Beyonce and Colorism

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

And what do you mean by "that kind of thinking" do you have to think about something before you find it pretty? This isn't about thinking. You're following your emotions right now.

Edit: some guys don't like skinny girls. Does that mean they all look alike? Enough of that bullshit explanation.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Skin lightening is an ugly fad in parts of Africa. No, not all of them are doing it. But many of them are. I've seen it personally among some African immigrants in this country. It looks crazy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

LOL. Dude. That's cold. And inaccurate.

I see fine dark skinned women in D.C and Virginia everyday. I'm not going to photo bomb this thread to make a point, but you do realize you just said it's rare for a dark skinned BW to be pretty??

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

If you believe people can be born gay, then perhaps Coop is naturally not attracted to bw. Same line of reasoning, be consistent. I don't agree with him, but it would be silly to take my opinion as fact.

5. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

There is a difference between saying "I don't feel attracted to black women/a certain woman" and "those are the only pretty black women in the whole country" which means in essence "all but a statistically insignificant minority of black women are ugly". No-one is forced to be attracted to anyone, but it generally sounds better to just state it as a personal opinion as in "I don't find them attractive" than wording it like a judgement or a put-down of an entire people group. Cos we all know there are attractive people of every race, just that we might not be attracted to them. I know some people will call this nit-picking but I think it can clear up some misunderstandings here.

6. Madeleine

Mostly women. Looks pretty awful, let alone the health risk. Knuckles and knees will be three shades darker than the rest.
    If African Americans don't do it then that's a good thing. Of course not all Africans do it either.

7. Madeleine

Of course they can be racist.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

You add your thoughts and commentary. Who's acting triggered now? If it were one sided you wouldn't respond. Try again

9. The Dark King

What do you think empathy is?
    My point was I don't have to be a black woman to speak up when someone pretends there is no such thing as an attractive dark skin woman.

10. The Dark King

It adds to the dehumanizing rhetoric. We have clear historical examples of how this shit hurts people and shapes attitudes. If you think Lupita ain't cute fine that's personal preference saying no dark skin woman can be attractive or its extremely rare adds to the narrative that black woman dark skin women in particular have no value. It translates into how we as a society treat them. So weird how you really don't see this.

11. The Dark King

Sad when white women gotta school you on racial sensitivity.
    Preach on sis

12. The Dark King

Might be Lupus. A LOT more people have it than I ever suspected and the flare ups reek havoc on your skin

13. Madeleine

LOL! You are welcome Bro ;-)

No, that actually applies to everything, not just racial issues. Generalisations don’t make good points and personal opinions/ preferences shouldn’t be worded as judgements.

14. Madeleine

Might be, but trust me, lots of African (women) ACTUALLY use lightening products.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-20444798

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  15. K

K Well-Known Member

Skin lightening/bleaching goes on here too. There are all sorts of creams, lotions, products that are selling, so someone's doing it.

I don't think it's one of those things that people are out talking about.

16. K

K Well-Known Member

That's discoid lupus and it's most often more of a rash, swelling, and sores. Sometimes patches of light skin (or darker skin) where there has been rashes and/or sores. People with lupus don't necessarily have skin involvement. Sometimes it can be the meds they use too (as well as meds others use). There are also other skin conditions/diseases that can cause changes.

ETA - a lot more people do have it than others realize, it's tough to dx and often will take years and many docs to do so. Flares can cause all sorts of different issues depending on what is under attack. Some people have more organ involvement than others.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Again. If you believe people are born gay then perhaps Coop was born not attracted to bw. Be consistent.

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That's your reason for it? Hurt feelings? Lol.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

To most people women have value outside of appearance. If some women think being attractive is their only chance to have value. Who's problem is that?

20. The Dark King

To most people? What made up world do you live in? Women are usually judged on their appearance first.

Ladies input please