Black men don't smile?

Discussion in 'Stereotypes and Myths' started by brewcitychick, Dec 8, 2007.

1. brewcitychick

brewcitychick New Member

OK, this is the one stereotype/myth that I have seen in many bm around my age. Specifically, that bm are less likely to smile in pictures. What is this? Is this a regional trend or does it have to due more with black culture? Or is this unique to my personal experiences and I am just making something out of nothing?

Please share your unique experiences or thoughts!

2. ---woman---

---woman--- New Member

I've never noticed such thing!
    Lots of smiley faces on their avatars here. :D

3. KnCA

KnCA New Member

I don't know what your age group is.

I think it's men in general though and not a racial thing. Some men (on here even) will say that the smile thing is "cheezy" so they don't do it.

I've noticed that a lot of younger guys aren't big on smiling in pics.

4. brewcitychick

brewcitychick New Member

KNCA - I think you might be onto something...

I am only in my mid twenties, so maybe age has something to do with it. Or maybe it is just that my bf is a fuddy duddy! I have to tell a joke while we are having our picture taken in order to get him to smile. Which is a shame because he has the sexiest smile I have ever seen!

It is always good to get a different perspective :)

5. jellybird

jellybird New Member

I dont think its an age thing. I definitely think its culture. Im not a big "smiler" and none of my black friends or even guys from my old neighborhood were "smilers." But I also grew up in a rough neighborhood and lets just say that the emphasis definitely was on looking tough, not friendly.

Brewcitychick, have you noticed a difference between black guys from "rougher" areas vs. suburban (middleclass) areas?

Maybe it is a black thang...along with the "head bob" and hand shakes.

6. DI

DI New Member

I dont think it depends of skin colour! i can even say the BM have the best humour! I always lough a lot with them! I love their humour!!!!

7. KnCA

KnCA New Member

I think there is a thing about wanting to look tougher or cooler or something. Not that they would necessarily admit to that.

I think it is sortof a trend. Look at pics of celebs and such....many of they aren't smiling and are doing more the deep looks into the camera.

I'm really big on eyes and smiles - I want to see them!

8. dudaroosky

dudaroosky New Member

Well for me, it's not about looking "hard" or "tough", it's the fact that I choose not to.

9. AliasSmithandJones

AliasSmithandJones New Member

People tell me that I have a great smile and that I smile a lot, but when I'm not smiling, if I'm focused on something or just thinking people say I look "mean or angry", which isn't the case. I don't try to look hard, but whatever my mood is, if I'm not ammused or entertained, my expression usually doesn't feature a smile. I have to have a reason to smile. If I'm amused, particularly happy or something you'll see a smile. Otheriwise you get :-|.

10. Bryant

Bryant New Member

I smile in almost all of my pictures now. When i was younger i didn't, because i thought it was cheezy. But now i don't care, i just smile away. :lol:

11. MistressB

MistressB New Member

I would wish for men to smile all the time. There is not much that is prettier than a set of beautiful white teeth against dark skin! (on men and women).

I am now having flashbacks of my mother marvelling over how white and clean my (Ghanaian) ex's cuticles looked against his very dark fingers, and how white his teeth were! haha... :lol: he was a beautiful man, to be fair!

12. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I smile a lot when I'm happy. I try not to frown unless it is necessary. In most of my photos I smile.

13. ---woman---

---woman--- New Member

Agree!!
    Is it just me or do majority of black men have almost unearthly white teeth!? Maybe it's just the color contrast that baffles me.. :lol:

Keep smiling, you have a cute one!
    I seem to have a permanent case of grin face too when being photographed :lol:

14. brewcitychick

brewcitychick New Member

That is unfortunate - but it might explain why us ladies might be less inclined to approach some of you "non-smiling" guys! lol

This is why I like to crack jokes around my man all the time; so I get a glimpse of his award winning smile :D :D :D

15. jellybird

jellybird New Member

Very true! I think its something I need to address because its one thing to not smile, but its another to look mean. And people always tell me I look mean, even when really Im in a pretty good mood.

Maybe I (along with every other man in the world) need a wonderful woman such as yourself to make me smile more often. :smt058

16. joliemarie

joliemarie Guest

17. Chigirl

Chigirl New Member

:smt045

18. brewcitychick

brewcitychick New Member

Here here Jolie!

I challenge all of you "non-smilers" to post some pics featuring your beautiful smiles :) There is a pics thread going...you know what to do :wink:

19. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

think it may be a cultural/class and age thing.

seems alot of the poor and working class whites and blacks dont seem to smile --may be also its urban vs rural.

many are posing, many are acting out stereotype to be so called "cool"--lame.

also many of the youth think being or acting angry makes one cool.

also there are ligitimate reasons for their look--horrible family life, drugs, alcohol, poverty and lack of personality, whining

20. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Well-Known Member

That's probably the case for many "non-smilers."

I smile when I'm happy (which is most of the time) but I don't smile just because it's "polite" or "classy." If I'm smiling...it's for good reason and not as a way to shield any emotional turmoil.

But people do need to smile more...so here goes.... :D