Book Lovers Thread

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Tamstrong, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I thought it would be nice to have a general Books thread for all of the forum book lovers. Whether it be about your favorite books and/or authors, recommendations, libraries, discussions, etc., here's the place to post them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just an FYI for those who don't know, we also have Sir Nose's thread for sharing the recent books we've read:

http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10905

2. Tamstrong

It took what felt like forever, but a release date for The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker has finally been set! Pinhead & them will be back in May 2015! :smt038

[​IMG]

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I used to read a series of books from two authors back in the 80's and 90's. They were; Irving R. Greenfield and Richard Albano.

Irving R. Greenfield wrote a series called Depth Force, a military fiction series about the adventures of Captain Jack Boxer and the crew of an advanced top secret submarine. Like Star Trek, the crew is very racially diverse and he even has an Executive Officer who is gay. Like Captain James T. Kirk, Boxer sleeps with just about every woman he meets up with(he even loved a black woman and Boxer's white).

Richard Albano was the author of a series of books called The Seventh Carrier. This was a science fiction story about the Yonaga, a WW2 Japanese aircraft carrier that was sealed in an iceberg for 40 years. When the ice broke free the ship left to carry out its mission; attacking Pearl Harbor. The entire crew of the Yonaga were old men in a new time and they had to adapt to a world at peace. A Chinese Star Wars-type laser satellite begins to blast at anything that is rocket or jet propulsion and a new arms race has begun for aircraft and warship from WW2. Yonaga and her samurai crew are all that stand between peace and World War 3.

4. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I love the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. Love most black ops and military fiction authors. Since I'm a former Navy wife, I like P.T. Deutermann's books.

5. Tamstrong

For anyone who likes Christian & biblical themed fiction, I recommend Francine Rivers. My favorite of hers is Redeeming Love, inspired by the book of Hosea from the Bible. Before she became a Christian, she wrote historical romance novels; I haven't read any of those yet though.

6. EuroChick

EuroChick New Member

Jenna Jameson's autobiography. One of my faves:

[​IMG]

7. redlady

redlady Active Member

This is my all time favorite fiction book!:DGreat read, I usually cry through the whole thing.

8. Tamstrong

Hey, Redlady! Long time, no see! I hope you've been doing well! :freehug:

I agree...great read & most definitely a tear-jerker! :smt023

9. Tamstrong

Anyone who hasn't read the Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones) series by George R. R. Martin is missing out!

I'd also like to read the other books he's written, but I haven't happened upon them yet. Our local library doesn't have them, and my book budget is pretty much nonexistent these days. :(

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Been reading less and listening to audiobooks don't know if that counts but two books I'm into right now are

Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think
    I so needed this book, I tend to be very cynical about the future and the nature of human beings but this book gives me hope that things can be better and that we are on the right track to things being so. Its not just a feel good fluff but actual tangible data driven thoughts about what's coming and its not all doom and gloom as I often think.

Also listening to No Such Thing As Werewolves which is a great listen if you enjoy the sci-fi/fantasy mix.

11. Tamstrong

Yep, audiobooks count too. I prefer to read, but I do listen to them on rare occasions.

I haven't read "Abundance", but I'm glad to hear that it's helping you see the future in a better light. :smt023

12. Tamstrong

13. Tamstrong

14. Tamstrong

15. Tamstrong

16. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

^ lol

I'm always reading books and papers in the areas of science, philosophy, and art. Currently, I'm sloughing my way through Lives of the Poets by Micheal Schmidt. It's a weighty book, but highly readable. You don't often get to hear directly from those ballsy enough to edit and publish the poets heralded through the times. Another book I'm reading is Consilience by E.O. Wilson. His brilliance is self-explanatory. And I don't often read fiction, but I was so disappointed with the season finale of Sherlock, I was determined to redeem the character in any way possible. Sir Authur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes is enthralling to say the least.

17. Tamstrong

Sounds like a lot of good reading going on, MQ. :smt023 I bought the Lives of the Poets, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Thanks for the reminder. I do tend to be more drawn to fiction since I write a lot of fiction myself (that's also part of why I love poetry so much), but I read a lot of non-fiction as well. Thanks for sharing, BTW. :D

18. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

^ I'm loving the chapter on Jonathan Swift, John Gay, and Alexander Pope.

And yeah, maybe because of you I developed a taste for limericks.

19. Tamstrong

I'll definitely be reading it as soon as I can.

Awesomeness. :smt023 It's nice to know I'm not a completely bad influence. ;)

20. Tamstrong