guys that type of demotion over time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

5. JamalSpunky

6. ColiBreh1

Welp, #NotMyAeriel is the #2 trending topic on Twitter right now: https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotMyAriel?src=tren&data_id=tweet:1146923734378397697

7. JamalSpunky

You have both sides going after each other . But I think we may have finally gotten a breaking point (or at least have arrived at the beginning of said breaking point) for not just white members of the non-Woke Club but for many non-white folks of that ilk as well. Along with some moderates and even some progressive people of all stripes. Enough is enough with this inclusion business. Yeah, plenty of people are going t be for it but those numbers could have been greater if it was more than just black women benefiting from high profile racebend casting. Still it confounds me that every time something like this happens the folks on the internet keep using a "what if we made T'Challa white" as an example of retaliation. Look, it ain't black me taking established white roles from white men; its black women taking roles from white women. So save your ire for them. They should be writing instead what if a white actress was chosen to play Storm.

Anyway people are sick of this. The fact that Zendaya and some other black chick have been rumored to be the two possible choices for Ariel and that a third black actress, one with hardly any experience, won the role tells me its another scenario in which Disney had made up its mind to going with a black Ariel a while ago and therefor limited the casting competition to black ladies alone. But now Disney has a problem because there is an acute backlash growing. I'm certain that those on Disney's side will go to the media to shame the "haters" for being against this innocent little black girl, holing to quiet the naysayers. However that may not be enough this time around. I can seriously see this as hurting the box office because a lot of the once presumed audience will now stay away. Black people may think that they can counter that loss if they show up in droves but good luck with that because outside Black Panther and Jordan Peele films, black audiences ain't reliable enough. in America black percentage of the over all moviegoers is now consistently a distant third to whites (#1) and Hispanics (#2), with Asians gaining quickly from the fourth spot, sometimes jumping ahead of blacks for that third spot. Latinos have a legit argument to make about Hollywood catering to African Americans when its Latinos who are more consistent and reliable customers.

This movie could have survived most of the coming onslaught in Zendaya had bee chosen simply because she is becoming an actual star. But no one knows the new girl

Wait. Updated to point out that the hashtag is meant to be somewhat sarcastic and is in support of a black Ariel. That makes sense. Woke twitter is louder and more active than the other side. But feelings on twitter don't come close to representing all the varying opinions.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. JamalSpunky

Let me add there has also been a bunch of Twitter chatter about who should play Eric the love interest with Woke Twitter throwing out names of white actors and Asian dudes from Korean band boy groups. No black dudes allowed apparently.

9. ColiBreh1

LOL, elsewhere we immediately assumed (& joked about) since yesterday that Eric is gonna be played white/non-black dude. Predictably this is what the "woke representation matters" crowd wants. I have no problem with this at all & I hope it happens. I look at this way, the more representation of BW IRRs, the less BM (& the general public) can take them seriously when they whine about who BM are involved with or what our preferences are in women like they've been doing the last week. This is main reason I also want Kamala Harris to win the 2020 Democratic party nomination.

• List
  10. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Would any black male actor really touch this?

11. JamalSpunky

Of course. It would mean getting a leading role in a tentpole, albeit ill-conceived, motion picture. Those opportunities don't come often for young black actors.

12. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I'm calling it now. The Little Mermaid where they casted a black girl for some reason will still have a white prince and a white father and its gonna be called progress
    Further illustrating all those years of criticism about self hate and being brainwashed by whiteness to prefer women who don't look like your mama was pure projection because they will support the fuck out of this movie not even thinking about the lack of black male representation the way they were trying to shame us to think about for years.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  13. The Dark King

Was with you to the last part. You do not want Harris as president if we can help it. She will use the oppression of black men as another stepping stone. That's what she does

14. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Another Wrinkle In Time it seems lmao

15. JamalSpunky

They've been doing this since Moesha's Cinderella, which was produced by Whitney Houston who wanted to give back to black girls. And what she gave was a world without black males. Granted Prince Charming was not white (Filipino I believe) but it's all the same.

it will be interesting to see who they cast as the father. This actress Halle is not biracial and doesn't look it anyway. But that may not make a difference.

16. The Dark King

Like you pointed out it didn't stop them in Cinderella or a Wrinkle in Time and it says everything to me that their idea of a love letter to black girls is one where black males don't exist. Again showing all their accusations about black men "stepping out" is pure hypocritical projection. Show me a piece of cinema where we erase black women

17. The Dark King

I hope it does just as well critically and financially

18. ColiBreh1

But, but, but...what about "Detroit"? LOL.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  19. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Good point.

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

A$AP Rocky is getting a raw deal from Swedish prosecutors who have jailed him and he faces 6 years if convicted..

He said he was protecting (white) women and now *Black Twitter are abandoning him for it.
    It's all kinds of fuckery but the bottom line is these M.E men harassed him and his crew, attacked his bodyguard and finally Rocky had had enough...

Story and Video of assaults:
    https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/04/asap-rocky-held-indefinitely-arrest-sweden/

[​IMG]
    Here is another story reporting it also...

*When Twitter learned that Rocky is claiming that he was defending White girls - many Black feminists went off. They are now calling the rapper a 'colorist, fraud and fake feminist'.

To prove their point, Black Twitter feminists are bringing up Rocky's past comments on darkskinned women, Black Lives Matter and his association with the alleged rapist Ian Connor.

Here are his actual comments:
    “So a few drug addicts are not my fans. We don’t know these guys and we didn’t want trouble,” the rapper wrote under one of the two Instagram videos he posted of the scuffle. “They followed us for 4 blocks and they were slapping girls butts who passed. Give me a break.”

Under the other, Rocky wrote, “Hits Security in face with headphones then follow us.” According to the New York Times, a video clip published by Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet allegedly shows the rapper hurling one of the men to the ground.