Beyonce and Colorism

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Somebody called Taylor can’t be dark skinned. (Joke)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

No she's brown skin at best. Issa Rae is dark skin homegirl from Queen Sugar is dark skin. The female cast from Black Panther is dark skin. That's your litmus

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

@andreboba@The Dark King @darkcurry Jesse Williams is now dating Taylor Rooks: https://people.com/tv/jesse-williams-dating-sportsnet-anchor-taylor-rooks/

[​IMG] I can't even say that Jesse is pandering with this move. Taylor Rooks is BAD AF.

[​IMG] Ironically she's 1 of the few non-lightskin/redbone/biracial/exotical BW I actually follow on IG (Not counting BW I know from real life of course).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  4. The Dark King

5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I think Lupita is gorgeous, but I agree with an earlier post that she fits a singular style of beauty. I don't think it's the "white standard" of beauty, but I believe it's an international, runway, haute couture, glamour standard, not the earthy, big-boned, plumper, Rubenesque style of woman that many guys like, particularly in magazines targeted toward black working-class men. That's to be expected, since she comes out of an acting background, rather than beginning her career as an urban booty model styled diva.

6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I'd say she's brown skin but in some photos she looks darker. Obviously she's a non-light skinned BW.

I feel like Jesse Williams because the base of his support are BW, whenever he decides to date a woman, if they're both equally phine and one is Black and the other a non-BW, his publicist is telling him to go for the sista.lol

7. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Been watching Luke Cage season 2 over the last several days. I'm 10 episodes in. Do y'all consider the actress that plays Mariah's daughter (& also played Morris Chestnut's lesbian sister on FOX's "Rosewood"), Gabrielle Dennis, darkskin or nah?

@The Dark King @andreboba

8. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I think the three main skin tones that people refer to are light skin, brown skin, and dark skin. I would say that she is brown skin. I hope this helps.

I also just watched episode 10, and it was great.

9. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I'd say brown skinnded. She's gorgeous

10. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

DUDE. POWER MAN AND IRON FIST. That set piece/fight scene where they wrecked the grow house to that Wu-Tang soundtrack was FLAMES. I rewatched it like 6 times

11. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Man, that shit was
    [​IMG]

I wish they would make a spinoff of a certain rudeboy.

12. The Dark King

We have to be the most race obsessed country on the planet. All this shit is so time consuming and exhausting and proves nothing in the long run

But after going through this thread you have to empathize with black women because everything about blackness and beauty boils down to colorism. Pretty only exists if you have a non black counterpart to water down the blackness. I know this aint the site for black woman beauty but scrolling through and noticing how popular and celebrated these women are you see a pattern.

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Dark skinned women usually don't date dark skinned brothers. Not sure what there is to emphasize about. Dark skin on dark skin has never been illegal or hated on.

14. The Dark King

Well not codified into law but there was and is a favor for light skin that makes dark skin bad by default. Look at literally any culture on earth and usual concensus is a deep hatred for the darker skin population of that country.

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

So feeling sorry for dark skin women that don't date dark skin men supposed to make sense? Why? Because they are dark skin??

16. The Dark King

No just acknowledging the sad state of affairs that makes black people despise those that look like them

17. The Dark King

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Well we already know black men dont care about beauty standards, we like what we like. Black men here have gave plenty reason why they prefer ww.

So if you want to use some general mindset to specifically feel sorry for black women don't be shocked when people here aren't feeling it.

19. The Dark King

Fam its detrimental to us as well. I assume your lighter skin so colorism means nothing or has no effect on you personally so its all good.
    Anything that diminishes the way those I care about or how future children may feel about themselves to me is worth addressing.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol. Tell me again how beauty standards are detrimental.