Byron Allen buys The Weather Channel. $300 mil

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Big move. Awesome!

[​IMG]
    Like A Boss! :cool:
    • Allen describes the channel as the number one weather news network in the U.S.
    • He said the purchase of the Weather Group was completed Thursday morning
    • 'We're just going to invest more to position it for greater success,' he said
    • The channel is available in more than 80 million North American homes
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ght-300-million-entrepreneur-Byron-Allen.html

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Wow, this is great to hear. Good for him!

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Number One? Do we even have another Weather Channel? Besides Local News Weather Report.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This headline is very misleading. I'm sure it was a joint effort its like when they said Jay-Z bought the nets no he bought an 8 percent share. Guess anything to generate clicks and shares

5. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I don't know how the TWC purchase was financed, but I think its purchase by Allen was a solo deal via his television production company, Entertainment Studios.

Allen in a somewhat lowkey way is trying to become the modern Ted Turner of cable television, more impressive because Allen started off as a comic and didn't come from a wealthy background.

6. The Dark King

Interesting

7. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

#1 in that more people tune to TWC to get their weather than any other station, local or national. Al Rocker is famous for what? National Weather reporting. TWC outrates him and all others.

No joint effort at all. His Company bought TWC. Its in the link.
    Years ago, I used to watch him host a show with him interviewing famous people and the closing credits said 'A Byron Allen Production'. He knows, like owning the rights to music and movies, owning/producing is where the money is.
    No one questions when Oprah (Harpo) buys a channel.
    I've always loved this man.

9. The Dark King

Just wasn't aware he had that kind of wealth good for him. Also rarely do companies go into ventures like this alone its all about mitigating risk.

10. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Byron had a good hour & 15 minutes interview with The Breakfast Club yesterday:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I made it to 38:35. A global chess player surrounded by fucking morons interrupting him. You can't do anything with the so-called "community." Will listen to the rest later.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Have been following this, because Comcast, who owns NBC and MSNBC, are supposedly "woke" but have allegedly iced Allen out.

Comcast's appeal hearing to The SCOTUS was scheduled for today, though not sure how it proceeded with Bader-Ginsberg calling out sick with a stomach virus.

In any event, the judges said they'd eventually have to put aside Byron's initial attempt to proceed, which was allowed through in error by the 9th Circuit, in order for them to address his core complaint --which is that he is being discriminated against.

Both Comcast and rival Charter are calling foul saying his content sucks. At stake here is $30 billion and an access demand to many millions of viewers.

Keep in mind that Comcast did approve Magic Johnson's channel and P-Diddy's channel.

Byron's comment today..

"... We are very pleased with the ruling by the Ninth Circuit to uphold their decisions in our favor for a second time. If Comcast and Charter want to pursue the Supreme Court, we are highly confident that the Supreme Court will affirm the Ninth Circuit and support these historic legal decisions. Unfortunately, Brian Roberts of Comcast and Tom Rutledge of Spectrum/Charter have refused my offers to sit down to discuss these very serious matters. Now, we have no choice but to enter the discovery phase to depose all of their executives and business associates, as well as receive all of their correspondence/emails and contracts, to prove our cases in front of a jury..."

More:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/byron-...-charter-comcast-us-appeals-court-1202505088/

13. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I heard he just did a GREAT interview with Roland Martin:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019